PDA

View Full Version : What do you need to become a pro?

D. Nalbandian
01-04-2005, 05:42 AM
Hi,
i'm 17 now. After school in 1,5 years i want to play tournaments. Right now in winter i think i'm a 4,5-5 player, but i only play two hours with my coach in the week. In Summer i will play nearly every day.
What does need to become a good player?
Which contracts,....?

Thanks

bismark
01-04-2005, 08:13 AM
My guess would be (1) talent, (2) passion and drive to succeed, and (3) lots and lots of hard work. No quick fix or short cuts.

Money for touring expenses is important too. If you're top in your game, contracts and endorsements will come your way. Otherwise look for fundings or sponsorship if possible.

Also plan your options ahead IF you cannot make it as a pro. Good luck.

Yonexrocks
01-04-2005, 09:54 AM
to be a pro or a really good player you need to play alot more than 2 hrs. a week. I would say about 3 hrs at least a day. Lots of off court training, lots of hard work. Lots of experience with playing in tournaments. Its alot of hard work, u have to be driven.

david aames
01-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Tennis parents or live in a country with a good tennis federation.

David Pavlich
01-04-2005, 06:56 PM
You need to sit down with your parents and a very good teaching pro. Tell them what you want and the teaching pro will tell you what you need to do to become a good player.

The next step is basically after you become a good player is to decide that you are going to dedicate about 6 or 7 hours A DAY to tennis. You must eat, sleep, drink and live tennis. Your weight training must focus on what will be best for tennis. Your cardio-vascular training must focus on tennis.

Then, you might be good enough to get into the German version of the Futures Tournament trail. All the travel expenses with little money...even when you win the events. Little or no crowds, crummy food (unless you make it to the Challenger level and come to Covington, Louisiana for our Challenger...the food is great).

Basically, you have to have good financial backing and a burning desire to succeed. And then you may not have the talent to make it to the Big Dance.

It's a tough road...

David

Rickson
01-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Go for it. If you have the money to give it a shot, then try it, but don't get heartbroken if you can't crack the top 100.

matchpoints
01-05-2005, 04:48 PM
If you have the finances, just go for it. Me and a few other buds are 22-27 yrs old and still trying. We're kinda broke ;) My goal is to crack top 500. Set a goal and go for it. Remember for every hour you put into Tennis, there's always someone putting more. It's a tough battle but a lot of fun. What's that saying...."where there's a will, there's a way"

Rickson
01-05-2005, 06:19 PM
There's another expression, you only fail if you don't try.

THE ANIMAL
01-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Money is one of the biggest factors then skill then dedication, fitness, mental strength you have to have all of these. If not then its virtually impossible but there are always exceptions but in this day and age its getting much harder with little money to get anywhere in most sports. Youd also have to move to Spain or US.

D. Nalbandian
01-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Yesterday i was at a future tournament in Nussloch, Germany. I was only watching some tennis, some guys played great tennis.

Rickson
01-06-2005, 08:43 AM
There's a lot of competition out there so you have to practice day and night.