PDA

View Full Version : PD team + dilemna!!!!

RoddickistheMan
03-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Okay im in a little of a dilemna. Im a 4.5 player that likes to hit hard from the baseline. My strongest shot is my forehand which I hit with good topspin. My speed is also good as well and my volleys and touch shots are great. My weaknesses are my serve and my two handed backhand. Recently I picked up a pd team plus. I found it strengthened my forehand, was great for defense due to its light weight and it gave me some much needed pace to my backhand. It also gave me some pace on my serve and increased my first serve percentage in fact so much i structured my game to be a good serve than rip a forehand to end the point. At net the racquet is terrible and it lacks touch. My only real problem with it is comfort. This thing is somewhat painful to play with. I usually feel some nagging pains while playing and a couple of hours after I feel some nagging pains taht go away the next day. I want to play tennis for awhile and feel that this racquet wont be good for me in the long run due to the pains it causes. I was thinking of trying out the pure storm tour for the added stability and flex however I feel it wont match up with my game very well, the normal storm is too head heavy. What should I do?

zidane339
03-30-2008, 01:00 AM
hey i have the same problem with you.used a pdr with cortex..

either change your mechanics that may cause the pains

or keep with it and see if it goes away after you adjust( mine did after couple of weeks)

change to a more comfortable racquet.

Ultra2HolyGrail
03-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Where are the pains? Elbow-shoulder-wrist?

Ross K
03-30-2008, 01:45 AM
There's only 1 way to go with this debate imo and I think you know it. Bottom line has to be to keep well and fit. You might well have to make the decision to switch from the brand. I did (for the kind of performance reasons you outlined.) Say 'addios Babs!'

Masterblaster
03-30-2008, 03:05 AM
i play with a PDC recently changing from a ncode 6.1 team. I had the same problem as you, receiving a lot of pain in my elbow and shoulder especially on serves. It came to the point where i was getting concerned about my joints every time i served, and was thinking i made a bad decision in purchasing a PDC.

I came to the conclusion that my stroke mechanics were not efficient and had flaws. Since i enjoyed the PDC when serving and the effortless depth i found on groundstrokes, i improved (or at least think i've improved seeing I anyone coaching me) my mechanics. I think it has been for the better as now I receive absolutely no pain after games and friends have commented that my skills have improved greatly.

I also believe my use of a dynaflex gyroball has slightly helped strengthen my elbow joint. If you are willing to pay a pretty unreasonable price for one i suggest giving them a go

master_stringer_mitchy
03-30-2008, 05:23 AM
you might just be struggling as its a longer racket and it takes time to adjust. ive played with both the pure drive and the new cortex one and the old one is better. where are you getting pains? what is it strung with? if your finding the normal storm to head heavy, add 12g of lead under the grip, will make the balance alot better. i found the storm tour to be alot more stabile that the normal one

Micky
03-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Okay im in a little of a dilemna. Im a 4.5 player that likes to hit hard from the baseline. My strongest shot is my forehand which I hit with good topspin. My speed is also good as well and my volleys and touch shots are great. My weaknesses are my serve and my two handed backhand. Recently I picked up a pd team plus. I found it strengthened my forehand, was great for defense due to its light weight and it gave me some much needed pace to my backhand. It also gave me some pace on my serve and increased my first serve percentage in fact so much i structured my game to be a good serve than rip a forehand to end the point. At net the racquet is terrible and it lacks touch. My only real problem with it is comfort. This thing is somewhat painful to play with. I usually feel some nagging pains while playing and a couple of hours after I feel some nagging pains taht go away the next day. I want to play tennis for awhile and feel that this racquet wont be good for me in the long run due to the pains it causes. I was thinking of trying out the pure storm tour for the added stability and flex however I feel it wont match up with my game very well, the normal storm is too head heavy. What should I do?

Hola Roddick,

What strings are you using?

Micky
03-30-2008, 08:23 AM
There's only 1 way to go with this debate imo and I think you know it. Bottom line has to be to keep well and fit. You might well have to make the decision to switch from the brand. I did (for the kind of performance reasons you outlined.) Say 'addios Babs!'

Hola Commander Ross,

"addios Babs" ???? jejeje....

RoddickistheMan
03-30-2008, 08:23 AM
its like warning pains, I get pain like in the TE area only temporary. I dont want to develop TE so these little temporary TE pains are of concern. Also during play I get sharp upper wrist pain during some shanks and off center shots. I string it with full pro hurricane tour at 57. WHen I had it strung with multi I still got the upper wrist pains during play but not really the TE scares, could I try lead modifications. Im really thinking about giving the storm tour a try, but do you think it will not suit a big serve big forehand game. Seems to me to be an all court racquet. couldn't I jsut string it really low to get that extra power i lost.

LanEvo
03-30-2008, 09:13 AM
dude full pht only makes it worse thats a poly and its not like a soft multi, so just try some softer strings then see how it goes

saram
03-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I had to get rid of my PD's due to pain and lack of touch at the net. to get touch, I had to string it at around 70 and that was murder on the arm/shoulder. There is no happy medium with the PD line. I did find happiness and success though, with the first few PC's that came out...

ChocolatePie
03-30-2008, 11:20 AM
I use the same racket and all my strokes are equivalent to yours except I can volley fine with this racket and I have no pains whatsoever. I use full Luxilon ALU Power at 52 lbs.

I'm 15 so that might contribute to why I haven't had any pains because my arms are still strong.

You will want to switch strings though. Strings matter just as much as the racket. A synthetic gut and a polyester have wonders in different feels.

DashaandSafin
03-30-2008, 01:07 PM
I use it and have no problems at all. I have a PDR. People complaining about pain should either correct thier stroke mechanics or just switch racquets, there really is no "magic fix". Pros hit with Pure Drive all the time and they're fine...

Bubba
03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
hey i have the same problem with you.used a pdr with cortex..

either change your mechanics that may cause the pains

or keep with it and see if it goes away after you adjust( mine did after couple of weeks)

change to a more comfortable racquet.

All - the PD's, and especially the PDR are high on the RA Stiffness scale. In fact, the PDR is 72. First thing to try is either a poly/synthetic hybrid, full synthetic (e.g. X-1 or NXT Tour), or go all gut. You can try lower tensions, but you may lose a bit of control.

If that don't work... look for a stick with a bit more flex.