PDA

View Full Version : choosing a beginner racquet

relax
03-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi,
I need a raquet for my son who is 14 and just learning to play. I am unable to demo in my area and really can't afford 20.00 a pop to demo online, which is what it costs to my location.
I am hoping to keep it under 80.00, preferably less. He is 5'10" and 145 lbs. Average/slim and not very athletic but tends to do well at most things he tries. He made the HS team and never played before so he picks things up pretty fast.
From what I have read here it is my feeling that he should go with a larger head. He gets frustrated and gives up easily if something is too difficult. I would like him to continue with tennis forever, it is great exercise.
So, if you have any recommendations, please feel free to add your many cents.
Thanks!!

racquet_jedi
03-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Here are some racquets he may like, they are also ones that he would most likely want to keep for the rest of his tennis years:

Prince Shark Midplus (you can choose between the 03 Hybrid or the one without the 03)

Head Liquidmetal Radical Midplus
Head Liquidmetal Instinct

My suggestion is that you get him a medium-sized head racquet, not one that's too large (like a 110 oversize), as eventually, he'll most likely feel that he'll want a racquet with a smaller head...

relax
03-31-2008, 05:02 PM
They are using larger 110 racquets now, temporary school issue.
I don't want to get one under 100 because it may be hard for him to get used to. The Head liquidmetal 8 is recommended for beginners. It is probably popular with newbs and will have a good re-sale value on ****. Something like that would be great because I have built up sufficient feedback to sell and get a good return.
Any other ideas along those lines????

Babb
03-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree with racquet_jedi. At least in my case, if you learn with an oversize, it's hard to stray from it. It's like sleeping pills. Eventually you become dependent. And I'm afraid that I have become dependent on the large sweetspot of an oversize...

hewittfan3
03-31-2008, 05:19 PM
My first racquet was a wilson hyper hammer and i think it is a great beginner racquet...its also a good racquet that if you like it enough u could use it in more competitive play...also their around $70...i would check these hyper hammers out

relax
03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
what if I get him a couple different racquets, one that is larger and one that is midsize so he can alternate. Do you think he would or do you think he would insist on using the easier one? I might be able to get a good deal on some decent used racquets here or on the most popular auction site. If you see any that look good, let me know. And any more comments and recommendations would be great. I already have few in mind to bid on.
Thanks for all the help!

OrangeOne
03-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Whatever you do, don't buy him two different racquets.

Oh - and anyone can demo - you just try as many frames as you can from friends or schoolmates or whatever.

If he plays ok with the school issue frame (good enough to make the team), why not just buy him one of those (unless it's prohibitively expensive, which is unlikely for a loaner racquet).

My humble opinion: worry less about headsize, especially for a beginner. Find something that he's comfortable with (just avoid any extremes) and he'll be fine.

allrightguy
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
What is the school issued racquet even? I've never heard of a high school "team" racquet.

lethalfang
04-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Head Radical OS should be a pretty good choice, like this one:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-LMRADO.html

It's in your price range, and it's a good racquet the more advanced players can use as well.

Disregard the board's bias toward OS racquets. There're plenty of good players with OS racquets.

heftylefty
04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
May I suggest your son using the oversize head radical. You can find them for under $80.00 new at TW. If you are going to get your son two racquets, they should be the same size.

dman72
04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Head oversize radical is probably slightly underpowered for a beginner. Liquidmetal 4 is probably a better choice.

relax
04-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I will look for one of those racquets.

The school racquets aren't team issue, they are for the newbies to use until they can get their own racquet. They are dunlop and either 110 or 112 head size. I do not know the model off hand, but they can't be an expensive and although it does not say grip size I am pretty sure the one he has been using is too small for his very long hand. He probably should have at least 4 5/8", his hand is 8" long.

paperduetoday
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
If you want him to progress, HEAD Radical Liquidmetal, or HEAD Instinct Liquidmetal. If you just want a basic beginner racquet, it would be a Prince AirDB or something or that nature.