PDA

View Full Version : 60% of serves going 1-2ft past the box

Eph
03-27-2008, 12:12 PM
About 60% of my serves are going 1-2 ft past the box. About 2 in 50 shots are going into the net.

I obviously need to get more serves in the box. What can I do to accomplish this? Any tips/tricks that can be offered? It's getting rather frustrating.

flash9
03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Without seeing your service motion it is hard to know for sure.

When I am serving long or deep, I tend to try to toss the ball slightly more out into the court. Kind of chasing it a little. Something to try.

NotAtTheNet
03-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Hard to diagnose with a vid or you describing your serving motion. I'd say, make sure you're tossing the ball a lil in front of you, not over your head. If all else fails, kick serve it, add some spin to pull it down.

Eph
03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Isn't the ball suppose to be tossed directly above your head?

Djokovicfan4life
03-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Isn't the ball suppose to be tossed directly above your head?

No, that is probably why you're having so much trouble. Ideally you want to toss a little into the court. This will enable you to put your entire body into the shot for more power. Also make sure that you make contact with the ball as high as possible for a greater margin for error.

Pr0DiGy
03-27-2008, 12:34 PM
The toss above your head? Completely the opposite. You have no idea how many times I've been told that my serve is going out because the toss is behind my head. An exact quote from my coach, "if you don't get the toss in front of your head and not on top of it, you'll never get the serve in, it'll just keep going long like the last two serves did."

Nellie
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
If you toss over your head, and make any forward motion, the ball will be behind you and you will be hitting up at the ball so that it will always go long. So you will compensate by not moving forward, and arming the ball in. The better choose is to toss in front and as moving forward to contact at a good spot.

Eph
03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
No, that is probably why you're having so much trouble. Ideally you want to toss a little into the court. This will enable you to put your entire body into the shot for more power. Also make sure that you make contact with the ball as high as possible for a greater margin for error.

Hah! Wonderful. I'll try this over the weekend when I get some court time (snow still isn't gone here).

How far back do you stand from the line? 2-3 inches? And how far should the ball be past your head?

NotAtTheNet
03-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I try to have the ball be about a couple inches infront of my lead foot.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-27-2008, 02:52 PM
What I do is to experiment a bit with where I throw the ball. I see that if its going into the net, I know I should throw the ball not as far forward. I also know if its going long I should throw the ball more into the court, while keeping everything else the same (correct).

Do what feels most comfortable and gets the serve in consistently with pace. Although, normally its a couple inches past your lead foot as stated above in another post. It all depends on the other components of your serve.

Djokovicfan4life
03-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Hah! Wonderful. I'll try this over the weekend when I get some court time (snow still isn't gone here).

How far back do you stand from the line? 2-3 inches? And how far should the ball be past your head?

Depends on your ablilty. Can you jump like my dad, i.e. 3 inches off the ground, or are you planning on exploding into the ball like Andy Roddick?

Eph
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Depends on your ablilty. Can you jump like my dad, i.e. 3 inches off the ground, or are you planning on exploding into the ball like Andy Roddick?

I usually have a slight jump in my serve (probably not 3 inches).

fastdunn
03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
hitting it long is generally considered "better" mistake than hitting the net.

if you hit it long, you actually have to swing it more upward. it sounds conflicting, but as long as you have correct grip(continental or deeper) and has correct swing path, that's how it works.

Eph
03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
What do you mean, "swing it more upward"?

BeHappy
03-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Well that's what happens when someone with a 92mph baseball pitch decides to serve with his weaker arm...

How long have you been playing?
6 months?

It's not too late!!!!!

Eph
03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Well that's what happens when someone with a 92mph baseball pitch decides to serve with his weaker arm...

How long have you been playing?
6 months?

It's not too late!!!!!

Heh, you guys are never going to give up until it's Me v Roddick and I end up holding the fastest serve as a lefty, are you? ;p

I took a hiatus for my knee and the weather, just got back into it these past two weeks. Probably served about 300 times.

Switching is not as easy as you make it sound, unfortunately.

BeHappy
03-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Heh, you guys are never going to give up until it's Me v Roddick and I end up holding the fastest serve as a lefty, are you? ;p

I took a hiatus for my knee and the weather, just got back into it these past two weeks. Probably served about 300 times.

Switching is not as easy as you make it sound, unfortunately.

this is ridiculous, it's not a case of switching, it's a case of jettisoning your crappy, zero potential right handed serve for your potential professional level serve.

junbumkim
03-27-2008, 06:09 PM
It could be your toss if you are tossing directly above your head. It should be a little out in front of you. Some people toss about 2 ft into the court, others toss closer to their body. But I think people would agree about a foot is a good toss out in front.

Before you do anything drastic to your motion, make sure your arm and grip are loss enough to cause natural wrist snap.

Also make sure you are getting into the scratch position quick enough. It's a good idea start with your racket high enough and then add backswing after you get into groove.

i8myshirt
03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Wait, you're serving with your crappy arm? Is it to not stress it or something? Just so you know, you won't really damage your arm unless you have the wrong technique.