PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop McEnroe Mid?

NovakWannabe
03-29-2008, 06:17 AM
So my dad and I were looking through his old college crap. I founda Dunlop McEnroe Mid, with the strings mutilated. I put an overgrip on and plan to get it restrung. I think I've struck gold, but my family just says it's a crappy racquet. Took some airswings with it, and it definetly wasn't a WalMart racquet. It definetly was a player's racquet. Could y'all give me some info on its history? What modern racquets could be similar to it? Thanks.

NovakWannabe
03-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Anyone? Please I would like to know!

tiochaota
07-27-2010, 04:30 AM
Bump because I got it too at some junk store! Need some information!!

tiochaota
07-27-2010, 07:20 AM
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/tiochaota/d1.jpg

Bigtime
07-27-2010, 08:04 AM
I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Is the frame part graphite or aluminum?

Rorsach
07-27-2010, 09:35 AM
It's just a cheap aluminium beginners frame.

coachrick
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Aluminum, similar to the Kennex Power Ace(and probably made by Kunnan), Dunlop XLT-15, Prince Pro, and about nine million other tubular aluminum sticks of the early/mid-'80s. IF it's not bent and the grommets are OK, might be worth restringing(if needed). Nothing special, I'm afraid.

WilsonPlayer101
07-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Restring it as you planned to because you might actually like that racquet. It could turn out a good racquet in your hands on the court. I have a Wilson T2000 I got 10 years ago used and finally after 10 years went out on the court and tried it out and played extremely well with it, only problem is it gave me arm issues so I had to stop using it on a regular basis.

HiroProtagonist
07-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Definitely worth re-stringing, I just used my Dunlop McENROE CERAMIC COMP. "mystery" stick to take out the k 6.1 tour hahaha. The look on the guys face as the first forehand return went right by him.....priceless :)

Mines from the 70's im guessing from the fonts on the frame, graphite/ceramic/kevlar comp. 16x19sp was maybe 4pts HL, got it all leaded up bout 7pts HL and gotta be 13oz static weight. Strung it w Cyclone @50 most powerful particle accelerator i ever put my hands on.

WilsonPlayer101
07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Definitely worth re-stringing, I just used my Dunlop McENROE CERAMIC COMP. "mystery" stick to take out the k 6.1 tour hahaha. The look on the guys face as the first forehand return went right by him.....priceless :)

Mines from the 70's im guessing from the fonts on the frame, graphite/ceramic/kevlar comp. 16x19sp was maybe 4pts HL, got it all leaded up bout 7pts HL and gotta be 13oz static weight. Strung it w Cyclone @50 most powerful particle accelerator i ever put my hands on.

Hiro, oh yeah some of the old racquets are impressive. I got my racquet strung at a tennis club about 7 miles from where I live. I am not a member but you can get a racquet strung up there. So I get it strung and I see all these kids on the courts at night and these middle aged people too and the majority of the racquets I see are the new Babolatt racquets, the Nadal paint scheme. I'm not up on Babs but the yellow and black attack racquet color scheme. I'm thinking wouldn't it be something if I walked on to the court with my Wilson T2000 Jimmy Connors metal racquet? They'd all be in shock and wonder how anyone could play with something that is not current. Or even if I walked on the court with my 16 or so year old Wilson Jim Courier racquet. I think I'd be thrown out of the place by the tennis police and it's not for not being a member of the club.

But seriously I'm sure the new Babolats are very nice racquets, in fact I'd like to demo some but just pointing out that if Nadal is using it guess what racquet the kids wanna use as well as many middle aged people? Heck Nadal could play a Head racquet painted as a Babolat and fool everyone and no kid would be the wiser. Okay the shape is diff but would any kid notice?

coachrick
07-27-2010, 01:07 PM

A thousand pardons, Hiro-san; but, the McEnroe name puts it into the '80s decade and the Kevlar and ceramic puts it likely in the late-ish '80s, I believe. Certainly doesn't diminish the pleasure you get from it. Enjoy! :)

HiroProtagonist
07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
A thousand pardons, Hiro-san; but, the McEnroe name puts it into the '80s decade and the Kevlar and ceramic puts it likely in the late-ish '80s, I believe. Certainly doesn't diminish the pleasure you get from it. Enjoy! :)

Thnx! I have had no end of trouble trying to identify this frame, but for the first time in my young life i dont really care if it is considered a high quality frame, i just love hitting with it...............is this what enlightenment feels like?:)

tiochaota
07-27-2010, 07:29 PM
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/tiochaota/photo-1.jpg

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/tiochaota/photo.jpg

tiochaota
07-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Bump bump bump

tiochaota
07-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Need to know the specs!!

anirut
07-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Need to know the specs!!

One thing I can tell you:

Just forget the specs. Go ahead, string it up with a good 16g syn gut at around 50 lbs. and you'd feel ecstatic from the aluminum flex.

In those days we knew nothing of specs. Just a racket and string combo that either feels good or crappy.

And we were happily playing ...

HiroProtagonist
07-28-2010, 09:10 PM
^^^^^ EXACTLY!!!

I gave up trying to identify my McEnroe mystery stick, it is a wonderful feeling to just go hit and enjoy the "feel" of a racquet w out thinking about the specs and what they are doing caompared to other specs and what specs are write for me etc. etc. etc.

But personally if I all ready had a stick i liked i would donate that to Goodwill, seriously ugly frame IMO.

anirut
07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
But personally if I all ready had a stick i liked i would donate that to Goodwill, seriously ugly frame IMO.

Don't judge a book by its cover .... :lol:

WilsonPlayer101
07-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Goodwill and Salvation Army stores are filled with old racquets. You can find some Wilson T-2000s at times and those are good racquets just most people won't be using them for competition but then again I hear Connors has gone back to his. I have not seen any exhibition or senior tours lately so I didn't see him play.

HiroProtagonist
07-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Don't judge a book by its cover .... :lol:

I know it's wrong, but it's how my brain is wired. If i dont like the way the racquet in my hand looks i dont play as well.

tiochaota
07-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Cause I want to sell it, maybe 20 bucks in my country

Larrysümmers
07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Find the specs out yourself? The only thing you can't figure out would be the flex. everything else you can figure out yourself

anirut
07-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Cause I want to sell it, maybe 20 bucks in my country

Try it first!! Or you might regret later. Trust us oldhands ...

But, well, I understand ... when I was young I never knew the value of the older stuff. And when I get older, getting a chance to do something with the stuff that I once thought was "outdated", many a times I regreted ...

"Twenty years from now you'll regret the things you haven't done." - Mark Twain

(I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like that.)

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Strung it w Cyclone @50 most powerful particle accelerator i ever put my hands on.

Best comment I've ever laid eyes on about a tennis racket. LOL

High Roller
07-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Aluminum, similar to the Kennex Power Ace(and probably made by Kunnan), Dunlop XLT-15, Prince Pro, and about nine million other tubular aluminum sticks of the early/mid-'80s. IF it's not bent and the grommets are OK, might be worth restringing(if needed). Nothing special, I'm afraid.

Yeah, Kunnan made almost all of the racquets with these specs/materials of the era. Amazing how "McEnroe" was plastered on so many sticks during this period.

BTW, I see you are in Austin. Rudy's extra-moist brisket would go down pretty good right now. :)

coachrick
07-29-2010, 07:07 AM
BTW, I see you are in Austin. Rudy's extra-moist brisket would go down pretty good right now. :)

Don't forget the sweet tea!

High Roller
07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Don't forget the sweet tea!

I am more likely to reach down into the cooler for a cold Shiner, or two or three. But the sweet tea is tasty. :)