PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Warm-ups?

Tennisplayer92
03-30-2008, 09:06 AM
hey guys, ive come to realize that warm-ups will help. people say meh they dont do much but for me, they do wonders. could anyone post their routine to warm up forehands backhands and serves? and the amount of effort you put in it. im experimenting with easy warm ups and increasing pace from there. anyone know another way? pounding the ball at first is not an option.

Shashwat
03-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Just stay relaxed and keep a rally going. Start out with 20 balls without messing up and a pace you can hit 20 balls. Start increasing that with more pace as you get better.

And light footwork also.

Noisy Ninja
03-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I have a set warm-up routine with my regular playing partner(s) before important matches/tournaments.
We typically start out with each person standing halfway inside service box and hit volleys back and forth to each other for 5 minutes. Aim is to keep volley exchange going as opposed to trying to pass each other; this initial warm up is designed to get one's hand-eye coordination up to speed.
We then progress to mini-tennis groundstrokes for 5 minutes. Each person moves a bit behind the service line and concentrate on taking quick small steps (footwork) and maintain proper stroke production to produce a high arching ball that will comfortably clear the net and land within service box. Aim of this warmup is to feel (brush) the ball (as opposed to hitting flat) and keep the mini-tennis exchange going.
Next, each person progress to baseline and hit groundstrokes @ 75 % for 10 minutes. Idea is to maintain depth on groundstrokes while hitting forehand to forehand, later backhand to backhand, and finally dtl on both wings.
Another 5 minutes are spent with one person up at the net and the opposing player at the baseline; goal is to keep net-baseline exchange going. Person at net then spends ~ 5 minutes hitting overheads. Switch positions to allow other person (formerly at baseline) volleying & overhead practice.
Finally, we move towards serve/return of serve practice with the remainder of allotted time. Start out serving at 75% speed and concentrate on maintaining a relaxed motion, rhythm, and placement; aim of returner of serve is to maintain depth and placement on returns. Server should alternate between first and second serves to simulate match situation. Again, switch roles to allow both persons sufficient time to warm up their serves and serve returns.

Zachol82
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
I start my warmup by warming up the muscles in my eyes. I bounce the ball on the ground with my racquet and try to track it with my eyes. Then I throw the ball up and try to catch it with my racquet without the ball bouncing a couple of times on the stringbed. This helps me judge how fast the ball is going.

I then rally afterward focusing on my forms and techniques. Then I take some serves and volleys.

Moz
03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
All these warm-ups involve playing tennis.

You should ideally warm-up without your racquet first.

Slow jog, side steps, cross overs, high knees, butt kicks, walking lunges, skipping etc...

Then you might want to pick up your racquet and do the above.

Mountain Ghost
03-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Before you step onto the court:

http://www.mountainghosttennis.com/tenniswarmups.html

MG

Noisy Ninja
03-30-2008, 11:30 AM
All these warm-ups involve playing tennis.

You should ideally warm-up without your racquet first.

Slow jog, side steps, cross overs, high knees, butt kicks, walking lunges, skipping etc...

Then you might want to pick up your racquet and do the above.

All good no doubt...but if you read the OP...he's specifically asking "could anyone post their routine to warm up forehands backhands and serves..."

Moz
03-30-2008, 12:12 PM
All good no doubt...but if you read the OP...he's specifically asking "could anyone post their routine to warm up forehands backhands and serves..."

Understood - if I am to warm up my groundstrokes and serves this is how I would start.

Noisy Ninja
03-30-2008, 12:23 PM
No harm, no foul.
I very well may have interpreted the OP incorrectly. Doesn't matter really...a lot of good advice for the OP to digest. Cheers.

Moz
03-30-2008, 12:27 PM
To be fair it could just be old age on my part.

I never used to warm up at all when I was young!

Bagumbawalla
03-30-2008, 12:39 PM
My warm-up generally start at the wall.

Before even hitting te wall, I do a few jumprop routines/patterns to loosen up, work on balance and co-ordination.

Then I practice volleys and half-volleys. I put tape "targets" on the wall and hit at the targets in rotation.

Then I do the same kind of thing with the forehand and backhand. I have the tape targets at different heights and, at a medium pace, hit each one in turn, practicing different degrees of topspin.

Then, still at the wall, I practice overheads.

Then I take a bucket of balls to the court and practice serves- still at a fairly medium pace- working up to a normal serve speed.

I start with fairly flat serves, because the motion is the most simple, then practice various spin serves. I alternate serves wide and down the middle. When the balls are all on the other side, I pick them up and hit them in the opposite direction and to the other service court.

By that time my practice partner arrives and we rally and practice some drills, which might include serving/volleying drills, down-the-line and crosscourt drives and "inside-out" shots, volley practice and lobs/smashes.

Then the other team shows up (if we are playing doubles) and we briefly "warm up" and play a few sets. Or, if the courts are not in great demand, we just play some singles.