PDA

View Full Version : how to DEAL with the slice serve

lawrence
03-29-2008, 08:20 PM
i regularly play someone who doesnt know how to hit a topspin/kick etc, rarely hits flat.. but naturally only hits slice kind of. its a low percentage shot but all the serves skid really low and its kind of hard to get a solid center hit on it without scratching my racket haha

quicken
03-29-2008, 11:01 PM
I hate those serves as well.
I just slice it back right at the opponent.
Since I can't time thoes slice serves right, there is no merit to try a topspin return.
The thing is though since the ball sinks, you really have to look at the ball.

lolsmash
03-30-2008, 02:18 PM
take it earlier than you usually do. The spin won't have as much effect.

doogoshly
03-30-2008, 04:06 PM
take it early, like a half-volley.

i8myshirt
03-30-2008, 04:35 PM
How about move into the court more. Since it'll skid, you'll be closer and it won't be able to skid away. He doesn't hit any other kind of serve either, so you shouldn't have to worry about them.

Vision84
03-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Chip it back. Also take it early before it drops to much and spins away from you.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-30-2008, 06:19 PM
the ball goes flat with spin

^ ??, Literally impossible, but whatever...

Since it is a slice serve, most likely it will land a little short in the service box and off to the side. This is important on deuce courts (right-handed server), as the ball will break off to the side, and vice versa for leftie servers. What helps is to not stand as far back, especially since your opponent can't hit anything else, and move in at an ANGLE to prevent the full effects of the spin making the ball jump away from you.

From there, you can hit a dropshot DTL, a dropshot angled XC, topspin forehand angled sharply XC. Those are the ways to hit a relative high-percentage offensive shot off a slice serve. If you are going for a safe shot, just chip it back to the middle of the court. Generally, topspin shots will be quite hard to hit.

quicken
03-30-2008, 09:55 PM
I think what he means by "flat w/ spin" is that the ball bounces low.

kabob
03-30-2008, 10:16 PM
You don't necessarily need to slice it chip it back. Just your knees bent like you're waiting for a low volley and you should be able to return with the serve coming into your strike zone.

In D Zone
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
oops... dup posting

In D Zone
03-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Returning a serve - move the leg closes to your racquet towards the direction of ball. ( For right handed) that means moving the right leg. The movement will force your hip and shoulder to turn as a unit towards the ball (just keep your racquet still on your right ready to hit the forehand). DO NOT take a backswing , instead reach over with your racquet to make contact with the ball and then move forward with your LEFT feet. The forward motion with your left feet and the power from the serve will generate the power you need.
For course, you must keep your eyes focus on the ball from the toss to the point when you are making contact with the ball. Your feet / knee will automatically adjust to the height of the ball bounce.

It may take a few try; best to practice the steps without the ball - trust me, this movement works and you can pretty much return any type of serve coming to your forehand.

Yes, slice is also another best weapon to use - especially if you are late with your footwork. Important thing is to get the ball back....