PDA

View Full Version : CAPped the wife's Head MG Radical MP..

VikingSamurai
03-28-2008, 03:17 AM
Picked up a new Radical for the wife. But as an ex serious player herself, she loved the frame, but just felt it was about 30 or 40 grams too light..

So, being an MG Prestige MP user, I suggested replacing the cheap plastic head guard with CAP grommits on her MG Radical MP and add some lead to the handle to even out the weight and balance.. So, after getting th caps in, and having it strung up, we got it home, and I added some weight for her under the grip, and now I have a very happy missus.. She had a hit with it tonight and is happy with the extra plough through, and feels that the CAPS gives the Radical a much more stable feel..

Anyway, had to take some pics of my handy work..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/AusLexJapan/P3280335.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/AusLexJapan/P3280331.jpg

With our daughter's MG Radical Jr 25 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/AusLexJapan/P3280333.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/AusLexJapan/P3280332.jpg

jayserinos99
03-28-2008, 03:22 AM
Clean looking. Did you modify the handle too?

zidane339
03-28-2008, 03:27 AM
Nice!..very good looking.

origmarm
03-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Looks like you "Wilsoned" the grip with the CD cover also no?

I leaded my brothers up at 3&9 with some thin long strips and weighted up the handle, he really likes it now also

VikingSamurai
03-28-2008, 03:36 AM
Actually no Wilson job on the grip... She likes the Head shape. She used the PC600 back in the day.. I just added the strips of lead on the flatter side and then re-gripped it..

almerickso
03-28-2008, 03:48 AM
which CAP grommets did you install?
how much clearance does the lower shoulder grommet have?

VikingSamurai
03-28-2008, 03:52 AM
which CAP grommets did you install?
how much clearance does the lower shoulder grommet have?

MG Prestige MP CAP. Needs a little work, but once strung all pulled together.. I just suggest shaving the small bevels on the bottom of some grommits, and you should be right to go.. A hair dryer, some tools, and some patience..

almerickso
03-28-2008, 04:07 AM
thanks!

i was planning on using the i.Prestige XL grommets cuz they seem to have longer grommets towards the throat

and the tapering won't cover up the radical words on the bottom shoulder :D

do you think it would fit?

thanks again for the pics

origmarm
03-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Actually no Wilson job on the grip... She likes the Head shape. She used the PC600 back in the day.. I just added the strips of lead on the flatter side and then re-gripped it..

Interesting, thought it looked a little more round, must be missing something. Why not just get the Prestige MP for her out of interest. Especially as an old PC600 user...

Richie Rich
03-28-2008, 04:26 AM
thanks!

i was planning on using the i.Prestige XL grommets cuz they seem to have longer grommets towards the throat

and the tapering won't cover up the radical words on the bottom shoulder :D

do you think it would fit?

thanks again for the pics

i don't think the i.prestige grommets are CAPS? the frames i had didn't come with CAPS. although the i.prestige MP CAPS will fit it.

almerickso
03-28-2008, 04:47 AM
one user, Head-Strong posted pics of his LM rad capped with i.Prestige XL CAPs so i thought it had the tapering CAP

0d1n
03-28-2008, 07:42 AM
i don't think the i.prestige grommets are CAPS? the frames i had didn't come with CAPS. although the i.prestige MP CAPS will fit it.

Yes they were CAPS. Head did have a bit of a strange marketing with regards to some the XL versions of the I Prestige (if my memory serves me right). They sold a "regular grommet" racket in the US I think, and a "CAPS grommet" racket in Europe. Also, in some parts of Europe the XL MID was available but it was never sold in the US as far as I know.
Is your racket an XL version of the i.Prestige MP ?? That would explain your "regular grommets".

vsbabolat
03-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Chris it certainly looks like the whole family uses Head racquets.

luv2volley
03-28-2008, 08:17 AM

hahaha....duh... it's the Head diehard family.

String|Guru
03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Nice work. Love the CAP system for playing... Hate it for stringing...

robkat
03-28-2008, 03:47 PM
By how much did the CAP system change the weight with and without the extra lead tape?

VikingSamurai
03-28-2008, 04:36 PM
By how much did the CAP system change the weight with and without the extra lead tape?

Actually with the strings it probably added about 25grams to the head. You could feel it too when swinging it around before I put the weight in the handle, and added the overwrap.. Now it feels just like my Prestige MP.. But on steroids...

Someone said to me, why not just get her the Prestige. But, she likes the Radical because my daughter had the junior.. Mother daughter kind of deal.. ;)

But anyway, after hitting with it yesterday, she was happy with the extra weight and was really getting into it with me.. She hasn't played serious for many years, but since I have been teaching our daughter, she has started to get interested in joining in..

Mansewerz
03-28-2008, 04:57 PM
when putting lead on the handle, do you have to put electrical tape on it or something to stop the lead from getting out? Like particles getting out.

samej07
03-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Awesome job Chris.

Chris in Japan>>> racket cutomization GOAT. :)

VikingSamurai
03-28-2008, 05:07 PM
^^^^ Nope.. I used weight strips... They just glued down and that was it..

VikingSamurai
03-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Awesome job Chris.

Chris in Japan>>> racket cutomization GOAT. :)

Ha ha ha, I don't know about that.. I would hate to take the lime light away from J0lly. He seems to like it..... ;)

Richie Rich
03-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes they were CAPS. Head did have a bit of a strange marketing with regards to some the XL versions of the I Prestige (if my memory serves me right). They sold a "regular grommet" racket in the US I think, and a "CAPS grommet" racket in Europe. Also, in some parts of Europe the XL MID was available but it was never sold in the US as far as I know.
Is your racket an XL version of the i.Prestige MP ?? That would explain your "regular grommets".

yes, MP, that's why regular grommets.

bertrevert
03-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Yes the MG Rad MP is a bit light agreed, whcih can in turn lead to a breakdown of form as swings get uncontrolled and just too flicky and whippy.

I see some tennis ladies at my club who have those beaut long-sweep strokes that really benefit from a little extra heft in the racquet.

Seems like the CAPped Rad complements her strokes (which are perhaps full and long?) and so good outcome.

I had a hit with the MG Pestige the other night and thsoe CAPs sure are an ibvious addition to the feel alright.

VikingSamurai
03-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I just had a hit with it. And it really is like the Prestige MP on steroids. A little too powerful for me, but the wife is really enjoying it..

AndrewD
03-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Chris,

Off topic but my niece is about to return to Toyama (think I've got that correct) and I was wondering if you knew of any tennis shops out that way?

VikingSamurai
03-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Sorry Andrew, I don't know where that is.. I am sure there is a Sports Authority or Depot there. But you don't want to buy any tennis stuff here, especially racquets and bags.. Twice the price as in the US here. I also notice Australia is over inflated with its prices also.. Thats why I am stocking up on stuff online before we return at the end of the year.

bcast66
04-06-2008, 06:43 AM
MG Prestige MP CAP. Needs a little work, but once strung all pulled together.. I just suggest shaving the small bevels on the bottom of some grommits, and you should be right to go.. A hair dryer, some tools, and some patience..

chris i am going to try this on my uncles racquet can you give me a step by step procedure and give me a close up picture of what it looks like on the bottom? where the grommet ends.

04-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Chris where do you buy all your rackets?
Do you pay a reduced rate or do you just spend a lot on rackets?:)

VikingSamurai
04-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I pay alot for racquets. I can afford it, and its kind of a hobby.. Some people race cars, sail boats, wake board, ski, golf ect.. I love Tennis and its equipment.. Although I do play golf also..

Also, I used to have a rather large collection of frames, but traded and sold them off and used the money for newer frames..

As for this frame. After going to all the trouble of customizing it. My wife has decided to go back to her other frames, so I am now selling, or trading it... Posted in the For Sale section..

[d]ragon
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
looks sweet, nice job

bertrevert
04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I pay alot for racquets. I can afford it, and its kind of a hobby.. .

Where do people get off asking others about buying so/too many frames?

It is evidenced in threads of supposedly rich versus poor players.

Frames should be thought of as the tool towards the tennis.

Get them, buy as many as you need or can afford, get through them, use them, make your game happen.

No-one need justify purchases or not... :(

[d]ragon
04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
are the grommets a little short at the throat? can u snap some pics of that area? thanks

VikingSamurai
04-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Sorry, I sold it here in Japan..

tennis_guy
04-25-2008, 11:39 AM

i know.. pretty sad

Head_Rocketman
05-23-2008, 03:21 PM
With all this talk of interchanging the CAP to Radicals, want to know if LM Prestige MP to Radical MP will work? Called TW and had a guy tell me it wasn't possible.

[K]Topspin
05-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Nice work .

gerli
06-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Chris

Coming back to the added weight:

Does that mean that the added 25g in the head was together with the strings?

The strings weights about 17 - 18g in this racquet, so the cap grommet is only
8g more then the standard one?

Thanks

Deuce
06-10-2008, 01:29 AM
With all this talk of interchanging the CAP to Radicals, want to know if LM Prestige MP to Radical MP will work? Called TW and had a guy tell me it wasn't possible.
I would think that, since this topic has been covered ad nauseam, everyone would know by now that the vast majority of Head MidPlus frames over the past 15 years or so have had the same head size (98 ), string pattern (18x20) and drill pattern.
Therefore, the grommets/bumpers are interchangeable - including CAPs.
The worst that can happen is that a couple of grommets might be a little short - in which case you drop some tubing into them, and everything is fine.

johnathan smith
06-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey Chris,
How much tinkering did you have to do to get the Caps on the MG MP?
I need some extra weight on mine and always liked the feel of the caps.
thanks,
JS