PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Pete , Yes?

downey stringing master
03-30-2008, 05:51 AM
ok sampras. i have scrambled around douzens of threads..

but
a simple question please , is he returning the tour.. singles.. doubles.. if so when ?

thanks.

hewittfan3
03-30-2008, 05:51 AM
no he is not

Brendan
03-30-2008, 06:07 AM
nope.......

jmsx521
03-30-2008, 07:11 AM
I'll probably get bashed for this... but I say -- why not -- he should get a WC for Queen's and Wimbledon! Playing on grass would be even easier for him to hold his serve. Volleys and ground-strokes need some practice... and as for the movement -- I don't know, we'll see: It might not be that significant and weak.

hewittfan3
03-30-2008, 07:16 AM
idk if he necessarily should get a WC into those tourneys but he probably would...and as much as he should or would get one he is not coming back...even though hes my fav. player of all time i cant stand watching him anymore...especially against federer at the Garden...that was ugly

PROTENNIS63
03-30-2008, 07:18 AM
I'll probably get bashed for this... but I say -- why not -- he should get a WC for Queen's and Wimbledon! Playing on grass would be even easier for him to hold his serve. Volleys and ground-strokes need some practice... and as for the movement -- I don't know, we'll see: It might not be that significant and weak.

grass these days is slower than most of the hard courts. He has no chance in Wimbledon. Rafa would probably beat him.

Vision84
03-30-2008, 07:37 AM
grass these days is slower than most of the hard courts. He has no chance in Wimbledon. Rafa would probably beat him.

I agree with your point but Rafa is one of the top Wimbledon players and it just helps confirm how much Wimbledon is not grass anymore. Rafa got to 2 finals in a row and pushed Federer to 4 and 5 sets.

All Sampras would have is his serve if he came back to the tour. He is a few steps slower than what he was and his groundstrokes would need a lot of honing in in order to be at a level where he could compete with the top players. ith a lot of practice I still don't think he could compete with the top again. The exhibition matches were not a total blow out cause Federer was ensuring he would keep the score close so it would be exciting. I watched part of the one in madison square garden and Federer would have spells with 3 or 4 aces in a row and an easy break to love and then lose games. Obviously rigged.

joeri888
03-30-2008, 07:47 AM
If he would,m he could be maybe top 100 again, but never in top 20 again, he's too old for that, and I don't see it making him any more legendary than he already is.. So I think he has more fun playing exhibition's, veterans tourneys and be at home, than travel the world at his age, not having the glamour of winning tourneys like he used to.

NLBwell
03-30-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm still hoping for Sampras and McEnroe to play doubles in an ATP tournament somewhere. He may not be as good a doubles player as Bjorkman, but with that serve and volley they should be able to win some matches.

downey stringing master
03-31-2008, 03:41 PM
random but was watching miami and magnus norman still plays atp ?

miniRafa386
03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
personally, i think the world is tired of watching sampras play tennis...

quest01
03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
It would be nice to see Sampras make a run at Wimbledon this year but he has already ruled this out many times and I highly doubt he would change his mind. I could see Sampras making it to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon this year but winning the tournament is unlikely.

saram
03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
It would be nice to see Sampras make a run at Wimbledon this year but he has already ruled this out many times and I highly doubt he would change his mind. I could see Sampras making it to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon this year but winning the tournament is unlikely.

Just the QF's? Anyone facing Pete at Wimby loses a set automatically in the 'awe factor' of facing Pete in his back yard. :twisted: