PDA

View Full Version : Starting ice cold, trouble warming up...

NotAtTheNet
03-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Since I've started playing tennis (like 8 years ago, with a recent 3 year break), I've always had issues of warming up. In fact I usually need about 50-60 fed balls b4 my forehand will start to find its groove. If I play a match without warming up (bc I'm usually running late), I'm guaranteed to either frame the ball, hit it into the ground or the net, or over the fence... so often I resort to pushing a little bit in the beginning.

I play with my Prince More Response strung at 60. Lately though I found I find my groove immediate with my babolat PD strung at 56 bc it kind of flattens out my shots, but I have trouble hitting kill shots (lots of topspin, really hard) with it. So now I've resorted to using the PD in a match when I can't warm up, and once I've found my groove, I'll switch back to the More Response.

My question after this long set up is, does anyone else have this problem, and if any of you guys have any tips on warming up quickly? This happens no matter how much I play (against a live partner 2x a week, vs wall 3x a week, so i play about 5x a week).

Bungalo Bill
03-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Since I've started playing tennis (like 8 years ago, with a recent 3 year break), I've always had issues of warming up. In fact I usually need about 50-60 fed balls b4 my forehand will start to find its groove. If I play a match without warming up (bc I'm usually running late), I'm guaranteed to either frame the ball, hit it into the ground or the net, or over the fence... so often I resort to pushing a little bit in the beginning.

My question after this long set up is, does anyone else have this problem, and if any of you guys have any tips on warming up quickly? This happens no matter how much I play (against a live partner 2x a week, vs wall 3x a week, so i play about 5x a week).

Uhhhh, yeah, I do. But I am 48 years old and the older I get the longer the warm-up. At tournaments you donthave the luxury of chatting with the boys/gals and warming up for what seems like hours.

No, you have 10 minutes. 10 minutes! Yikes! That barely gives me time for my body to work out a BM in the bathroom!

So, one of the good things about your post is you have realized that you are slow to warm-up. So if you are truly serious about getting into rhythm sooner you will have to do some things prior to getting on the court.

You can:

1. Jump rope

2. Hit against a wall

3. Jog

4. Perform some sprints

Jut do something prior to you stepping onto court as much as you can. If I have a match, I usually jump rope and go for a couple mile jog. For some reason, I find I warm-up quicker.

Caloi
03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
I can sympathize with you. I played a very friendly two sets with my dad yesterday and after we were done I asked him if it was okay if I hit some 'real' first serves as my shoulder was finally warmed up. :shock:

I had shoulder problems from pitching in baseball from, oh, let's see here, age 8-28 or so. I had a cortizone shot when I was 13 and it helped a bunch. Now at 35 I am wanting another. I work out regularly and do stretching exercizes on my shoulders daily but still deal with tightness and a little pain.

For me, it's best if I stretch starting an hour from when I'll be playing and if possible I'll do some shoulder presses with barbells and maybe even throw a football around. I do all this at home before showing up. I also use the heat patches to keep it warm. If I'm coming from work I'll hit the gym here for a few minutes and do some full rotational moves with the pulley on about 35 pounds to loosen up the old shoulder.

I don't have a problem getting into a groove with anything else other than my first serve. If I show up and blast a few first serves my shoulder is done.

user92626
03-27-2008, 08:13 AM
I have the exact same problem. If I didn't warm up properly, not only would I hit crappy shots, I'd also be prone to hurt myself, like instantly hitting very hard with wrist or arm.

So now I've made a promise to myself that I'd come to the court, go to the wall and hit lightly for at least 30 mins using all the strokes. No one in the group I play with likes to practice or warm up. :)

NiteFly
03-27-2008, 10:31 AM
I also have the same issue. I am pretty much going to lose the first set most of the time. For me, I think I have to rebuild any confidence in my strokes every time I set foot on the court. I'm hoping that goes away as my game progresses.

Julieta
03-27-2008, 05:04 PM

I play with my Prince More Response strung at 60. Lately though I found I find my groove immediate with my babolat PD strung at 56 bc it kind of flattens out my shots, but I have trouble hitting kill shots (lots of topspin, really hard) with it. So now I've resorted to using the PD in a match when I can't warm up, and once I've found my groove, I'll switch back to the More Response.

Jumping rope as someone said is one of the best. I can't really do it anymore myself because I have a foot problem and tennis is enough damage. But it really works. You want to get a light sweat going and really just get out some of that nervous energy. If you want to get really crazy, there's a whole warm up routine you can do off the court before you even get there. The idea is to warm up all of the muscles you'll be using, so for example you do a few lunges to warm up the legs, medicine ball tosses to warm up the core, you can swing two racquets together to warm up your shoulders, etc., you can throw a dog toy around for reaction time etc., do shadow tennis (practice swings). If you search for dynamic warm ups (I think that is what they call it) you can find some suggestions.

LuckyR
03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Ride your bike to the match.