PDA

View Full Version : lookin for some help on a one handed backhand

anbu4ever11
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
i normally used to use a two hand backhand and the occasional one hand swing here or there but i developed my game more and now my forehand is the strongest and my two hand seems to be lacking.i try the one handed and it feels better somewhat,not alot of pace but it feels better.when i hit a two hand i feel like my footing is all weird idk.i was wondering if theres any good videos or info on really developing a one hand backhand and if there are different grips for it and such.oh and is it bad to maybe switch between both.like maybe return with a two hand and then go to one?thanks

watermantra
03-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Great videos and instruction can be found at fuzzyyellowballs.com. There is detailed stroke analysis and wonderful slow motion videos of both the teaching pros, and touring pros.

Great start.

anbu4ever11
03-27-2008, 11:15 AM
thanks and one thing i dont think i get about it is when the ball is really like upper chest to neck height,how are u suppose to hit that one handed

watermantra
03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty short (5'6") so a good deal of my backhands end up at that height. The thing for me is to try my best to take the ball on the rise, so that I hit it about waist height.

If that is impossible, and I have to hit a high ball, I do one of two things...

1) Hit a slice.

2) I alter my takeback (higher takeback) which prepares me better to hit a higher ball.

One thing that I noticed when I was younger and learning to hit, was that with higher balls I was really likely to hit late. Make sure you're still contacting the ball out in front. Obviously, you won't be able to get the pace you would like on these high balls. Just do your best to hit it cleanly and with fluidity. So early preparation is key.

Also, you might think of how you handled high balls with your two hander. They face a similar dilemma to one handers, with the exception that they have two hands on the racquet which puts them in a better position to muscle the ball, if needed. But high balls are hard for nearly everyone on the backhand side.

Djokovicfan4life
03-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Try slicing those high balls and try to improve your footwork. Those high balls don't have to be high balls if you move back or forward quickly.

Seifersquall1
03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Great videos and instruction can be found at fuzzyyellowballs.com. There is detailed stroke analysis and wonderful slow motion videos of both the teaching pros, and touring pros.

Great start.

You can also view this: http://sportskool.com/videos/basic-backhand

anbu4ever11
03-27-2008, 09:13 PM
thanks guys i appreciate it alot and im deffinitly goin to try all these out.