PDA

View Full Version : What's the correct call?

Rickson
03-28-2008, 05:21 AM
I remember playing this clown who used to make bad calls on me left and right, but I beat him all the time anyway. Well, I did something to him that makes me wonder if it was the right call. We were playing on a very rundown court with a lot of cracks and one of my serves hit a crack going lengthwise. That was my first no bounce ace ever as the ball hit the crack and rolled fast. I told him we play the court, but in retrospect, I'm wondering if that was supposed to be a let. What's the correct call? Is that a let because he had no shot at a play or is it a super strange ace?

Nellie
03-28-2008, 06:12 AM
I would say its your ace. What is the grounds for a let?

for example, if you play in the fall, you may be on the court with a lot of leaves on one end.

Thats why you switch sides to equalize the odds.

tfm1973
03-28-2008, 06:32 AM
i'm fairly sure it's the same as if there was a small pebble on his side of the court and you hit it. he can't call a let. it's essentially part of the court. it's his responsibility to clear the court. much the same as when you start a match on a court with cracks and potholes. once you agree to play -- you accept the cracks and potholes.

if it's a social match -- i'd determine beforehand whether you want to play lets on those balls or just play it out. either way.

NiteFly
03-28-2008, 06:35 AM
It sounds the same as if you hit the tape on a clay court too. I've been taking those points. I hope that is correct.

VGP
03-28-2008, 06:39 AM
I'm assuming you hit the crack inside the service box.

If so, yeah, you got a no bounce ace.

origmarm
03-28-2008, 06:40 AM
I think you made the right call there

Rickson
03-28-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm assuming you hit the crack inside the service box.

If so, yeah, you got a no bounce ace.

It was definitely inside the serve box and it looked like a damn fissure.

tfm1973
03-28-2008, 06:53 AM
San Andreas Double Fault?

Rickson
03-28-2008, 06:55 AM
San Andreas Double Fault?

Not that big a fissure.

Cindysphinx
03-28-2008, 08:44 AM
It's easy.

Aim every serve for the crack.