PDA

View Full Version : Two overgrips instead of one - effect on balancepoint ?

ClubHoUno
03-28-2008, 07:04 AM
I consider building my Head MG Prestige Pro grips up with an extra overgrip - how much will an extra overgrip effect the balance point of the racket ?

I use one Wilson Pro Overgrip on my Wilson rackets but will try to use two on my new Head rackets, because the grip seems a bit smaller compared to my Wilson grip sizes - I use size 3 on both my Wilson and Head rackets.

jayserinos99
03-28-2008, 10:12 AM
It depends on the grip. I've normally taken off the leather grip and replaced it with two overgrips only and it's made a real noticeable difference in the balance; I wish I could quantify it though but just as a comparison I did this on a heavier racquet and I think the lack of weight made a difference in how it swung.

I'm assuming that you just want to add 1 overgrip to your existing setup? I would think that it wouldn't make that much of a difference in the way it plays now as the overgrip isn't heavy to begin with.

BTW, did you receive my email regarding the Pro Staffs? Thanks!!

ClubHoUno
03-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey,

Sorry I haven't responded to your email :)
I have NOW !

I normally use size 4 3/8 on my Wilson rackets and THEN always add an overgrip. Because of the strange feeling Head grips, which have size 4 3/8 also, my intention was to add two overgrips on top of the standard grip from Head - to make the grip slightly larger, but not one entire size larger.

Thanks,
Claus AKA ClubHoUno

master_stringer_mitchy
03-30-2008, 04:32 AM
Hey,

Sorry I haven't responded to your email :)
I have NOW !

I normally use size 4 3/8 on my Wilson rackets and THEN always add an overgrip. Because of the strange feeling Head grips, which have size 4 3/8 also, my intention was to add two overgrips on top of the standard grip from Head - to make the grip slightly larger, but not one entire size larger.

Thanks,
Claus AKA ClubHoUno

i ndo that as well! works well on top of a leather grip to!

anirut
03-30-2008, 04:40 AM
- how much will an extra overgrip effect the balance point of the racket ?

An overgrip could bring about 1 -1.5 pts HL change, depending on the type of overgrip.

master_stringer_mitchy
03-30-2008, 05:31 AM
i would be amazed if anybody can put an overgrip on the racket and feel that it changes the balance enough to notice! only a pro would be able to tell/ or to have it affect any aspect of there game.

ClubHoUno
03-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Okay, I'll try another solution.

Will remove the thin Head Hydrosorb grip, that all Head MG Prestige rackets come with as standard and instead install a thick Tennis Warehouse leather grip and then a Wilson Pro Overgrip and hope this will make the grip size a tad thicker and more Wilson like in shape and size.

I'm contemplating to get either the Wilson Leather grip:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACWILSON-WLRG.html

or the thickest version of the TW Private label leather grip:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACZONS-TWLG.html

Anybody know which one is the thickest of the two ?

jayserinos99
03-30-2008, 06:32 PM
hmmm, IMO the Wilson leather is a bit thicker but keep in mind that when you put on the leather grip it will make the racquet more HL. If you really want to make the Head gripshape more Wilson/rounded, put either balsa wood or some electrical tape on the flat bevels to round out the grips. If you really wanted to ship your racquet out to a professional, RPNY in New York City to have them install the rounder pallets. I have these installed on my MG Prestige Pros and they feel like a cross b/w Wilson and Prince.

ClubHoUno
03-30-2008, 09:25 PM
hmmm, IMO the Wilson leather is a bit thicker but keep in mind that when you put on the leather grip it will make the racquet more HL. If you really want to make the Head gripshape more Wilson/rounded, put either balsa wood or some electrical tape on the flat bevels to round out the grips. If you really wanted to ship your racquet out to a professional, RPNY in New York City to have them install the rounder pallets. I have these installed on my MG Prestige Pros and they feel like a cross b/w Wilson and Prince.

Thanks - do you know circa how much more headlight a leather grip installed instead of the original Head Hydrosorb grip would make the MG Prestige Pro racket ?

Thanks for helping :)

kabob
03-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Good grief, you people worry too much. After replacing my MG Pretige Pro's grip with leather and an overgrip, it didn't make much of a difference in balance or weight. Not enough to affect my play, anyways. The most important thing I ever did for the MG PP was to add lead to the upper hoop for stability and pop.

montx
03-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I think it does affect the balance point. If you just hold the roll of the unreeled grip you can feel that its not a feather.

If you ever have tried balancing your racquet on your index finger and can do it well, then put the reel of overgrip on the handle you will see you have to try to rebalance on your indexfinger.

Put it on the middle of the handle and you can see it does affect the balance quite a bit.

I'm sure it will at least be 1 or 2 points head lighter when you add 3 grips.

valluk
03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
a regular overgrip (tourna grip) will add 4/5 grams to your racket with will make it about 1 point more headlight and increase the swingweight by 2/3 points.