PDA

View Full Version : the Holy Grail...

saram
03-29-2008, 06:45 AM
For three years, I have been playing with various sticks; Head, Tecnifibre, Wilson, Dunlop, Babolat, and Prince. I have tried or demoed them all. Some a little too heavy, some a little too light. Some too much pop and yet others just not enough pop. Some great spin, others lacking in that department. Some played great yet provided extreme post-play pain.

Two weeks ago, I pulled out one of each of my sticks, put in a new string job in all of them and headed to the courts. Each racket sitting at the end of the court and hit with each for a good 20 minutes. (I got this idea from Moz). All were great for this or that, but only one was good for me in all areas: the Prince O3 Tour MS.

Ample spin, great pop when needed, light enough for good head speed, yet stable enough on off-center hits. Small enough head to be precise if strung on the tight side.

To ensure that I was not in a re-kindled honeymoon phase with the stick, I put all others into storage and just played with the O3's for two weeks. I never found myself wanting to go get another stick out of the shed and take it out for a hit. Each time I went to play, I just packed up the bag with the 3 O3's in it and headed to the courts. So I did what every player should do: I gave all of my sticks away at rock bottom prices to all of my tennis buddies and those that were not wanted; I donated them to the youth tennis program in town. I now have only three sticks in the house and they are all the same.

Doing so gave me consistency. I am no longer curious about what racket to use this week. No longer am I worried about whether using this or that stick will create soreness within the shoulder as the Babolats used to do. I have my strings, tension, and sticks. I only focus on the fundamentals of tennis now.

Sure, maybe the stick I chose is not the Holy Grail for everyone out there. But, the combinations I found in my O3's compliment me and my game. I only think about ensuring I hit the ball out in front--no longer digging into the bag and pondering what stick to play with. I'm also not spending time stringing up sticks for the weekend that I strung two months ago as I have not used a certain stick in two months.

Like Moz said, I eliminated a variable in my game. I now only focus on my game. Moz started me thinking with his comment on how he chose his stick. As well, I thought about players like Safin and Hewitt that keep coming back to the same old stick and never change. Their game is the focus--not the stick.

My advice to others out there is to do the same. Get all the sticks you think you may like, give them a fresh set of strings and head out and hit with them. Once you find the one that works--eliminate all the others and focus on tennis and your game.

[K]aotic
03-29-2008, 08:27 AM
glad to see you found your holy grail! mine is the n6.1 95 16x18. i now have three but i like the bust out the k90 from time to time cuz its also a really great hit.

zidane339
03-29-2008, 09:13 AM
good advice..i find myself trying out new sticks but i always go back to my apdc..

SpinningForehand
03-29-2008, 09:15 AM
the o3 tour mid is a great racket!, i use it now, and am not going to switch. It feels so solid and clean when hitting with it. What string and tension do you use?

markwillplay
03-29-2008, 10:15 AM
I am sort of doing the same thing. I am a serve and volleyer and just think I should be using a mid stick. I have 2 POG OS's (4 stripe of course) that I just kept coming back to. I have played bunches of sticks over the last year...bunches. For some reason, I play my best with these POGs. I do think I can serve harder with some others, I know that I can volley a little better with other mmids, but over all, I play my best with these things. I just beat someone who is a 4.5 player and has not lost to anyone in my small town in many years probably. Guess which stick I beat him using. I have stuggles to find a stick that hit plush like the POG OS and was as forgiving as I think it is. Anyway, I am still going to try one out every now and then but I have sold a bunch of sticks in the salt 2 weeks and am cleaning out.

My main problaem is that I would like to have one more POG OS 4stripe that has about same swingweight etc.. I think 3 is enough but they do vary.I digress,,,I totally agree. Pick a stick that is best all around for your game and play with it.

DonBot
03-29-2008, 11:25 AM
aotic;2201773']glad to see you found your holy grail! mine is the n6.1 95 16x18. i now have three but i like the bust out the k90 from time to time cuz its also a really great hit.

The n6.1 95 is hard to beat- it is just so solid in every aspect of play with a poly in it- but strung with a multi- whole different story.

[K]aotic
03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
The n6.1 95 is hard to beat- it is just so solid in every aspect of play with a poly in it- but strung with a multi- whole different story.
i got poly with gut in it. it plays GREAT

Double Fault
03-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Well, you've eliminated the frame variable, but what about strings?

I'm pretty much settled on the RDX500MP but I love to try different strings and tensions, something that makes the frame play completely different.