PDA

View Full Version : New Board automatically logs me out every 10 to 15 minutes...

Deuce
01-03-2005, 11:47 PM
This new board format automatically logs me out the boards after about 10 or 15 minutes of what it perceives to be inactivity.

Sometimes, I am logged in and writing a post, and when I go to post it, I am told that I cannot post because I am not logged in - and so the post I wrote is lost. But I was certainly logged in when I began writing the post 10 minutes earlier.

As well, I like to keep a window open to these boards while I peruse other websites in other windows - coming back here periodically to read, and/or post, etc. I used to be able to do this without being automatically logged out on the two previous versions of the boards. But not with this new version. I typically have to log in about 5 times in the 4 or 5 hours that I keep the boards open - because I keep getting logged out automatically, which is rather a pain in the ***.

To whom it may concern: I, username Deuce, do not wish to be logged out of any entity without my permission. Since I decide when I log in, I believe that I should be the one - the only one - who decides when I log out.

And, no, I do not wish to use the 'remember me' option - I simply would like to log in when I choose to, and not be logged out until I either log out myself, or I close the window to the boards.

Thank you.

admin_old
01-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Deuce, what you described is exactly what the "remember me" option is for. You login with the "remember me" box checked, you stay logged in until you hit "Log Out". It allows you the user to be in complete control of when you log out. If you just close your browser then you are still logged in when you re-visit the boards, you must click "log out" to exit yor session.

I increased the time-out option to 30 minutes for those who need extra time posting their comments and do not want to select "Remeber Me".

Deuce, the main issues here are security and resources. To not have a "time out" cookie would be irresponsible and a poor allocation of resources.

Thanks,
Jon
Tennis Warehouse

Deuce
01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
I admit I know nothing about "security" or "resources", Jon... but I do know that it would take much longer for me to be automatically logged out on the two previous versions of the board. If that was not considered a threat to security or resources then, I don't know why it would be now.

As well, on the few other Message Boards I visit, I don't have a problem with an overactive automatic log out.

I don't select the 'Remember Me' option because I don't want to be automatically logged in whenever I visit the TW site - that's a tad too 'big brotherish' for my liking. On the previous versions of these boards, I never had a problem with logging in, or logging out. I could peruse the boards without logging in, and could log in when I wished to. I would never log out - and the next time I visited the boards, I would NOT be automatically logged in. As I said, I don't know enough about this stuff to know if this was "irresponsible" on TW's part - but it sure was better as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for increasing the 'time out' time to 30 minutes - but it would be better if you could increase it to whatever it was on the previous version of the boards.

admin_old
01-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Deuce, I don't understand... How is the rememebr me option "big brother". If you leave remember me checked at login you get a cookie that does not expire until you log out by clicking "log out" before you exit your browser. If you don't use remember me you get a cookie that logs you out after 30 minutes of inactivity. You will not be logged in every time you visit if you remember to log out when you are done browsing the board.

Thanks,
Jon
Tennis Warehouse

Deuce
01-05-2005, 09:18 PM
You don't understand why I don't want to use the 'Remember Me' option......And I don't understand how a 'time out' period which is the same as on the previous version of the boards is a problem to implement on this version of the boards...