PDA

View Full Version : Replicating the "Perfect Moment"

<3Tennis
03-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Hello fellow TT Forum Members,

I have quite the puzzle in my tennis game and I need you guys to see if you can solve it.

About 6 months ago, I remember playing the absolute best tennis of my life. I was in the quarterfinals of this pretty big tournament (never got to the quarters in that big of a tournament before) and was playing lights out, in the 3rd set ;p.
So after we split sets, I remember just telling my self to just give it my all. However, this seemed pretty "heart-breaking" when I quickly went down 5-0. 40-15. But somehow, despite this, something just triggered inside me. It felt if I had lost pretty much all thought of the match and really stepped into the "zone." I just stopped thinking, and my body was working it's magic on its own. Pounding balls side to side with "Federer-esque" finesse and precision. I was saving countless match points and reaching seemingless impossible shots. I turns out that I win this set and the match 7-5 in the third.

My question is how can I replicate this moment or feeling?

Since that time, not once have I measured up or come close to that feeling. After that match, my confidence probably quadrupled, but that still has not rekindled the fire that lit up inside me during that match. Over the course of the (maybe) hundreds of matches that I have played, only 1 time has that feeling taken place.

So, can anyone, help me in my dilemma in search of that "perfect feeling?"

vndesu
03-27-2008, 11:10 PM
i thikn that when playing lower or bigger opponets always remember that fun feeling you had.
bc of this itll help you get used to playing alot better and finding your perfect zone.

this has also happened to me
instead i was playing a match for league agaisnt another highschool and i was playing singles 3 at the time.
i was down 0-5 in the begining and i wasnt gonna give up.
i drank a can of rockstar and after my kick and slice serves were bombing incredible fh and bh .
i ended up winning the game 7-5 6-1 which also led us to our win over them/

so just look for better people to play and give it your all

montx
03-27-2008, 11:33 PM
I've heard of a parrallel analogy which runners call 'hitting the wall' where they don't think they can go on but they do and they get a second wind.

I suppose it could happen in tennis too but you would think you would just have to keep on playing and believing and keep saying to yourself ok lets work on the next point.

Geezer Guy
03-28-2008, 09:24 AM
... when I quickly went down 5-0. 40-15. ...
I was saving countless match points ...
turns out that I win this set and the match 7-5 in the third.
My question is how can I replicate this moment or feeling?

It's hard to replicate because opponents that choke away a match after that big a lead are in constant demand. Everyone wants to play them!

Keep searching. There are others and you'll find them. Just be sure you don't let him get away next time.

<3Tennis
03-28-2008, 09:43 AM
It's hard to replicate because opponents that choke away a match after that big a lead are in constant demand. Everyone wants to play them!

Keep searching. There are others and you'll find them. Just be sure you don't let him get away next time.

Well I understand what you are getting at. But I'm not sure if it was my opponent choking away the match. He was a solid player and was a top ranked player, but I felt that I just upped my game another maybe 4 levels or so. I had practically 0 errors within that run and I felt as if I forced him to go for too much or too little with my play.

Geezer Guy
03-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Just making a joke, my friend. No offense intended.

Haruchika
03-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I've all so experinced this fealing as well but I don't think you can replacate it into mass production seeing how I've only done it during one match and also on one serve during another match... the serve was an ace and the match was one word...awesome.

TennisProdigy
03-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Learn to release adrenaline, I can for about 30 seconds or so.

Bagumbawalla
03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I think, sometimes, when it looks like you don't have a chance in the world, then, you somehow aquire the freedom (freedom from winning, freedom from embarrassment, freedom from stress) and just start playing the ball.

And, when you just play the ball, not the opponent, not your ego, not your expectations-- then you play a lot looser, the way tennis should be played.

<3Tennis
03-28-2008, 04:38 PM
I think, sometimes, when it looks like you don't have a chance in the world, then, you somehow aquire the freedom (freedom from winning, freedom from embarrassment, freedom from stress) and just start playing the ball.

And, when you just play the ball, not the opponent, not your ego, not your expectations-- then you play a lot looser, the way tennis should be played.

That's what I was thinking. My problem is how do I "play the ball." What am I suppose to "focus" on in order to get me to play the ball and not the opponent/score/match etc.

Bagumbawalla
03-28-2008, 05:10 PM
How do you do it? Now that's the hard part.

Here is an example I have used before-- You are receiving serve, it's an important point. The opponent serves a hard, fast ball wide. It is just a bit too wide (an inch out), casually you drive it down the line for what would have been a winning placement.

The next serve is a second serve. You know if you dont' make it, he has won the set. The ball sits up for an easy shot, but you bloop it into the net.

Why was it so much easier to put away a more difficult shot (that had no meaning) than the easy one that everything was riding on?

Obviously it's a mental thing. If you could just play relaxed, the way you do when you're playing for fun you would be loose and play better.

The two possible solutions are to "trick yourself" into a more relaxed mental state-- it's not as simple as it sounds, but it can be done. Just focusing on the ball, and the basics is a good first step.

The other solution is to practice and hone your gane to the point that you are supremely confident in your abilities. So confident that you actually do play in a relaxed fashion, without underlying fears or self-doubt.

Off The Wall
03-28-2008, 06:54 PM
It sounds like you were "in the zone." Zoning is a period of time, both precious and few, in which you play above your skill level. When everything turns out right. When you feel possessed by the spirit of Arthur Ashe.

You'll have the memory/story of that match to tell forever.

boojay
03-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Congrats for the masterful comeback! That's some scary stuff. I bet you've scarred your opponent for life.

P-Town Tennis
03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
I've heard of a parrallel analogy which runners call 'hitting the wall' where they don't think they can go on but they do and they get a second wind.

I suppose it could happen in tennis too but you would think you would just have to keep on playing and believing and keep saying to yourself ok lets work on the next point.

Did you watch Run, Fatboy, Run by chance?

ramseszerg
03-29-2008, 04:06 AM

Best advice ever.

skuludo
03-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Buy a Lexus?

<3Tennis
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Congrats for the masterful comeback! That's some scary stuff. I bet you've scarred your opponent for life.

Ahah. I'm pretty sure I did. I beat him again 2 weeks ago 6-2 in the third, but he was playing terrible tennis ;p.

drgnpride
03-29-2008, 04:59 PM
these moments cannot be replicated or manufactured, only experienced. they require the 'perfect storm' of mental concentration, physical peak performance, and spiritual oneness. if 'the zone' could be quantified and sold, it would be worth millions to professional atheletes. but the cool thing is, that anyone can experience it, you just never know when it will be you.

boojay
03-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Ahah. I'm pretty sure I did. I beat him again 2 weeks ago 6-2 in the third, but he was playing terrible tennis ;p.

Yah, you'll have a mental edge over that guy essentially from now until eternity after coming back from 0-5 and facing match points because you know you can do it. Similarly, it'll always be in the back of that guy's mind knowing that even with a 5-0 lead and holding multiple match points, there's still the chance of you coming back. It'll allow you to play more freely and cause him to play more cautiously.