PDA

View Full Version : How to hit a good slice serve?

Lendl and Federer Fan
03-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I can hit the corner pretty well to my opponents' forehand, but the ball usually does not slice away from them. How do you create that nasty slice serve that slices wide and away from the opponent like some of the pros do?

AznHylite
03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
What I do is add lots of pace combined with the slice to create that bouncing away effect. I don't know if it's the right method, but it seems to work for me. =)

Undrayon
03-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I hit an extremely nasty slice serve. It lands halfway between the net and the service line for a huge angle and the ball just cuts away.

I hit AROUND the ball so much that it even makes a completely different noise, the only thing I think about when I hit it is....hit the crap out of the ball. It's easy to hit a flat ball hard because all the power goes into pace. For a really nasty slice serve, you need alot of racquet speed for the spin because if the ball is barely moving it will have slow ball rotation and almost no power.

This week I'll try to make a video for you. My friend does the taping and he's busy so it's whenever he is available.

tennisdad65
03-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Undrayon:
where does your racket finish? across your body?
you slice the ball at 3 on the clock?
do you aim at the center of the box and the slice action takes it to the sideline?

TennisProdigy
03-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I hit an extremely nasty slice serve. It lands halfway between the net and the service line for a huge angle and the ball just cuts away.

I hit AROUND the ball so much that it even makes a completely different noise, the only thing I think about when I hit it is....hit the crap out of the ball. It's easy to hit a flat ball hard because all the power goes into pace. For a really nasty slice serve, you need alot of racquet speed for the spin because if the ball is barely moving it will have slow ball rotation and almost no power.

This week I'll try to make a video for you. My friend does the taping and he's busy so it's whenever he is available.

Yup the different sound you hear means you are hitting the slice serve correctly. The key is to hit around the ball like you, getting the same racquet head speed as your flat serve, and toss the ball a little further to your right for a right handed person.

tennis_player09
03-29-2008, 09:21 PM
I "try" to hit a slice serve, but it doesn't always go in nor slide low...
So Undrayon, a video of your nasty slice and commentary's of how to do it would be Super Nice!!!

thx

Zachol82
03-29-2008, 11:00 PM
I can hit the corner pretty well to my opponents' forehand, but the ball usually does not slice away from them. How do you create that nasty slice serve that slices wide and away from the opponent like some of the pros do?

Let me ask you something first. Where is your racquet face facing right after it came in contact with the ball on your serve?

Your racquet face should be facing directly at the court, the more parallel your racquet face is to the baseline, the more extreme the spin will be. Why? You are brushing the ball from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, which is the most sidespin you can put on the ball, considering your racquet head speed and everything else is the same. The ball will travel extremely slow and after it hits, it should bounce to the left. If you're a lefty, then you would be brushing the ball from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock and the ball should bounce right.

Note that i said BRUSHING, not hitting. The more forward force you put on the ball, the less affective the spin will be. This also means that the more spin you put on the ball, the slower it will travel. Hence why flat serves are the fastest, given the same amount of force applied.

J-Mack
03-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Note that i said BRUSHING, not hitting. The more forward force you put on the ball, the less affective the spin will be. This also means that the more spin you put on the ball, the slower it will travel. Hence why flat serves are the fastest, given the same amount of force applied.

Zachol, when I hit the slice with what seems like a ton of spin, it moves so slowly over the net that my hitting partner has time to just move out wide and hit nasty cross-court return winners. How do you get the slice serve to slice but not cross the net like a beach ball in the wind?

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-01-2008, 08:13 PM

Please post the video.

goober
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
These are all the videos you need:)

http://tennis.com/yourgame/instructionvideos/serve/serve.aspx?id=35852

Nellie
04-02-2008, 06:35 AM
^^^^ the key phrases in that video are "blading the ball" and "no direct contact"

Try this sometime to get good feel for the slice: hold your racquet so the face is entirely vertical, and try bouncing a ball on the ground by brushing on the side of the ball, but keeping the racquet face almost vertical.

On a good slice serve, most of the energy goes to spin, so the ball will be slower and will dip more, but will take off at contact in the service box.

vince916
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM

Wow I never knew you hit the ball at such a angle.

How do the pros get so much pace with their slice serves? Dont they slice it wide at 100+ mph?

split-step
04-02-2008, 09:54 PM
A 100+mph is very fast for a slice serve. I think male pros are in the upper 90s for slice and female pros 80s

I just want to echo whoever mentioned the brushing noise. This is what totally revolutionalized my kick and slice serves.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I want to hit the slice serve with some decent pace like the pros. You don't want to open up the court with a moon ball, that is why I brush the ball around 2'o clock; it kicks pretty high, but does not slice away. From what I am hearing from here, the slice serve stays very low, right?

tennisplayer1981
04-03-2008, 04:26 AM
I want to hit the slice serve with some decent pace like the pros. You don't want to open up the court with a moon ball, that is why I brush the ball around 2'o clock; it kicks pretty high, but does not slice away. From what I am hearing from here, the slice serve stays very low, right?

Yes. I've had occasions where my slice serves took 2 bounces to reach the baseline.

tennisdad65
04-15-2008, 08:28 AM

Great link.. thanks!! Best one I have seen yet for a slice serve.

tennisdad65
04-15-2008, 08:40 AM
How do the pros get so much pace with their slice serves? Dont they slice it wide at 100+ mph?

You are right. Novak or Tsonga hit their so called slice serves at 100+ but they do NOT go truly edge on like the video shows. And they do not hit it upwards like the video shows. They hit their slices flatter and faster with with the racket face more like 30-45 degrees to the ball. Ofcourse, Tsonga and Novak are 6-1+ so they can pull this slice off with decent percentages.

The edge on slice when hit upwards (as shown in the video) is the one that sometimes bounces halfway up the service box near the sideline and goes off really wide. Sampras used to hit this sometimes.

sulcer
04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
The best advice I ever received on hitting a slice serve is to throw the frame of your racket directly at the ball, this is with a continental grip. Also, toss the ball a little right of where you normally would, about 1 oclock.

Djokovicfan4life
04-15-2008, 01:57 PM

It all depends on the degree of spin that is put on the ball. Even so-called flat serves will get a little slice on them naturally, but for huge sliding, low bouncing slices you should obviously take a LOT of pace off. Not swing slower, mind you, just more spin and less drive, if you know what I mean.