PDA

View Full Version : out of tennis for awhile what racket is like Wilson PS 85, Head CP 600, Ti.Radical MP

2ndServe
03-26-2008, 10:51 PM
been out of it for sometime but started to play again and can't believe I took such a long haitus without missing it. Played juniors, modern strokes, one handed backhand. Only rackets I've played and like were the Wilson Original PS 85, Head Classic Prestige 600 and the Head Ti.Radical MP. I prefer a dense string pattern.

Which of the new rackets fits the bill. I don't really like changing rackets but if tennis tech nowadays is anything like golf tech I'm going to want some of the new stuff. Or are the newer rackets not that much different.

krchawaii
03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
i would continue to play with those racquets if i were you

Rasta
03-27-2008, 04:35 AM
The Wilson K Blade 98 or Tour would seem to be a possibility. It has a dense string pattern and is fairly low powered.

lawrence
03-27-2008, 05:15 AM
k90 apparently, ive never demoed it for myself but people say its the closest to the ps85 atm

rocket
03-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Only rackets I've played and like were the Wilson Original PS 85, Head Classic Prestige 600 and the Head Ti.Radical MP. I prefer a dense string pattern.

Which of the new rackets fits the bill. I don't really like changing rackets but if tennis tech nowadays is anything like golf tech I'm going to want some of the new stuff. Or are the newer rackets not that much different.

K-Blade Tour, Head Microgel Prestige, Becker 11 Mid.

2ndServe
03-27-2008, 06:41 AM
anyone played with those old rackets and the new ones? Big improvement, or not much at all? I know strings have come a long ways but I've seen rackets come and go and the Original PS 85 6.0, Head CP 600, PS Classic 6.1 etc seem to perform as good as any for 5.0+ players. What makes the new ones better?

Pushmaster
03-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Those are all great sticks, unfortunately there's nothing new that's as good. Used 85's are still easy to find, but the PC 600 and Ti Rad are not. A new PC 600 just sold on the big auction site for a whopping $415! Obviously the PC 600 is still in big demand, but anybody who pays over 400 bucks for a racquet should have their head examined.

rocket
03-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Obviously the PC 600 is still in big demand, but anybody who pays over 400 bucks for a racquet [PC 600]should have their head examined.

Pun intended? :)

caesar66
03-27-2008, 06:53 AM
anyone played with those old rackets and the new ones? Big improvement, or not much at all? I know strings have come a long ways but I've seen rackets come and go and the Original PS 85 6.0, Head CP 600, PS Classic 6.1 etc seem to perform as good as any for 5.0+ players. What makes the new ones better?

The short answer: not a thing. The strings, just as you mentioned, are the big deal; because they allow players to take bigger cuts at the ball by adding spin and keeping them in, they have really changed the game in favor of the more modern game. The specs of player's racquets that come out now aren't that different from before. Aside from things like O3 and flexpoint "technologies," they are really just updating the paint and tweaking the specs a bit. This is why so many pro players are using PC600s under flexpoint and microgel paintjobs and 6.1 classics under k95 paint. As to your original post, I would opt for something in the 95-98" headsize with a dense pattern, since you said you prefer them. This opens up a wealth of possibilities: newer prestiges, newer 6.1s that offer 18x20 stringbeds, Technifibres with dense patterns, even the nblade/kblade from wilson. But as previously stated, the strings are the big difference, so I'd recommend going cheap and buying liquidation or sale off of TW or buying off of the for sale or trade boards, rather than spending lots of money on a new paintjob. Spend that extra money on the strings :)

rocket
03-27-2008, 06:54 AM
the Original PS 85 6.0, Head CP 600, PS Classic 6.1 etc seem to perform as good as any for 5.0+ players. What makes the new ones better?

Not much, just a tad lighter & more powerful for modern rapid-firing.

Pushmaster
03-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Pun intended? :)

Lol. I didn't even think about it, just came out that way.

tzinc
03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
DEMO some newer racquets!

luv2volley
03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Not much, just a tad lighter & more powerful for modern rapid-firing.

Echo above plus newer poly strings to keep the balls in. You probably have long fast strokes since you've been using PS85 and PC600.