PDA

View Full Version : Need basics of a drop shot...

Jim Clark
03-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I know it's a low percentage shot, but can someone point out the simple execution of this shot--ie. swing high to low, etc

RestockingTues
03-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Use a grip you'd normally have for slicing, and hold the grip really softly. You're basically hitting a very short slice that floats through the air. Usually you'd want to keep a short back swing, but for the purpose of deception I'd recommend that you take a full backswing, and before you hit the ball SLOW DOWN. No follow through necessary ;)
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm just describing how I hit a drop shot. The other board members are definitely more qualified then I am to help you with this haha.
Good luck with learning it.

RestockingTues
03-29-2008, 01:56 PM
http://tennis.about.com/cs/yourgame/a/learndropshot.htm

That's where I learned how to hit a drop shot (besides the tennis court), everything I posted was pretty much ripped off of that article.

Zachol82
03-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Most shots in Tennis are pretty common sense, meaning that if you think swinging the racquet a certain way will have that certain affect on the ball, then you're right. Sure there's some minor physics involved but these things come to us naturally if we just stop and think.

I'm right handed so keep this in mind when reading.

For a dropshot, if you want the ball to bounce lower and shorter than you would have to generate more spin and less forward force. You cannot have both since this would result in a heavy slice, not necessarily a drop shot...although the line between a slice and dropshot is thin.

This means that it is easier to execute a drop shot by slicing from high to low and I do recommend this since it's easy to do. Make sure that the racquet head is perpendicular to the ball, since most people I see executing a dropshot, including myself sometimes, tend to follow through in a counter-clockwise direction. This is natural since right handers tend to slice it this way, which would make the ball spin to the left in the air and after it bounces. This is still an affective shot nonetheless but since this thread is about the basic dropshot...

Doing a pure drop shot means that you are exerting a forward force on the ball, putting enough backspin on it so that when it lends, it bounces lower and shorter. This means that:
1) You start from high, before impact.
2) You end at the LOWEST point, right after impact.
3) Your follow through is a bit higher than the point right after impact but still a lot lower than when you start. A lot of this will make the ball float.

Pretty much, your strings are touching a little bit of the bottom of the ball. So...generally your swing should look like a backward Nike swoosh. Theoretically, the higher your follow through is, the more affective the dropshot is but keep in mind that:
1) The more spin you have on the ball, the slower it will go...which means your opponent has a bit more time to react, but they may not anticipate the ball to bounce so short and low. Doing this too many times in a game and it will be useless since your opponent can kind of predict how far it will bounce.
2) It strains your wrist.

Rickson
03-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I know it's a low percentage shot, but can someone point out the simple execution of this shot--ie. swing high to low, etc

I like putting backspin on my droppers, but in reality, you can just hit a touch shot and the ball will die enough to be considered a dropshot. I like the backspin dropper because it creates an unusual bounce for the opponent and for this shot you'd need the high to low motion. Hit the ball with a square face (not open) and go inside out with the shot. You'll produce a spin that goes inside out after the bounce as well.