PDA

View Full Version : Is The Head Radical Any Good

kPHAT
03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I might buy this one

Shashwat
03-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Head Radical what? There are a lot of Head Radicals.

toughshot
03-29-2008, 04:35 PM
what kind of blasphemy is this.

All the radicals are real nice, maybe a little too light but it's a great beginner to pro frame

kPHAT
03-29-2008, 04:35 PM
The Head MicroGEL Radical not the pro or the oversize

kPHAT
03-29-2008, 04:36 PM
or team ..

soggyramen
03-29-2008, 04:38 PM
yeah it's just too light for me.

Shashwat
03-29-2008, 04:40 PM
It's a great frame, i have been hitting it for a week and really like it. But when i was playing better players, i didn't feel it was too stable.

Tennisguy777
03-29-2008, 06:25 PM
lead tape on 3 and 9 o'clocks and also add a little under grip try 2g at 3 and 2g at 4 and put 4g under grip.

rondallrp
03-29-2008, 07:03 PM
I thought it was too light as well. And too dense of a string pattern for such a light racquet. It is very comfortable and has loads of control. I just couldn’t get the ball to go though the court with any consistency. When I did everything right with my swing and timing I hit good deep penetrating shots with top spin. But if I did not rip through the ball with exaggerated topspin the ball would sit up and wait for my opponent to smack it back down my throat. And there was a tendency to hit a little short. I was able to get great angles. The racquet sliced thru the air with ease and was easy to maneuver…particularly at net. It was fun to swing but because my shots lacked any pace my opponent often took control of the point. Fun to pay with but not effective for my style of swing.

rabidcow
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
the answer is yes, great frame for a number of players, you can also easily lead it up when you get better and need a heavier frame

Shashwat
03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
I thought it was too light as well. And too dense of a string pattern for such a light racquet. It is very comfortable and has loads of control. I just couldn’t get the ball to go though the court with any consistency. When I did everything right with my swing and timing I hit good deep penetrating shots with top spin. But if I did not rip through the ball with exaggerated topspin the ball would sit up and wait for my opponent to smack it back down my throat. And there was a tendency to hit a little short. I was able to get great angles. The racquet sliced thru the air with ease and was easy to maneuver…particularly at net. It was fun to swing but because my shots lacked any pace my opponent often took control of the point. Fun to pay with but not effective for my style of swing.

Same EXACT thing here. Didn't get much depth and i had to take huge cuts every point to keep it in deep. Drop shots and slices were amazing but it didn't have the needed heft for volleys so I actually kind of had to swing a little on my volleys.

K95, had too much power for me, and I do not like the thick beam at all. MG rad is just too light. I am now looking into RDS002 tour and Babolat PST. If you have hit with these, can you kind of give a mini review like you did for the MG rad. Thanks.

Edit:Also,

My K95 weighs 12.7oz.......wilson's QC.

suppawat
03-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I used to play a few radical OS racquets - Liquid Metal, FlexPoint, and Agassi LE. Agassi LE is by far the best Radical in my opinion.

tamaj13
03-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Received brand new MG Rad Pros a few days ago and have hit with them a few times and restrung them a few times trying to get em to play as I'd like. I have been use the FP Rad Tour for a few months and they have worked pretty well, although the feel hasn't been nearly as sweet as my PSC 6.1.

The racquets actually feel like clubs to me. The additional stiffness decreased the feel I believe. I've used a poly string for mains and FXP for crosses. I haven't had any problems with power. Controlling the power has actually been more of an issue. Any ideas?

I am a Men's 45s tournament player with an all-court (formerly s/v) game. Thanks.

Pleepers
03-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Just ask the Head Radical Club :shock:

MichaelChang
03-29-2008, 08:12 PM
It depends on your playing style, your needs. No quick/simple answer. Some old radicals are very heavy, and the recent new models become lighter. The best way is to demo that frame yourself, along with a few other frame with similar specs (the specs you looking for). I suppose you looking for a dense pattern midplus racket under 12oz.

Radical Shot
03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Agreed. Radicals are great. A leaded up TiRadical is a poor man's Prestige.

bertrevert
03-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Ugh getting the ball to go through the court, agreed, is a difficult enterprise with the new MG Rad MP

It is one tasty "concoction" but as this implies ultimately lacks substance. You absolutely need to add lead.

Having said that it's amazing what performance they get out of something so light. It's a dream to hit with so long as your opponent isn't a heavy hitter or lacks mobility because the ball it hits is easily run down.

Just wasn't getting court penetration, better now with kBlade 98 with 6-8 grams lead under buttcap.

master_stringer_mitchy
03-30-2008, 05:15 AM
i hve used many radicals before and find them to be a good racket. from stock its just to light for me, but i found adding weight helps with stability, however, if you like the rad mp but its to light, just try to prestige mp.

bertrevert
03-30-2008, 06:02 AM
^^^ See I find it strange to say you can go to a Prestige from a Radical... they're just such different DNA.

See with the Prestige you're going to be adding all yr own power. The Rad isn't exactly overpowered but it does add some.

Back to the OP - if haven't ever tried even a Rad I have a hunch you might struggle with a Pres... just get an LM Rad for cheap and then y'll know...

master_stringer_mitchy
03-30-2008, 06:29 AM
^^^ See I find it strange to say you can go to a Prestige from a Radical... they're just such different DNA.

See with the Prestige you're going to be adding all yr own power. The Rad isn't exactly overpowered but it does add some.

Back to the OP - if haven't ever tried even a Rad I have a hunch you might struggle with a Pres... just get an LM Rad for cheap and then y'll know...

i just found that the sweetspot on both rackets is the same, same headsize, and strign pattern but diff balance. what i am saying is, if your finding the radical to light, try the prestige as if you time it well with it, u get the rewards.

TfReAk
03-30-2008, 06:47 AM
I have 2 LM rad MP and currently Im trying out the i.prestige. The rad's are very nice rackets, but Im finding out if a heavier racket suits me.

Z-Man
03-30-2008, 06:48 AM
It depends on your level, but if you want something lighter, get a LM Radical. If you're stronger or a more advanced player, go with the LE Radical. Both can be had cheaply. The LE is heavier and stiffer than the LM. I'm sure the new ones are great too, you'll just pay a premium for the new paint.

tamaj13
03-30-2008, 07:33 PM

I agree! They are totally different racquets in feel and production. I tried the prestige pro and really liked the feel of that racquet (as similar as I have found to the PSC 6.1). But I had the same issue with it as with the 6.1: I have to generate all of the power. With the Radical Tour, it provided quite a bit more pop than the prestige, although the prestige felt better. I need help with the pop these days as I am playing senior tennis now.

GPB
03-30-2008, 08:11 PM
The LiquidMetal Radical midplus reminds me of a lighter version of my psc 6.1. The LM Radical oversize is like a rocket launcher - tons of fun to play with, but slightly lacking in consistency. I've also hit a bit with the Microgel Radical OS, and think it's kinda *blah*. Nothing to complain about, but nothing outstanding, either.

kevsaenz
03-31-2008, 09:54 PM
I actually like my LM Radical better than i liked the new MG one.

origmarm
04-01-2008, 12:47 AM
I actually like my LM Radical better than i liked the new MG one.

I agree. It's a tough call though as the MG feels different, it's nicer for the touch shots but just has no plough through. I leaded up my brother's MG Rad at 3&9 + handle and it seems to be better.

TfReAk
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I have 2 LM rad MP and I just love them. Although the racket has a very dense stringpattern, it provides me some good spin. In my mind generating spin is about mechanics and not due to the racket, but that 's is not the issue now.

It's also a very maneuverable racket which helps at the net and on serve returns. Give the LM rad mp a try and find out if it suits your game. Ain't much $$$ for a good racket.

heftylefty
04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Although I switched to Babolat PST, I own 5 iRadical MP all in solid condition, no cracks, and I love them.

If you can find any iRadical MP, jump on them. But try not to overpay. Any iRadical, not new, costing over $70.00, pass on it.

BallBeemer
04-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Which? There are many

toughshot
04-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Ugh getting the ball to go through the court, agreed, is a difficult enterprise with the new MG Rad MP

It is one tasty "concoction" but as this implies ultimately lacks substance. You absolutely need to add lead.

Having said that it's amazing what performance they get out of something so light. It's a dream to hit with so long as your opponent isn't a heavy hitter or lacks mobility because the ball it hits is easily run down.

Just wasn't getting court penetration, better now with kBlade 98 with 6-8 grams lead under buttcap.

It may be your swing path

I have a friend named Sean who uses the MG Radical MP and hits a super heavy ball on both wings.. who knows-- maybe if he used a heavier racket the ball would be heavier

bertrevert
04-01-2008, 07:16 PM
It may be your swing path

Should have added that I was just comparing court penetration of LM Rad versus MG Rad. I'm getting less with the latter.

Moreover, now my hitting partner says I'm getting more weight on shots with kBlade 98 than with any prev Rad.

I think it's all just a swingweight and timing issue...

The MG Rad is still surely one nice racquet, a fantastic combination if you happen to like or need to use lighter (sub-12oz) racquets (which I do).

Tempest344
04-01-2008, 10:49 PM
yes

especially the LM MP version