PDA

View Full Version : How to cure loopy forehand?

cukoo
03-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Ideally, I try to contact out in front of the body as much as possible with a slight bent in the elbow. I also tend to end with the racquet around the left shoulder (I'm a righty). But on most open stance forehand shot, even when I am trying to hit the ball flat it always clear the net by at least 3-4 feet. I know posting a video would be best but I dont have a camcorder. What are some reason the ball might be loopy high over the net? Any suggestion on how to hit flatter?

Thanks

ohhgourami
03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
assuming you hit SW, on your takeback for a shot make sure the racquet head is more parallel to the ground so when you hit the ball, you will naturally hit a flatter shot.

come to think of it, im having the same trouble except my shots are getting too much spin and no enough drive. i just cured my own problem!

RoddickistheMan
03-28-2008, 04:22 PM
easy maintain same grip and closed racquet face. Instead of having the swing path from low to high have it go right through the ball then adjust from there.

Mansewerz
03-28-2008, 05:09 PM
assuming you hit SW, on your takeback for a shot make sure the racquet head is more parallel to the ground so when you hit the ball, you will naturally hit a flatter shot.

come to think of it, im having the same trouble except my shots are getting too much spin and no enough drive. i just cured my own problem!

Won't parallel be bad because when he strikes the ball the angle will be steep. it would be like going from this: -- to this: \ . If you start more perpendicular to the court like this: | will end up more like this: /

ohhgourami
03-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Won't parallel be bad because when he strikes the ball the angle will be steep. it would be like going from this: -- to this: \ . If you start more perpendicular to the court like this: | will end up more like this: /

no, its only for the end of the take back.

i got this from TurboTennis:
"To gain power with this grip, you need to use a 3/4 closed racquet face on the backswing. Keeping the racquet face completely closed on the backswing is fine if you want to hit a very hard shot that has low net clearance. Hitting with a completely open face (where the racquet face is perpendicular to the ground) is great for topspin lobs but will take lots of power off of your shot."

Mansewerz
03-28-2008, 08:20 PM
no, its only for the end of the take back.

i got this from TurboTennis:
"To gain power with this grip, you need to use a 3/4 closed racquet face on the backswing. Keeping the racquet face completely closed on the backswing is fine if you want to hit a very hard shot that has low net clearance. Hitting with a completely open face (where the racquet face is perpendicular to the ground) is great for topspin lobs but will take lots of power off of your shot."

Hmm, very strange. I'll have to try it out sometime. But the raquet should be perpendicular at the point of contact tho right?

ohhgourami
03-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Hmm, very strange. I'll have to try it out sometime. But the raquet should be perpendicular at the point of contact tho right?

ya, it should be perpendicular or at least close to it at contact point. the angle of the head at takeback naturally creates either more of a drive or a brushing motion.

Ross K
05-05-2008, 02:37 PM
As I'm currently suffering from the same problem (fh's being too loopy), as well as hitting long a bit too often, I thought I might reactivate this thread and see if a few more viewpoints might be expressed on this.

So, to repeat to repeat cuckoo's original post: "What are some reasons the ball might be loopy high over the net? Any suggestion on how to hit flatter?"...

BTW, I think some of my problem is probably down to recently using a new frame (Fischer Pro No 1) and not quite adjusting properly (I was using pretty hefty, highish SW frames before, and now I've gone down half an ounce to 12oz and am using a far lower SW racquet.)

Thanks for any input.

R.

Essential Tennis
05-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Any ground stroke that "loops" more than is wanted is the result of too vertical of a swing. Swinging straight up will give you tons of top spin and height (depending on exact angle of the racket face). Swinging straight forwards will give you no top spin and a horizontal result (assuming the face is perpendicular). Everything in between those two extremes is the result of a combination of those two forces. Anybody who complains of too loopy of a result needs to swing forwards more and upwards less. The bottom of the swing and the top of the swing should be closer together, and rotation of the core forwards towards the target should be the main source of acceleration, rather than a down to up swing with the shoulder/arm/forearm/wrist/hand

If I wasn't clear enough, its all relative. The typical club player that I see is swinging much too straight. It sounds like those of you complaining have the opposite problem.

serve/and/volley
05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
This will fix anything. It is so great, it doesn't even have a money-back guarantee.

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/Gear/General/2006_12_21_Wristassist_article.jpg

http://www.squarehittennis.com/images/bradgilbert_static.jpg

Ross K
05-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Any ground stroke that "loops" more than is wanted is the result of too vertical of a swing. Swinging straight up will give you tons of top spin and height (depending on exact angle of the racket face). Swinging straight forwards will give you no top spin and a horizontal result (assuming the face is perpendicular). Everything in between those two extremes is the result of a combination of those two forces. Anybody who complains of too loopy of a result needs to swing forwards more and upwards less. The bottom of the swing and the top of the swing should be closer together, and rotation of the core forwards towards the target should be the main source of acceleration, rather than a down to up swing with the shoulder/arm/forearm/wrist/hand

If I wasn't clear enough, its all relative. The typical club player that I see is swinging much too straight. It sounds like those of you complaining have the opposite problem.

Thank you Essential Tennis. That's exactly the kind of clear and straightforward advice I really like! I'll focus now on swinging straight forwards a tad more and not getting beneath the ball so much, core rotation, and ensuring bottom of the swing/top of the swing are closer together.

Essential Tennis
05-06-2008, 05:31 AM
Thank you Essential Tennis. That's exactly the kind of clear and straightforward advice I really like! I'll focus now on swinging straight forwards a tad more and not getting beneath the ball so much, core rotation, and ensuring bottom of the swing/top of the swing are closer together.

Sure no problem. That's exactly how I try to convey technique advice, clear and straight forward. Hitting a better tennis shot shouldn't be a subjective search, there are physical constants involved to make a tennis ball do specific things......

Essential Tennis
05-06-2008, 05:32 AM
This will fix anything.

no it won't, heh

kv123
05-07-2008, 04:54 PM
One of the best ways that i learned to get a more clean forehand and not a loopy one is "Imagine more than one ball at contact" What this means is instead of thinking of only one ball coming at you when you hit think that there are 5 more lined up behind it. This makes you hit through the ball and not up and loopy over the ball. For me it helped alot. Good luck