PDA

View Full Version : TripleB, what's the verdict ?

ferrari_827
01-04-2005, 06:50 AM
So far you've been raving about the RDX500 midplus, so is this what you've settled on ?

I've pretty much settled down on the RDXmid, and it's just a process of finding a really good multifilament for the frame. I'm going to use Ashaway Dynamite, Babolat Brio, and Yonex Tour, and see which one I like best.

My backup racket is the IPrestige mid strung with E-matrix at 44lbs. Strangely, even though the my IPrestige mid is slightly heavier than the RDX, I feel that the RDX has a higher swingweight (!)

TripleB
01-04-2005, 07:28 AM
ferrari_827,

I've pretty much decided to go with the Midplus.

I just love the way this racquet: 1) makes putting away short balls so easy because of the increased power (compared to what I'm used to), 2) makes serving the bombs so easy (although it does offer less control on the serve than the mid), 3) makes getting huge kick from my second serves so easy, 4) makes volleying (usually the weakest part of my game) so easy, 5) the amazing control it offers for a midplus racquet, 6) the incredible topspin and slice I can get from the racquet, 7) the larger hitting surface on my returns, and Eight) the solid feel from all over the court I get.

*Some of these I also get with the Mid size version but I prefer the extra area on the racquet face of the Midplus.

Now my only problem is finding a great hybrid to go with. I'm looking at either natural gut, Tecnifibre X-One, or NXT Tour for the mains (getting away from the polyester) and maybe a cheaper synthetic for the crosses (Gosen, Prince, E-Matrix come to mind).

I may end up adding a total of about 4 grams of lead tape (2g at 3 and 2g at 9) to my midplus. Played some last night with a total of 5 grams added to 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock and it seemed to be a little too much. Not that I can tell the difference in 1 gram but I know I need to go less than 5 grams. Would like to have some on there to help with stability a little (the midplus isn't quite as stable as the mid).

FYI: I weighed both the Mid and Midplus this morning. Stock racquet with 3 overgrips and found the weight to be 344g for the Midplus and 348g for the Mid.

Best of luck with your mid. Let me know what strings you decide to go with...I might want to try the same in my Midplus.

TripleB

PS: Thinking of bringing my RD-7 racquets out of the closet for my back-ups.

Mies
01-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Hm,

I'm demoing rackets atm and I have one to go. The RDX 500 MP HD. For some reason all the internet shops here in Holland don't have the normal MP. Have any of you hit with it?

Your arguments sounds like my own TripleB. The 2 frames I liked most so far are both the LM prestiges, but if I had to choose I'd go for the MP over the mid because of the size of the racquet face, although I like the flexy feel of the mid better. And this is where the Yonex comes in : It's supposed to be more flexy than the LM prestige MP. I just got my Yonex demo so I'm hitting the courts with it tomorrow night and we'll see.

I still have to test the Yonex but what are your suggestions: LM prestige MP or the RDX 500 MP HD?

Regards

ferrari_827
01-04-2005, 08:20 AM
TripleB, with natural gut, NXT, or Technifiber I'm sure you'll have plenty of power with the RDX500 midplus (hehe). You found out, like me, that the RDX is sensitive to lead tape and it's quite easy to make it feel too heavy, you can't just slap on 8grams of lead like some other rackets. Mine is already on the edge of being heavy with no lead (12.2oz).

Glad you really like the RDX, not to mention the rock-and-roll paint job that is in a class of it's own.

I

TripleB
01-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Mies,

In my latest set of demos I had the RDX-500 Mid, RDX-500 Midplus, RDX-500 HD Midplus, and the Babolat Pure Control.

The RDX-500 HD Midplus was the worst out of the four. The feel of it seemed nowhere close to the ohter two RDX-500 racquets. It felt stiffer with less control than the other two. I never could find a groove with it (at the baseline or net) and it just didn't have that soft 'buttery' feel that the other two RDX-500s had. It's really had to believe that the HD Midplus and the regular Midplus are so closely related because they play entirely different.

Of the two choices you gave me I would have to go with the Head racquet. If you're looking for a flexy feel I just don't think you'll find the Yonex HD to your liking.

TripleB

Mies
01-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanx for the info,

Btw, they sent me the wrong Yonex anyways :)........looks like I'll be giving the RDX 500 mid a run now......Oh yeah, I put it on top of my Head LM prestige MP demo and the head sizes are nearly the same, surely not 8 sq. inch apart.......odd. Question is, is the prestige MP smaller than 98 or is the RDX 500 mid larger than 90?

TripleB
01-04-2005, 05:13 PM
I think the RDX-500 Mid may be a little larger than the indicated 90 square inches. I put it up against the RDX-500 Midplus it doesn't seem the Midplus is 8 square inches larger. It's the frame width of the RDX-500 Mid plus a small amount around the top of the frame. Doesn't really seem like enough area to make up an almost 3 inch by 3 inch total area. Good luck with the Mid...it's an incredible racquet also!!!

TripleB

NoBadMojo
01-04-2005, 06:10 PM
having only a small difference visually perceived when holding up one racquet to another really isnt a good indication, and really doesnt mean anything at all. what may only seem like a very small difference to the eye is most often pretty huge playablity wise, especially when going from a 90 to a 98. the difference from a 95 to a 98 can even be significant.