PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone do the "Sampras Slam"

RoddickistheMan
03-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Arguably one of the coolest shots in tennis the sampras slam is not only a marvel to watch but also a blast to execute. I was wondering if anyone does the sampras slam and if so can post some vids of it.

Djokovicfan4life
03-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Arguably one of the coolest shots in tennis the sampras slam is not only a marvel to watch but also a blast to execute. I was wondering if anyone does the sampras slam and if so can post some vids of it.

I try sometimes but my timing is still off. One day I will master this shot and become a worthy leader of the Overhead Smash Organization!

boojay
03-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I have my own version of a jump smash. It's probably nothing like his, but it would have more basketball influences than his I imagine as that's my primary sports background. It's not a shot I practice, it just naturally happens within the flow of a rally/match when the opportunity presents itself, which is very rare. I only get to do it maybe once a week so it would be very hard to purposely get it on video.

Essential Tennis
03-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Sure, only on the easiest and shortest of overheads though, heh. It's not worth the risk of missing it to try it on a moderately difficult overhead.

It is extremely difficult to time, very tough shot to pull off without looking stupid, heh.

WildVolley
03-29-2008, 04:58 PM
I used to do it about a decade ago when I could easily dunk a basketball. If you don't have a lot of vertical jumping ability you tend to lose confidence to try it. It's very easy to send that shot off the frame or over the fence.

NotAtTheNet
03-29-2008, 05:05 PM
I've tried to do the sampras jumping smash in a match, just barely caught it on the tip of my racquet head and popped my strings... not much velocity on the smash too either... it was luckily returned into the net...

hewittfan3
03-29-2008, 05:09 PM
when you do it correctly it feels awesome. I dont normally do it but if the ball is the right height and the right distance then i feel its easier to do the sampras slam to end a point

Zachol82
03-29-2008, 05:26 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tybw0cHqnN0

Ftw?

User Name
03-29-2008, 05:35 PM
i do it on shorter overhead, that i can come in on to hit. you have to jump and land on the same foot.

dave333
03-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I've tried many times, only did it succesfully a couple times. My hand-eye coordination kinda sucks though.

i8myshirt
03-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I have my own version of a jump smash. It's probably nothing like his, but it would have more basketball influences than his I imagine as that's my primary sports background. It's not a shot I practice, it just naturally happens within the flow of a rally/match when the opportunity presents itself, which is very rare. I only get to do it maybe once a week so it would be very hard to purposely get it on video.

Sampras used to play a lot of basketball during his free time.

I've also tried to do it during matches with friends and stuff but I usually hit the frame so it ends up being a dead ball into the court of completely out.

1337Kira
03-29-2008, 07:36 PM
I do it sometimes, if the height of the ball makes it more advantageous to do so.

TonLars
03-29-2008, 08:38 PM
This is the shot that sent me to wrist surgery 2 weeks later. It was already strained from 10 months earlier which is why it happened likely though. I went up for a high floating lob, and pulled my head down to early and whiffed it, making the wrist hyper flex I guess since the ball would probably have slowed it down if I had hit it.

Maybe the lesson I should learn from it I guess is not to show off in front of a crowd.

ryohazuki222
03-29-2008, 09:00 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tybw0cHqnN0

Ftw?

No.... This is the best showcase I've seen: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jnSCzR-Ni9Y&feature=related

I wish I can do it. The first slam in the video is what I would call THE patented jump smash. I cant do that one... too hard to focus on hitting a solid overhead while trying to bend my knees in midair..... I will master it someday though!

Essential Tennis
03-30-2008, 05:45 AM
No.... This is the best showcase I've seen: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jnSCzR-Ni9Y&feature=related

Thats such incredible athleticism, I really miss watching him play.

psYcon
03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I used to do it often 10 years back when I was more athletic, now I feel it's not feasible anymore. I also used to play badminton a lot back then which helped me with this.

Nadal_Monfils
03-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I do it sometimes. Once in a match I did it twice and it hit the top of the net both times and just rolled over. It's a pretty easy shot for me because I can jump pretty high and I can dunk in basketball.

quicken
03-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I can do it. It's kind of like a badminton smash :D

Solat
03-31-2008, 12:17 AM
i reckon i tried it about 7 times this last season and did not make one of them, but hot damn it was fun :D

vndesu
03-31-2008, 12:34 AM
if my opponet gives me a lob after my 1st big serve i almost always try to do a dunk smash xD

grimmbomb21
03-31-2008, 12:42 AM
One of my teammates was getting killed in a usta match by some sandbagger, and on match point thought "What the hell?" on a short lob. He jumped, whiffed the ball, and SMASHED himself in the nuts with his racquet. The other guy had to walk over for the handshake and make sure he was okay, as he laid on the ground for a bit. Only a couple of my teammates saw it, as the rest of us were still playing. But they said it was funny as hell.:twisted:

boojay
03-31-2008, 01:22 AM
I do a lot of weak jumping backhand smashes though. A couple are on display in my Synopsis vid in my sig. I'm hoping to someday turn it into a viable weapon. I'm beginning to make use of the kinetic chain more properly than ever and I'm applying it to the backhand smash. You can get some ridiculous power despite such an awkward position to hit from.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 04:14 AM

The jumping volley is one of the easiest shots to do for those who are fairly athletic. A ground bound player would have trouble doing that shot though.

boojay
03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
The jumping volley is one of the easiest shots to do for those who are fairly athletic. A ground bound player would have trouble doing that shot though.

Let me correct myself then, I'm doing jumping backhand volleys, but I have done jumping backhand smashes before, however weak they are. I'd like to execute backhand smashes that go higher than the fence someday. Athleticism can be a curse though when you're rushing the net. You're able to reach a lot of shots that you shouldn't go after.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Let me correct myself then, I'm doing jumping backhand volleys, but I have done jumping backhand smashes before, however weak they are. I'd like to execute backhand smashes that go higher than the fence someday. Athleticism can be a curse though when you're rushing the net. You're able to reach a lot of shots that you shouldn't go after.

That's because you're 5 foot 5.