PDA

View Full Version : top rated racquets

mikejsb876
01-03-2005, 07:58 PM
id like to know if there is a list out there that shows the top rated racquets that TW has playtested.... just out of curiousity id be interested in knowing best racquets out there

RedGinseng
01-03-2005, 08:47 PM
the Estusa Power Beam Braided is the highest rated racquet. overall 85

here's the list of racquets rated higher than 78
Babolat Pure Control Zylon
Babolat Pure Control Zylon plus
Head LiquidMetal Prestige Mid
Head LiquidMetal Prestige Midplus
Head Liquidmetal Radical Midplus
Head Liquidmetal Radical Oversize
Prince Tour Diablo Mid
Prince Tour Diablo Midplus
ProKennex Kinetic Pro 7g
ProKennex Core1 No.6 without Bumper
Volkl Tour 10 Midplus
Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Mid
Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Midplus
Volkl Tour 9 V-Engine
Wilson nCode nSix-One 95
Wilson ProStaff 6.0 85
Wilson Prostaff 6.0 95
Yonex RDX 500 Mid
Yonex RDX 500 Midplus
Yonex V-Con 17 Midplus
Yonex V-Con 17 Oversize

I just took a simple look at the ratings so not a complete list.
Don't ask me why I listed racquets rated higher than 78 :wink:

mikejsb876
01-03-2005, 08:57 PM
wow that must have taken alot of time

thanks alot RedGinseng

ucd_ace
01-03-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm guessing that you're planning on buying a new racquet so I think I speak for the vast majority of us when I say don't judge a racquet based on the scores alone. A lot of it is your own personal taste. If you're new to racquet shopping, I would recomend trying out a variety of racquets and when you decide on which of those racquets you like going back and trying out the various racquets that are similar in style to it.

danniflava
01-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the list, Gin!

el_mago
01-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the list also RedGinseng.

I've been wondering....Now I am not trying to call TW's ratings inaccurate. But for example, the Prince Tour Diablo, both versions, get a higher rating from TW then the Prince NXGraphite, which won Tennis Magazine Editor's Choice award. The ratings are fairly close but maybe TW's ratings of the racuets are a tad bit inaccurate. I am not just saying this just because I use a Prince NXGraphite. I bet some other Editor's Choice winners are being rated a little lower then they should be as well. This is just my opinion, so everyone feel free to respond about what you think. I also know that TW has different playtesters from Tennis Magazine, so that may be the difference.

el_mago
01-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Also, I agree with ucd_ace, don't buy a racquet just for its rating.

mikejsb876
01-04-2005, 03:26 PM
personally im set with the pure drive plus and i have the control 360 zylons as a back up... i was just merely wondering the top ranked racquets

Coria
01-04-2005, 07:28 PM
The Estusa Power Beam Braided overall score is so ridiculous. It's so out of whack and like the Volkl VE Tour mid 10 rating compared to the Tour 10 MP rating, it makes no sense.

The Estusa PBB, which I've hit with for a couple of sets, is at most a 76 total racket, when it's compared to others on this board. As it is, I think TW's overall score is in error when you look at the PBB's individual scores. I mean, it has scores in the low 70
s for some categories and a below 70 in power. How in God's name can it get an 85. TW needs to correct these discrepencies.

bcaz
01-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Dude, it's subjective, not scientific. It's how they felt when they put their impressions together, and they are the first ones to say you should not necessarily compare their ratings across racquets, and the overall score is the most subjective of all. I've seen the same discrepancies among the discussion board playtesters, myself included. While I try to be consistent, sometimes one's impressions can't be quantified. Besides, how would one weight the categories? Power may be very important to you, touch and feel may be important to me, topspin may be the true test for someone else.

Full disclosure: I play the PBB.

BC