PDA

View Full Version : Please criticize my strokes, thanks

MichaelChang
03-29-2008, 01:25 PM
A short video of my warmup stroke, hitting a ball machine.
backhand start from the middle. Any comments are very welcome. Also like to know roughly what level should I be playing in. (I only play once/twice in weekend, mid 30 age). Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EgFcYgbNpE

krchawaii
03-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't really know much..

But first off I notice that you're not really balanced ...
I think that start from you standing too upright...bend your knees a little..

MichaelChang
03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks! I agree, I think I have developed some bad habits along the way. And I was "walking" through this warm up. :)

quest01
03-29-2008, 02:16 PM
The strokes look pretty good, I would say probably a 4.0. I notice you don't use your left hand at all on your forehand and the backhand technique and stroke look fluid.

Zachol82
03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
You seem relaxed, this is important so great job on that.

Your forehand:
I notice that you are hitting on the wrong foot a lot, meaning that you're a right hander and you should be stepping off on your left foot when you hit the ball, meaning that most of your weight should be transfered to your left foot when hitting a forehand. You seem unbalanced because of this.

The second thing I notice is that you are stepping back before hitting the ball, never ever step back...unless you don't have any other choice and your main concern is trying to get the ball back. Try stepping forward and transfering your weight into your left foot before impact. The follow through should make your right foot want to kick up a little.

Yes, you should be bending more as well.

Your backhand:
Seems solid. Watch yourself after you read my comments and compare your forehand to your backhand. You are stepping off on the correct foot on your backhand. You're hitting off on your RIGHT foot on your backhand so for a forehand you should be hitting off on your LEFT foot. Also, you are keeping your head lower as well as bending more.

Goodluck!!

quicken
03-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Maybe its the camera angle but the timing on your forehand seems a bit late. Hit infront of your body more.

MichaelChang
03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks to all! Yeah I think my footwork/balance definitely is weak. I am also moving slower as aging up. Regarding to the "step back" on forehand, let me ask a question here: if you anticipated the ball and positioned yourself, and sort of getting ready to hit, but once the ball bounced up you found it bouncing higher/deeper than you expected, what do you do? Two choices I suppose: 1. hit it on the rise. 2. take a step back? I know moving the weight back is not the right way for hitting, less power and less control. If the ball is really coming fast I guess I will mostly hit it on the rise, hard to add control to those shots though, at my current level.

User Name
03-29-2008, 04:32 PM
you need to work on the split step... the small jump before you approach the ball, timing is different from who your playing, but your footwork is what i would focus on, things look a little slow m o t i o n

MichaelChang
03-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Maybe its the camera angle but the timing on your forehand seems a bit late. Hit infront of your body more.

I will try to watch out for the timing next time, the camera is right next to the net, sort of a 45% degree.

Zachol82
03-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks to all! Yeah I think my footwork/balance definitely is weak. I am also moving slower as aging up. Regarding to the "step back" on forehand, let me ask a question here: if you anticipated the ball and positioned yourself, and sort of getting ready to hit, but once the ball bounced up you found it bouncing higher/deeper than you expected, what do you do? Two choices I suppose: 1. hit it on the rise. 2. take a step back? I know moving the weight back is not the right way for hitting, less power and less control. If the ball is really coming fast I guess I will mostly hit it on the rise, hard to add control to those shots though, at my current level.

Right, like I said, you would only take a step back in case of emergencies. If the ball bounces higher than you expect, then I guess that can be sort of a "oh ****!" moment. However, this only matters in a game. During practices, don't worry about not getting the ball over. Practice on your form first and then afterward, try to hit every ball over. The more you play, the better your judgement and anticipation will be and you'll be able to time your shots better.

Form should be everyone's primary concerns when their shots are not going the way they want it to or if it just feels "wrong." Think about this, if you can train your body to hit in correct form, then all you have left to do is to get there and just let your form do the rest of the work.

MichaelChang
03-29-2008, 04:41 PM
you need to work on the split step... the small jump before you approach the ball, timing is different from who your playing, but your footwork is what i would focus on, things look a little slow m o t i o n

Oops, I think I been missing that "little jump" most of the times, bad habits of a weekend player. Thank you for pointing that out!

And thank you Zachol82 too!

MichaelChang
03-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Form should be everyone's primary concerns when their shots are not going the way they want it to or if it just feels "wrong." Think about this, if you can train your body to hit in correct form, then all you have left to do is to get there and just let your form do the rest of the work.

A related question: when people hit with spin or flat, do they manage these different shots to come from (based on) the same form? right now my understanding is it is more of a difference in wrist and follow up, but I could be very wrong. Thank you very much!

Bundey
03-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Move your feet. Solid strokes.

35ft6
03-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Have your left hand go back with the racket much longer, to the point where when you release your left hand from the racket, you can stick your arm straight out and have it be almost parallel to the net.

Zachol82
03-29-2008, 10:24 PM
A related question: when people hit with spin or flat, do they manage these different shots to come from (based on) the same form? right now my understanding is it is more of a difference in wrist and follow up, but I could be very wrong. Thank you very much!

What I meant when saying "correct form" is that you should not be stepping into the ball with your right foot while hitting a forehand (being a right-hander). Even if people want to hit top-spin, slice, or flat, they would still have to step in on the right foot.

The reason for this is that correct form provides the MOST power while using the LEAST energy as well as helping you with consistency and sometimes avoiding injuries even.

This doesn't mean that I always hit in correct form. Heck, a lot of shots catch me off guard and the only thing I care about right then is to get it over...somehow. But yes, when I practice, then I do try and hit in correct form.

MichaelChang
03-30-2008, 04:48 AM
35ft6, you mean when hitting forehand? Thanks.

Zachol82, thanks! I will keep that in mind down the road and work on it.

35ft6
03-30-2008, 01:47 PM
35ft6, you mean when hitting forehand? Thanks..Yes, imagine this:
http://www.tennisthoughts.com/images/aa-forehand-preparation.jpg
Go back with the racket longer to ensure a full shoulder turn. Right now you keep your left arm mostly point AT the ball, which might help your aim, but doesn't allow you to use your arm for balance and generating more torque.

It happens really fast, but at the one second mark you see Agassi's arm straight out across his body, parallel to the net (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IBiY1dH_guI) This allows the left arm to act as a counterweight. At first, it's out for balance, but as he swings, it brings it in, much as a figure skater brings their arms in when they want to start spinning faster. This is something you're not doing, you arm the ball.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Pretty nice strokes.

I like that you are trying to use your left arm to point at the ball...This is good. But, as mentioned ^, you also want to use it to act as a counterweight to your dominant arm. Your left arm just kinda does nothing after it points to the ball.

Also, you need to step more into the ball or hit it earlier, not so much when it has dropped that low. Your backhand looks like it has less spin than your forehand, but looks nice...

bcast66
03-30-2008, 03:02 PM
The strokes look pretty good, I would say probably a 4.0. I notice you don't use your left hand at all on your forehand and the backhand technique and stroke look fluid.

looks like a 3.0 to me.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
easily more than a 3.0...

MichaelChang
03-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Thank you guys! I have learnt much from your inputs, will have to hit the court and digest them. Thanks!