PDA

View Full Version : Why does the Fischer M pro SL feel so light?

Djokovicfan4life
03-27-2008, 12:40 PM
I've been using this racquet for the past few months and the difference in swing speed is nothing short of incredible, even though I've used racquets of about the same weight before. So why does this stick feel so light? Is that magnetic speed thing actually for real, and not just marketing BS?

TonyB
03-27-2008, 01:42 PM
The "M-Speed" feature has nothing to do with swing speed. It's supposed to add control and stability to the frame through some mechanism using magnetism.

The "effortless swing speed" of the Fischer is due to the profile of the frame itself. It cuts through the air like a knife. Very easy to swing, probably the easiest swinging racquet I've ever used.

Unfortunately, despite the relatively high static weight (almost 12 oz.), I found that the M-Speed got pushed around a bit at the net and off-center shots just dropped dead. Something strange about the stability of that racquet that didn't match my game.

PackardDell
03-27-2008, 03:37 PM
clever distribution of mass. It is designed for the forehand. At the last part of a forehand you bent your elbow. Now Fischer distributed the mass in such a way the bending of your elbow is very easy. This results in heavy spin balls you can hit (which are probably not result of the open string pattern it also features).

Great stick IMO

astra
03-28-2008, 01:01 AM
clever distribution off mass.

That is true. The racquet is rarely well balanced for topspin, flat and slice strokes.
Originally I hated this racquet, because I tested it twice strung with harsh poly. During actual price reduction of the red-green version, I tried it again strung with syn gut, what I have been using. I ended by buying 3 pcs.

The racquet is really head light, what makes it a little unstable against heavy hitters (compared to customized 350g Head LM Prestige MP). However, I will keep this setup (no added lead), because I want to save my wrist and elbow, what do not like head heavy racquets. Otherwise, the racquet is great.

0d1n
03-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Low swing weight and like others said already even if it's mass is not really light...the way it's distributed makes for effortless swings.
Very very good all court racket, and great feel...but my balls don't go through the clay court like they do when I'm using the Tour 10 gen 1. Indoors (carpet), I think I played my best tennis ever with the MSpeed, because on fast courts it is easier to hit a forcing ball, and attacking the net after was really easy for me with the great control and maneuverability the racket provided.
When on clay though ... FOR ME... it's easier to force shots with the Volkl, and my opponents have a tougher time dealing with my "rally ball" which causes them to hit short more often, and gives me the advantage.
All about trade offs I'm afraid :(. If I could make the volkl swing as easily as the Fischer without losing any "heaviness" of shot I would have an ideal racket...but I'm afraid it can't be done (since the "heaviness" probably comes from the higher swing weight...and slightly higher stiffness).

Djokovicfan4life
03-28-2008, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys (hey, that rhymes). At first I thought "This must just be the difference between oversize and midplus racquets", but then I played for a couple minutes with my brothers old Yonex (also 98 sq in.) and the difference was amazing! :)

PackardDell
03-31-2008, 08:12 PM
from the customer feedback

Nice feel. Feels a bit lighter than it is, but still very nice control & touch on volleys. Good and natural acceleration for my forehand, but couldn't really swing a strong backhand with it. Serves surprisingly easy with both good pace and spin.

you are not the only one ;)

PackardDell
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
some questions:
- how does it compare to the radical or a prestige?
- you play with it on hardcourt or on clay?
- you easily break strings with it ?

ndtennis
04-23-2008, 03:32 PM
to answer the quesiton about magnetic speed, i can feel it does work or you can look at these slow mo from baghdatis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVbTqpobn5o

0d1n
04-24-2008, 02:28 AM
to answer the quesiton about magnetic speed, i can feel it does work or you can look at these slow mo from baghdatis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVbTqpobn5o

And what exactly is "magnetic" about that video?? You can see a bit of flex in the racket ... and that's about it. I hate to burst your bubble but Baghdatis is using an older iteration of the Pro #1, and NOT the MSpeed (the mold is slightly different at the throat...just above the handle, and the butt cap is different as well).
That doesn't mean that the older pro 1's are necessarily better...but professionals stick to what they are used to generally (exceptions just confirm the rule).

ndtennis
04-24-2008, 07:43 AM
And what exactly is "magnetic" about that video?? You can see a bit of flex in the racket ... and that's about it. I hate to burst your bubble but Baghdatis is using an older iteration of the Pro #1, and NOT the MSpeed (the mold is slightly different at the throat...just above the handle, and the butt cap is different as well).
That doesn't mean that the older pro 1's are necessarily better...but professionals stick to what they are used to generally (exceptions just confirm the rule).

Alright well sorry I didnt notice those remote details. But regardless with the magnetic speed thechnology the racket is still going to deform- the magnetics are used to make that transition quicker from when the ball hits and you see that flex to where its back to normal

0d1n
04-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Alright well sorry I didnt notice those remote details. But regardless with the magnetic speed thechnology the racket is still going to deform- the magnetics are used to make that transition quicker from when the ball hits and you see that flex to where its back to normal

Yeah ... right.

ndtennis
04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah ... right.

I'm just saying what i heard. When you hit with it, i could feel the ball come off the racket a little different too. And It was one of Time Magazine's top inventions so I'm pretty sure if it got in there it wouldn't be a lie...