View Full Version : Terminology help and the "Top Spin" serve

03-28-2008, 11:18 AM
I am a self admitted hack at tennis. I've played recreationally for 15 years, never taken a lesson or been coached, but love the game. I've had people ask me if I know how to do 'this' or 'that' and I couldn't answer honestly because I didn't understand the terminology.

So, I usually hit my first serve as what I've read as a "Flat Serve". In other words, I get the racquet behind the ball and swing through trying to put the ball THROUGH the receiver's racquet; hard, fast and straight.

I can only describe my second serve as maybe a slice serve? I contact the ball on the right side (I'm a righty) of the ball and it makes a right to left curve but also drops into the service box. I swing much the same as my first serve but make contact differently.

This is from Wiki: A topspin serve is hit with forward spin imparted by brushing the back of the ball upward at contact:confused:How do you do that?

So, how do you actually hit a topspin serve? I've googled around but don't seem to find a good description. It sounds like I should be learning this important serve.

Thanks for the help.

03-28-2008, 11:25 AM

among 100s of different approach to teaching kick or topspin serve, I found this to be the most helpful.

03-28-2008, 11:42 AM


. . . Bud

03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Okay, that video series helped a bunch. Sadly I used all my youtube quota time from work so I'll study them more from home. The way it reads it's as if you are to be fully extended at the top of your serve with the racquet buttcap facing straight down. In the video the racquet is more or less parallel to the court at contact. I see how you get the 'curve ball' effect now.

That's something I'll be practicing!

For now my second serve is more like a slider in baseball, moving right to left. Where as a true curve ball should move down with little side to side motion.

Thanks for the help!