PDA

View Full Version : New Comparative Review now up at TW

BreakPoint
01-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Looks like my latest comparative review has just been posted.

I compared the Wilson nSix-One 95 16x18 vs. Head LM Radical MP vs. ProKennex Ionic Ki 5. Have a look.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP03.html

Enjoy! :D

(BTW, where's your latest review, TripleB? I've been waiting to read it. I actually submitted mine several days after yours.)

TripleB
01-04-2005, 12:43 PM
BreakPoint,

I'm wondering the same thing. I sent mine in the Tuesday before Christmas (December 21st) but I haven't heard anything concerning it other than Chris had received it but he was sick over the Christmas holidays. If it's not up by the end of the week maybe I'll e-mail him and see what's happening with it. Maybe they didn't like it :( and have refused to publish it. It was quite long though...I think as a Word document it was about 6 and 1/2 pages long.

BTW - Nice write up on the those racquets!

TripleB

Gaines Hillix
01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Looks like my latest comparative review has just been posted.

I compared the Wilson nSix-One 95 16x18 vs. Head LM Radical MP vs. ProKennex Ionic Ki 5. Have a look.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP03.html

Enjoy! :D

(BTW, where's your latest review, TripleB? I've been waiting to read it. I actually submitted mine several days after yours.)

BreakPoint, nice work. BTW, have you ever demoed a POG MP and if so, what were your thoughts on it versus your usual PS Original 6.0 95?

BreakPoint
01-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Gaines,
Yes, I demoed the POG MP a couple of years ago. From what I remember vesus the PS 6.0 95: The POG was better from the baseline in that I could hit the ball harder and it had a more solid feel to groundstrokes. In fact, it felt like I couldn't miss no matter how hard I swung. I could hit laser like groundies with it. However, I found it to be sluggish on serves and on volleys. I think it's balanced more even than the PS 95. Thus, maneuverability definitely suffered. Since serving and volleying is such an important part of my game, I wasn't willing to make the trade-off. I could serve bigger bombs and be quicker at the net with the PS 95. The POG certainly did feel great, though, and I was definitely tempted to switch. Hope this helps.

bertrevert
01-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Breakpoint: "this racquet was the biggest surprise out of the three to me ... I tend to lean more towards player's racquets but I actually liked this better than the LM Prestige."

Great stuff - the LM Radical MP has the same swingweight as the LM Prestige MP but static weight is lighter. It's great that you used it in singles and doubles. Some q's:

. Were you satisfied the Radical has enough heft from the baseline?
. To your liking, did it play close enough to a player's racquet?
. Versatile, large sweet spot, no stiff feel - any one thing you didn't like?
. Liked better than the Prestige - but the same feel?

BreakPoint
01-04-2005, 04:35 PM
bertrevert,
- I found the LM Rad had enough heft for forehands but could use a tad more weight for one-handed backhands, especially for slice BHs. I think an ideal trade-off for me would be a racquet exactly in between the weight of the LM Rad MP and the LM Rad MP Tour.
- It felt more like a player's racquet than I expected, meaning it had lots of feel without being too stiff nor powerful.
- What I didn't like is that against really hard hitters or on certain shots, like the slice 1H BH, the racquet can feel a bit unstable. That's probably the only hting I didn't like about it.
- I thought it had a similar feel to that of the LM Prestige MP, perhaps just a tad stiffer and less wobbly. I felt my shots were more solid with the Rad than with the Prestige and I could serve much better with the Rad than with the Prestige.

Hope this helps.

BHud
01-04-2005, 07:16 PM
BreakPoint is "spot on" with his analysis of the nCode six-one 95...a fantastic racquet if you're a big enough boy to handle it. I've played this stick for 6 months, but may be switching because it's hard for me to get that whippy forehand topspin...if you like a flat ball, there is no substitute. For me, I prefer a more loopy topspin...I can't seem to keep from driving the ball into the tape (when I was lifting weights this summer, I didn't have this problem as often...but I don't really enjoy hitting the weight room).

Unfortunately, I guess I'm coming to grips with the fact that, at age 45, I'm not a big enough boy any more.

bertrevert
01-04-2005, 09:56 PM
(BTW, I have seen many players fail horribly with some of those nCodes - they're tough.)

I thought it had a similar feel to that of the LM Prestige MP, perhaps just a tad stiffer and less wobbly. I felt my shots were more solid with the Rad than with the Prestige and I could serve much better with the Rad than with the Prestige.

These points of difference between the two turn out to be the reasons behind the better performance and handling of the Rad (reasons to like it more).

I thought the Rad with lower static weight would wobble more than the Prestige, but it doesn't, it's stable, so good.

I demoed the Prestige and it is mushy or has long dwell-time (cf. Michael Chaho - http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/MCHAHO01.html), but once it connects those balls do stay hit.

So the Rad will do this too - again good - and also am pleased to hear it's good on serve. Will demo.

Versatility: So you would add lead for the 1H BH. I play doubles and lead on the Rad would affect manouverability. It seems to me to be a frame I wouldn't want to experiment with too much (it has enough going on). But did you add lead during the test?

Just how big is that sweetspot - all the way to the bank?

BreakPoint
01-04-2005, 11:04 PM
No, I did not add any lead during the test. I think for the purposes of the TW playtests, I'm suppose to test all racquets stock. I don't like to play around with lead tape anyway. I'd rather just get a heavier racquet.

The sweetspot on the LM Rad was certainly bigger than that of my PS 6.0 95.

ShooterMcMarco
01-04-2005, 11:09 PM
what was your ncode strung with btw?

BreakPoint
01-04-2005, 11:10 PM
I believe all the playtest racquets from TW are strung with Wilson Sensation 16g at 2lbs above midpoint.

AndrewD
01-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Great reviews BreakPoint but damned if it doesn't make my choice of racquet a little bit harder now. Also handy that your style of play somewhat mirrors my own -down to grip choice as well. Might have to slightly rethink going to the POG now lol

I loved the LM Radical but thought it was way too pricey here in Australia so its great to hear that the nSix-One95 and nSix-One Tour stack up so well against it. Stangely but thankfully, Wilson are the only 'players frames' that are cheaper to buy here than through TW.

When I used the LM Rad I found the control to be excellant, especially when hitting with heavy top. Didnt get a lot of spin but great control and could hit as hard as you liked without it going out. Surprised (happily) that you marked the nSix-One95 as having better control and significantly better slice potential which I felt was lacking in the Rad.

You've pretty much given them the same rating, 80, 81 and 80 respectively, so which of the nSix-One Tour, nSix-One95 and LM Radical would you choose to play with?

BreakPoint
01-05-2005, 01:24 AM
AndrewD,
I'm looking into getting my hands on a lighter Asian version of the nSix-One Tour to try out. I liked the regular nSix-One Tour, except that it was a bit too heavy and I'm concerned it may be too much for me over a long match. I guess I'm just used to the feel of the box beam from having used the PS 6.0 95 for a while.

But I have to say both the nSix-One 95 and the LM Radical MP were both very good as well. The former also being a bit too heavy and the latter being just a tad light. Perhaps I should also try the Asian version of the nSix-One 95? If Head made a LM Radical that was exactly in between the regular LM Rad MP and the LM Rad Tour, that might be more suitable for me. However, even the stock LM Rad MP was an excellent racquet, and I agree, the control was outstanding. The nSix-One 95 only just edged it out due to its "plow-through" factor from its heavy weight which gave it remarkable stability and enhanced its feeling of control.

cello lover
01-05-2005, 02:01 AM
I played the LM radical tour (not anymore), wanting a more control-oriented racquet...

My very short "analysis"

-it's for people with perfect technique
and/or
-for very strong players

If you're not so strong (like me), it's difficult to get any control, my grandmother can beat me if I play with this racquet...

Mies
01-05-2005, 03:34 AM
Breakpoint,

I have played with what you call the "asian" version of the Nsix-one. In Holland they call it the Nsix-one Team. I started to hit with it and quickly put it aside again, because of it's stability (or better said, it's lack thereof). I'm a relatively big server (although literally as well, being almost 2 mtrs :) ), and the frame nearly rattled my teeth out of my mouth upon ball contact on every single serve. When warming up from the baseline against some not-so-hard-hitters it was fine, nice feel and very manouverable, but based upon my serving experience, I think it will fail when the pace of the balls goes up. Again, I have only hit with it for 20 mins or so, but after that awfull serving experience I didn't bother with trying it out at the net anymore, because I knew I'd serve myself an injury if I kept playing with it. Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Gaines Hillix
01-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Gaines,
Yes, I demoed the POG MP a couple of years ago. From what I remember vesus the PS 6.0 95: The POG was better from the baseline in that I could hit the ball harder and it had a more solid feel to groundstrokes. In fact, it felt like I couldn't miss no matter how hard I swung. I could hit laser like groundies with it. However, I found it to be sluggish on serves and on volleys. I think it's balanced more even than the PS 95. Thus, maneuverability definitely suffered. Since serving and volleying is such an important part of my game, I wasn't willing to make the trade-off. I could serve bigger bombs and be quicker at the net with the PS 95. The POG certainly did feel great, though, and I was definitely tempted to switch. Hope this helps.

BreakPoint, that's a good comparison. I agree on the difference in them at net. The POG MP I used had 1.5g of lead at each of 3/9/12. I think it helped on groundies and serves but made it a little more sluggish at net. I'd like to try one in stock form. Thanks again for the feedback.

BreakPoint
01-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I have played with what you call the "asian" version of the Nsix-one. In Holland they call it the Nsix-one Team.
Mies,
Thanks for that feedback. However, was it the nSix-One Tour (90) or the nSix-One 95 that you tried? The Tour has the box-beam (like the PS 6.0) and the 95 has the rounded beam (like the HPS 6.1 or PS 6.1). Thanks.

Mies
01-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention, it was the 95 sq. inch version. As far as I know the lighter version of the 90 sq inch is not available in Holland.

Regards

BreakPoint
01-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention, it was the 95 sq. inch version. As far as I know the lighter version of the 90 sq inch is not available in Holland.

Ah hah!! I thought that might be the case. I guess that's why everyone has been referring to the lighter nSix-One Tour 90 as an "Asian-only" version. The feedback coming back for the An90 has been pretty positive. Sounds like it's more stable than the n95 Team that you tried. I hope that's the case anyway. :D

bertrevert
01-06-2005, 06:57 PM
The great thing about comparative reviews by TW posters is that we get to query the tester - and get further answers. But are such reviews as these then lost? How are they catalogued on the TW site?

BreakPoint
01-06-2005, 09:33 PM
You can just go to the product pages of any of the racquets that were tested and there's a link to the comparative reviews below the racquet specs. Here's an example:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WN6195.html

TW also said they will eventually add a link on the home page that will bring you to a list of all the comparative reviews (like what they have now with the TW internal reviews).

AndrewD
01-07-2005, 05:45 AM
BreakPoint, if you had to recommend one of those frames you tested- nSix-one 95, Head LM Rad MP, 6.0 85, Tour 90, PS 6.0 95- or a POG o/s to a 3.5-4.0 which would it be?

Or, to make it a touch simpler, someone who has similar grips and playing style to the way you described your game,

"All court player playing both singles and doubles, serve and volley 50% of the time. Long, loopy, fast swings on both sides. Can hit flat, topspin, and slice off of both sides, and will mix things up during rallies. One-handed backhand, semi-western forehand Strengths are serve and backhand".

bar a more Agassi style 'punch and whip' forehand, playing at a lower level (3.5-4.0) but wanting to take that next step up the ratings ? Does one fit the bill or is there another you would recommend (excluding Yonex and Volkl as neither 'feel' right to me in the hand)

BreakPoint
01-07-2005, 01:39 PM
AndrewD,
Given what you've said about your playing style and level, I would recommend you try the PS 6.0 95, Head LM Radical MP, Slazenger Pro X-1, and perhaps the POG. It's hard to choose just one because they're all very good racquets. It really just comes down to personal preference which one you would like the best. It could be just one little thing about a frame that you enjoy more than the others that will sway you one way or the other. The feel of a racquet is also a very subjective and personal thing, like you mentioned with Yonex and Volkl racquets.

With all that said, I'm still using my PS 6.0 95 if that tells you anything.....

AndrewD
01-07-2005, 02:34 PM
BreakPoint, Thanks for the suggestions.
Price is a determining factor for me unfortunately. You lucky sods in the States get all the frames at a reasonable price and we usually have to pay some exhorbitant fee due to there being a distributor plus the store's cut LOL. So, the LM Rad is pretty much out, sadly to say. Priced at $300 plus here (same even through TW, plus shipping) it's just a bit too pricey.

Will give the Slazenger a try (well priced here) and the Wilson (best priced players frames available to Australia).

Last question though. Given you use the PS 6.0 95 now at a 4.5 level, what would be the comparable frame for that next level down?

BreakPoint
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM
AndrewD,
Unfortunately, there's not too much out there that's comparable to a PS 6.0 95 IMO, excpet for maybe the PS 6.0 85, but that's for even more advanced players. I think the PS 6.0 95 can be suitable for 4.0 level players as well. The Slazenger X-1 is even more powerful and forgiving so I think even lower level players can successfully use it. With the X-1, you don't always need a long, full stroke, and can get away with a shorter, more compact stroke as the the racquet has enough power to do some of the work for you.