PDA

View Full Version : Grip sizing.

In)SpiRe
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
If you were to get a racquet, lets say a few in 4 1/4 grip and a few in 4 3/8, do you think there will be a big marginal difference between weight, balance, the feeling when you hold the racquet if you customize the grips to be the same size?

In)SpiRe
03-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Anyone????

NicolasH
03-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Depends on what the grip mold is made of. Manufacturers use different technique/materials to arrive at a certain grip size.

In terms of feel: I personally think there's a big difference between sizes. I don't think there's a right or wrong size, just whatever works best for you.
That's why all my rackets have the same grip size etc.

As a general rule (and this is very general) a bigger grip will give you a more stable wrist while a smaller grip while enable you to use your wrist more. You can test this theory by rotating your wrist: If you make a fist you can move your wrist quicker than when you open your hand.
Again, this is a very general, there are many players who have 'wristy' strokes and have a grip that on the larger end of the spectrum.

Apart from the size, I think the mold is very important too. Again, there are no right or wrong molds, just whatever fits you. Some molds can actually help you hit certain shots, at least some players swear that a certain mold allows them to hit a 'better forehand or serve etc' than another mold. I guess if you believe in something it makes you a better player so you can use that to your advantage.

Cheers,
n.