PDA

View Full Version : O, boy. Prince SP Red, Black, Tour

DJG
03-30-2008, 10:21 AM
I have a small issue with demoing, mostly because of my location and the stores around here not able to offer any demo models. (Heck, I have enough trouble finding sticks with my correct gripsize.)

Over the weekend, I have played with a SP Red and was blown away. Almost perfect, although the granny-size 105 in sq just doesn't sit too well with me. (since when is 105 a MP anyway?) I could swing away with the Red and really, really liked it, but call it years of indoctrination from my previous coaches and myself and 100 sq in is the max I would play with. So that leaves the Black and Tour. (Luckily they are both available over here since about 2 weeks ago)

I'm not sure what NTRP level I am (Some practice over here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7SBAviezsI), but I'm an all-court player. Love the net, do S&V every now and again. I can grind from the baseline, but do look for opportunities to come in and dominate at the net. Will also stay back and grind if my net game is off or strategy dictates.

I have a couple of Vantage VT221's (lovely solid stick) and a couple of Pure Drive Teams - I love the power on the latter. So why another stick and a Prince? Well, long story - I've just always loved Prince and have very fond memories of my earlier sticks - I would love to swap to modern versions of these.

So with that long story - any ideas in helping me choose blindly among the Black and Tour would be appreciated :) Solid feel, all-court play, power/control in the PD range.

Petekbladetour1
03-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I have been using the Speedport black for a while and i have figured that the speedport black is a serve and volley stick. It has got a lot of power, and is 100sq in. But the grounstrokes are not that good, it has got little feel and decent control. If you are a S&V then it is a great racket.
Hope this helps
http://www.*************.com/images/Racquet-New/PRI_RTA_03Black-6.jpg

Petekbladetour1
03-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Sorry the image did not work :(

rabidcow
03-30-2008, 04:13 PM
What's wrong with your current racket??

DJG
03-31-2008, 01:30 AM
Nothing is wrong with my current setups. As I said above though, I've always had a soft spot for Prince (from my junior days) and want to add one to the bunch. And since I earn my own money, I can spoil myself :)

If I really had to nit-pick on my current frames: the PD i a bit hard on my 35-year-old arm. I developed a case of wrist/golfers-elbow recently (computer miss-use) and if sticks need to go, it will be the PD bundle.