PDA

View Full Version : Hitting higher 2h bh shots?

ohhgourami
03-28-2008, 11:06 AM
iv noticed another flaw in my game where i have lots of trouble hitting 2h bh shots that are around shoulder height. how should i hit such a high shot? i know i should be taking the ball of the rise or take a step back so the ball is in my comfort zone, but what if i dont have time to do those things? most of the time when i try to hit a ball that high, i end up mishitting and just popping the ball up. iv tried slicing it, but it ends up being a floater.

i do a topspin bh if that helps. right hand continental while left hand western like nalbandian.

hyogen
03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
wow left hand westerN?? i'll have to try this

ohhgourami
03-28-2008, 11:34 AM
oh im a righty

yes left hand western! you get pretty sick topspin that way.

Nadal_Monfils
03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
I like to do the jumping backhand on high balls like Safin does.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I find that having that extreme of a grip is SUPPOSED to help with high balls...But the problem is that the way it helps is it forces you to swing the racket up more faster.

When you get a high ball and use that kind of a grip, you are prone to many mishits, shanks, high balls that land short. The ball is already high, and your grip forces you to swing even higher faster.

It gets you good topspin, but if you don't have good enough timing, you can shank it. Additionally, oftentimes, your heavy topspin shot will just go high with little pace and land short around the service line. Allowing the opponent to hit a good shot/winner.

ohhgourami
03-28-2008, 02:21 PM
so i shouldnt grip so extreme? maybe use eastern?

i think ill try swinging faster and if that doesnt work, ill switch. good idea?

TennisProdigy
03-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Take it on the rise when possible otherwise just hit it at shoulder height and brush the back of it so it takes a loopy path with lots of topspin and hopefully lands deep like around back third of his side.

soyizgood
03-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I put my weak hand on semi-western grip. I can hit against high balls pretty well with good spin and depth. With this grip (strong hand on continental) You need to meet the ball earlier while being careful not to over-extend or over-reach your stroke.

I can also put pace on shots as well as high loopy shots with this grip. You don't need much force to generate heavy spin. A relaxed, smooth strike and follow-through generates an effective high ball. For better results, you should make contact around stomach to chest-level high.