PDA

View Full Version : Noveson (others too): Can compare the Yonex RDS-001 MP and Tecnifibre TF 320?

AndrewD
03-27-2008, 03:11 AM
Noveson,

I remember you had both the RDS-001 MP and TF 320 (not sure which string pattern), so I was wondering if you could make any comparisons between the two racquets ? I've been looking for an alternative to the Wilson nSix-One 95 ( 16x18 ) that has a slightly larger head size but retains the balance and weight. Might be nothing better (and I might have no choice), however, the RDS-001 MP and TF 320 do appear to match up reasonably well and I'm interested to hear what someone who has used both racquets thinks of them. If you can compare them to an nSix-One 95 or kSix-One 95, that'd be a bonus.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

tfm1973
03-27-2008, 04:14 AM
andrew -- i was a longtime yonex fan using the RDX 500 MP (16x19) for years and then the RDS003 and now the TF320 (16x19). i haven't hit with the RDS001 - it sounds shallow but i could never get past the neon yellow paintjob. even still i'm not quite so sure it would've been right for me.

the RDS001 MP and the TF320 look similar on specs. but there is a rather significant difference in stiffness with the RDS001 being a good deal stiffer. i would imagine that could mean more pop but maybe not as comfy.

at any rate i love my TF320's. i've picked up 5 of em so i'm committed for awhile. to me it's a racquet that does everything great but nothing exceptional. for example i think i had a bit more control with my RDX 500 MP but it's not like i'm missing wildly with the TF320. on serves i could bomb a flat serve with the RDS003 better than i can with the TF320 but again it's no slouch. to me anyway it's a racquet that is B+ across the board but it also lets you play with it. i have one with leather grip to make it more headlight. i have another with some lead at 12 and it seems to raise the sweetspot just a smidge and a bit more plow.

hope that helps you somewhat. definitely demo both though. the microgel prestige pro should also be on your list. i'd be playing with these if they weren't $200 a pop. :)

dacrymn
03-27-2008, 05:04 AM
I disagree on one part. Despite the fact that their specs look the same, they're incredibly different - the TF320 feels a good deal stiffer. By this, i don't mean it's "crisper" (whatever you take that to mean), i mean it feels harder, more harsh. It doesn't feel as comfortable, although it played decently. Nothing special, in my opinion. Demo it.

tfm1973
03-27-2008, 05:11 AM
i haven't hit with the RDS001 (68 flex) and yes specs and feel are different but the TF320 (64 flex) is 4 points more flexy than the RDS001 (not a little amount). does the RDS001 really feel more flexible? i believe you if you've hit with both but now it makes me at least want to demo the RDS001 despite its BLINDINGLY bright paint. :)

were they strung with the same string or type of string?

jmverdugo
03-27-2008, 06:24 AM
I am a RDS001 MP user and lover, sadly it is not easy to get them locally so i have demo some technifibres as they have a dealer in my town. I have also had a small hit with an nsix 1 95, it was 18x20, the yonex racket is definitively easier to swing and i felt like the wilson racket was stiffer, and not in a nice way like the yonex, so i think you probably will notice a drastic change on the feeling, overall i still like the yonex better. Regarding the TF320, i have hitted with the one with the 18x20 pattern and it has a little less power than the RDS001 but it didnt feel uncomfortable at all, it is more comfortable and more powerfull than the nsix 1, i just didnt feel the ball the way im used to. Finally i tried the tf 305 and is, in my opinion, the best racket in the feeling and power department (among the rackets i have mentioned of course), if i have to change ill do it to the 305 and put some lead on it to match what im used to handle.

Coming from the nsix one, i think you will find the RDS001 MP easier to swing, a bit more powerfull and better on the topspin area, it has less "plow-thru" than the nsix one yet is not a feather and can certainly crush the ball.

Obviusly the best you can do is to demo.
JMO.

Ross K
03-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Noveson, AndrewD, others who know the TF 320 (18x20),

I'd be v/interested to hear ppls general views on the TF 320 (18x20.) Now I've really enjoyed the PSC 6.1. It has certain qualities I love in a frame - super solid stability, 'heavy ball' and plow capacity, great power on groundies and serve. However, I'm beginning to realise more with each day that I could do with a frame that's lighter to move around and with easier access to topspin. The obvious candidate is the N95, but ppl say it's only marginally less hefty than the PSC, and so, of a few frames I'm looking into, I wonder if you good folks can tell me what you think of the 320 18x20.

BTW, Sorry - I don't mean to jack this thread!

Cheers

R.

ohhgourami
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Noveson, AndrewD, others who know the TF 320 (18x20),

I'd be v/interested to hear ppls general views on the TF 320 (18x20.) Now I've really enjoyed the PSC 6.1. It has certain qualities I love in a frame - super solid stability, 'heavy ball' and plow capacity, great power on groundies and serve. However, I'm beginning to realise more with each day that I could do with a frame that's lighter to move around and with easier access to topspin. The obvious candidate is the N95, but ppl say it's only marginally less hefty than the PSC, and so, of a few frames I'm looking into, I wonder if you good folks can tell me what you think of the 320 18x20.

BTW, Sorry - I don't mean to jack this thread!

Cheers

R.

If you want something that swings lighter than the PSC, the K95 is a good choice. I have a PSC and i do like my k95 a lot more. i only got the chance to hold a n95 and it felt heavier than my k95. if the stiffness isnt too much, you would probably like it. yes it is kinda stiff but it is also very solid.

bertrevert
03-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Andrew I don't think you'd enjoy the (lack of) manouverability of the 001 MP (the MID is ver manouverable) as it doesn't fit what I believe is your game style (s&v?) I mean you're not a baseliner are you and that where the MP excels from.

I think you'd find the head shape and odd fit if you do tend to go all-court as well. Two great baseliners (Nalby and Hewitt) used the MP and the MID of this stick and that's a good-ish guide.

I know you had the MG Rad MP for a moment (me too) but just as an aside can I steer you towards the kBlade 98 or Tour.

Man I have had two hits with the kBlade 98 and I am sold sold sold (more on this later).

I used demoed the k95 16 x 18 extensively and that was just too heavy (and way nasty stiff if like me you have an older elbow).

I am a long-term LM Rad user and the kBlade is just solidfying my game in ALL areas (serve still to come) and am amazed at it.

I could not get the 001 MP quite serving how I wanted and abandoned it sharpish...

AndrewD
03-29-2008, 01:23 AM
bertrevert,

One of my biggest concerns is going down in weight. Prior to using the nSix-One 95 I had been experiencing wrist pain. After a lot of experimenting I firmly believe that was caused by using racquets that were either too light or had too low a swingweight wherein the lack of heft allowed me to unwittingly develop a bit of 'wrist' in my forehand which resulted in the pain. Within a week of using the nSix-One 95 the discomfort had gone. I can feel my wrist is far more 'solid' when hitting and I put that down to the overall combination of static weight and swingweight (the very head light balance making it still quite mobile). Performance-wise, my only hesitation revolves around the 95sq head size. I think I might do better with something slightly larger although, that said, I'm getting a considerable performance boost with the 95sq Wilson over the 98sq Volkls I was using.

So, my concern regarding the KBlade is head size (the 93sq Tour) and weight (KBlade 98 ).