PDA

View Full Version : nSix-One Tour 90

mraznman
03-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Ok...

I've been using my n90 for about a week now.
I got it strung with Prince Original Syn. Gut 17G @ 47lbs., and added TournaCross string savers on the sweetspot.

Question is:
Why does the strings feel like the tension is over 60? Is it because of the frame stiffness? or did the stringer string it wrong? Cuz I checked with the stringer the day I strung the racket, and they told me it was at 47. So yea. Can anyone help?

Lendl and Federer Fan
03-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Who strung the racquet for you, Racket Doctor?

mraznman
03-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Who strung the racquet for you, Racket Doctor?

Duddee... wtf? r u stalking me? seriously how the hell did u know?

and yea dey did.

lilxjohnyy
03-30-2008, 12:03 PM
probably cuz u live in Los Angeles ..... i think

Noisy Ninja
03-30-2008, 12:29 PM
How many string savers did you install? I'm thinking that's the cause of the perceived higher tension.

mraznman
03-30-2008, 01:19 PM
How many string savers did you install? I'm thinking that's the cause of the perceived higher tension.

total of 86. their all in the sweetspot. yulitle's video said like half set of the string savers increases tension by 3 or so so yea.

Noisy Ninja
03-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Go easy on the stringsavers. You probably shouldn't add in too many initially. Rather...add 'em in later after the racquet has undergone some hitting time and install 'em at places on the stringbed where you notice excessive string movement; excessive string movement usually coincides with tension loss...so adding stringsavers at that point helps maintain your target tension somewhat.

NicolasH
03-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Why are you adding 86 string savers?

If you're concerned about durability play a thicker string.

With 86 string savers you're losing the benefit of the 17 gauge string anyway.

Historically people used string savers with natural gut strings. With natural gut you can actually see where the string is about the break. You put the string savers where the string has a 'fizzle'.

I guess you can estimate where a synthetic gut will break and put some string savers in. One way to see how much life a synthetic gut has left is to move the cross strings up or down (a couple of strings above the sweetspot) and you can see how deep the indentation in the main string is. You basically move the cross string out of its 'groove' to check the mains. If you're racket is strung with the same string in the mains and crosses (and you don't have any broken grommets) the main string will always break first.

Cheers,
n.

NicolasH
03-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Why are you adding 86 string savers?

If you're concerned about durability play a thicker string.

With 86 string savers you're losing the benefit of the 17 gauge string anyway.

Historically people used string savers with natural gut strings. With natural gut you can actually see where the string is about the break. You put the string savers where the string has a 'fizzle'.

I guess you can estimate where a synthetic gut will break and put some string savers in. One way to see how much life a synthetic gut has left is to move the cross strings up or down (a couple of strings above the sweetspot) and you can see how deep the indentation in the main string is. You basically move the cross string out of its 'groove' to check the mains. If your racket is strung with the same string in the mains and crosses (and you don't have any broken grommets) the main string will always break first.

Cheers,
n.

Nexus
03-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I play my ntour 90's with polyester strings in the upper 50's range. When I'm low on cash I head back to the synthetic gut strings. The only time mine ever feel like the string bed doesn't have any give is when my poly's are above 57 lbs. The only time mine have ever felt really intolerably stiff is when I had kevlar mains. That was a mistake.

What racket did you use before? Was the stiffness different? Were you playing with multifilament string before? Your style of play or rating? Add or lose a dampener? It's all personal preference though. I honestly don't know. Maybe it was just strung at a tension you didn't specify. The only Prince string I've ever hit has been their Tour 16, which is a pretty good string. Oh, and all those string savers might have something to do with it. What about lead tape? You hitting the sweetspot, or somewhere off-center in a dead spot?

kabob
03-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Any decent hybrid setup, your strings won't move.

<-- former n90 user with Babo x-cel 17G crosses and Gosen sheep micro 16G mains.