PDA

View Full Version : K-Blade 98 customizing

Roberto
03-30-2008, 07:51 AM
I demoed the KBlade 98 and I liked it a lot. It did not feel as light as I expected. The only problem was that I thought it felt a little unstable when returning heavy serves (maby because of the light weight ?).
Have any of you tried to customize it. How can I add 15 gr of weight without damaging it's feel and without making it more head heavy ? Anyone tried customizing the KBlade ? Thankful for some advice.

Jonny S&V
03-30-2008, 08:11 AM
You have many options, and all of them involve increasing the swing-weight but you can make it even more head-light if you want to:

1. Just add a leather grip, this adds about 7-8 grams to the overall mass.

2. You can put the 15g on the handle and then put your replacement grip over that.

3. Put the 15g in the butt cap.

4. Put 7.5g in the head and 7.5g in the handle, so you keep the same balance but the s/w will go up, which means more stability.

One thing of note: To get the true effects of a more stable racquets, you would have to add weight to the head one way or another, so #4 is really your best option.

master_stringer_mitchy
03-30-2008, 08:19 AM
i would put 4 grams at each 3 and 9 and 12 under the grip, you will get abit more stability and a more solid feel. you may need to try different ways to achieve what you want, or, demo the tour version, from what ive heard that has a very stabile feel, just if you want to go to a 93"

Roberto
03-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Thank's for the advice. I demoed the KBlade tour and it felt stable but I think I need more than 93. I thought that 98 blade had so much more power. Something in between would be perfect (maby KPro tour - cannot find a demo anywhere).
One stupid question : Where do you put the lead tape on the head? Do you always have to put it inside the frame and have your racquet restrung ? Will it fall of if put on the outside ? ( new to customzing racquets )

satchman
04-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Wow, thanks guys for the tip on how to add a little weight to the handle (never thought of placing it under the overgrip)!

I just got the KBlade 98 and found it to be a tad light. Being a 5ft-7 Asian dude, I can't carry the 15g extra weight like you US guys so I've merely added a modest 1 g to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and a further 2g under the overgrip.

Plays much better now - more stability and less jarring on miss-hits. I'm also timing the ball better now because of the slight increase in swingweight.

I love the racquet!!! :)

Petekbladetour1
04-01-2008, 01:36 AM
I demoed the KBlade 98 and I liked it a lot. It did not feel as light as I expected. The only problem was that I thought it felt a little unstable when returning heavy serves (maby because of the light weight ?).
Have any of you tried to customize it. How can I add 15 gr of weight without damaging it's feel and without making it more head heavy ? Anyone tried customizing the KBlade ? Thankful for some advice.

You should try the kblade tour 93. It weighs 324g

Jonny S&V
04-01-2008, 05:53 AM
You should try the kblade tour 93. It weighs 324g

Umm, I think this explains why he isn't going to use the 93...

Thank's for the advice. I demoed the KBlade tour and it felt stable but I think I need more than 93. I thought that 98 blade had so much more power. Something in between would be perfect (maby KPro tour - cannot find a demo anywhere).
One stupid question : Where do you put the lead tape on the head? Do you always have to put it inside the frame and have your racquet restrung ? Will it fall of if put on the outside ? ( new to customzing racquets )

joeellis
04-16-2008, 11:23 AM

You can find strips narrow enough to place inside of the head on either side of the strings. This way you don't have to restring.

Also, if you like the feel of the KBlade Tour, there is only a 5 sq. inch difference in head size. This is really not a lot of area. I have a KBlade Tour, amd I have found that is pretty forgiving for a mid racquet. You can also string with less tension to achieve more power and that should also add some control as well.

KOtennis
04-17-2008, 09:57 PM
satchman,

i pretty much did the same thing you did, but added more lead tape on the throat (inside, both sides)
my kblade 98 is now around 11.75 oz.