PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for a racquet to die???

Pisolino227
03-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey guys,
So I've been hitting with my pure control team for maybe 3 years now and the last few times it's played terribly. I keep having it restrung and it just feels limp. Is it possible that a racquet can just go limp from the stress of hitting over a few years or am I completely off here. The more I string this racquet the worse it gets, again it just feels deader than a doornail.

kPHAT
03-27-2008, 08:24 PM
here is a crazy idea, get a new stick

AceofBase
03-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Its human too you know, everything dont live that long!

dantespark33
03-27-2008, 10:05 PM
maybe it has a crack?

Commando Tennis Shorts
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
I've still not seen or felt any actual reliable evidence to suggest that a racquet can go "dead", despite the opinion of (it seems) everyone on these boards

Bud
03-27-2008, 10:48 PM
I've still not seen or felt any actual reliable evidence to suggest that a racquet can go "dead", despite the opinion of (it seems) everyone on these boards

Me either.

crawl4
03-27-2008, 10:54 PM
their might be a crack or maybe you dont play the way you used to :sad:

kanjii
03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Can someone define what a dead racquet is? I take my Adidas Lendl GTX Pro-T out once ina while and hit with it. Play with topspin, goes over the net and stays in court. Couldn't tell you if it feels dead or not.

jxs653
03-27-2008, 11:20 PM
I think racquet dies only when it gets cracked.

Commando Tennis Shorts
03-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Can someone define what a dead racquet is? I take my Adidas Lendl GTX Pro-T out once ina while and hit with it. Play with topspin, goes over the net and stays in court. Couldn't tell you if it feels dead or not.

Some people believe (and I stress 'believe') that continual hitting weakens the fibers or whatever in a racquet, and after a while, your racquet supposedly feels like a noodle the ball dies on it, or something like that

yjcturtle
03-28-2008, 01:15 AM
maybe you can demo or borrow the same racquet and try it out? if you can play better, there is 2 possibilities: 1) it is psychological 2) your old racquet is dead. RIP

Josherer
03-28-2008, 02:56 AM
maybe it has a crack?

Seems the mot likely explanation

Pro Staff Pete
03-28-2008, 05:01 AM
After lots and lots of string jobs the frame will suffer from tiny cracks that you can't really see with your bear eyes. Strings will go dead faster and the frame is just worn out.

My advice is to get a new one.

tfm1973
03-28-2008, 05:06 AM
Some people believe (and I stress 'believe') that continual hitting weakens the fibers or whatever in a racquet, and after a while, your racquet supposedly feels like a noodle the ball dies on it, or something like that

i think i read years ago in Tennis Magazine and they said the same thing. that after years and years of playing with a racquet the fibers or something break down and you wind up with mush.

but then you see on these boards and in real life i know people who have been playing with the same racquets for decades. these are people who are accomplished players. so it makes you wonder -- if racquets have a mileage count -- after how many years or number of hours logged on a court do they die?

and does it make any sense to buy old racquets that might already be "dead"? :confused:

origmarm
03-28-2008, 05:46 AM
A racquet will eventually go dead through hitting. It takes a long time though in my opinion unless you are a very high level player. Sampras used to switch his out after 3-6months I believe citing this. I think you would have to be a player that logged a lot of hours and played at a high level to do this in under 10yrs. Unless that is you crack it or similar. I think also the higher level players are more equipment sensitive and more likely to notice. I have a PS6.0 at home that is done through playing, its 15yrs old though and used to get 15+hrs a week. Feels flexy in a way that it shouldn't, mostly in the hoop.

Most likely is that the frame has become damaged during stringing (far, far more common). This happens a lot more with today's frames than the older frames, today's frames are stiffer and generally not anywhere near as dense. Normally this is what causes frames to go dead in my experience. Still it is comparitively rare. How many times have you strung it? Generally a frame that dies during stringing feels immediately different after a string job or in the days thereafter, is that the case?

Frames will also go dead after a lot of restringings as each one stresses the frame. As an example Ncode 6.1 95s from what my brother tells me generally tend to go dead at 40-50 string jobs depending on tension, breaks vs. cut outs etc.

All that said its more likely to be the strings/grommets/string job than anything else. Did you change anything recently on that front?

Bottom line, if it doesn't feel right after a restring, get a new one as otherwise it will mess with you too much mentally whether it's really the racquet or not.

IanRichardson
03-28-2008, 07:42 AM
The pro I used to play with plays with john isners old prince original graphites. If those weren't dead due to hitting or age, I'm not sure how likely it is your racquet has gone dead from hitting.

More than likely if your racquet has gone 'dead' it is from a crack or some kind of damage in stringing, you could have just gotten a bad string job as well.

edit: happy 400th post to me