PDA

View Full Version : Yonex MP Tour 5:

ferrari_827
01-04-2005, 12:53 PM
I noticed this racket is 27.5" and this sparked my interest because I like long Yonex frames. Looking at the specs, the only thing that looked off was the low strung weight of 11.2oz and 10 points headlight.

But knowing Yonex and the grip sizes, if I order my usual 4 5/8" it'll probably weigh at least 11.7oz with overgrip, dampener, and head tape. Then I can add about 0.2oz (5-6 inches of lead tape) to bring the racket to around 12oz.
The thing with long rackets is that you don't want too much static weight otherwise the swingweight becomes too high so 11.8-11.9oz may be just right.

monologuist
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
as I have posted in the past, I have weighed several of these sticks, and they do range from about 11.3-11.7 oz. strung. I have not noticed a correlation between grip size and weight as others have claimed yonex have; I have 2 of the same grip size that weigh on the bottom and top of that range. However, you might be able to get them to weigh it beforehand. I actually brought a little scale to the local store before picking out mine.

that said, I would strongly recommend adding lead to the head; with lead, it is one of the finest racquets I've had tthe pleasure to hit with, but without it, it will feel a little flimsy to those used to player's racquets. It really feels like it was made to be leaded up though, you will see what I mean when you do so with yours. I tried 3 g. @ 3 and 9, plus 6g. in the handle at first and that worked well, but if you strike the ball in the upper hoop on your backhands as I find I often do, you might try the same amount @ 2 and 10 or so, sweetening up that area; this will also give you a higher swingweight and more power overall, which I found to suit the racquet very well. If you get one that starts off at the light end of the range (11.3 oz), after lead, it will be up around 11.8, almost 12.0 if you use overgrip and dampener. But at 10 pts. headlight, and an extremely thin-beamed, aerodynamic shape, it most likely will not be a problem to swing. If you can handle the weight (I can't yet but am doing weight training), I would think that this racquet would play best with 3g. of lead @ 3 and 9, another 3g. @ 2 and 10 (or 10:30/1:30), and 12 g. or so in the handle to counterbalance. In this case, you may wanna think about getting one that is as light as possible to start as a base, so you are not too heavy after the mods.

Highly recommend the MP Tour-5 plus lead. It's got great flex without feeling mushy, has a comfortable dampened ride (you may not need dampener), has a very thin beam (thinner than all the current rdx series) for great feel, and due to its extended length, exerts insane amounts of pace and spin on serves. I came from playing standard length sticks, and I haven't once felt like this racquet felt clumsy.

proracketeer
01-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Leather Grip as counter balance ?
(Leather is heavier than the supplied synthetic grip)

backcourt
01-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Ferrari or anyone else whose interested, I have a 4 5/8 Tour 5 in at least 8/10 shape strung with sensation that I would like to trade for an rd ti 80, or rxd in similar condition 5/8, or would consider 1/2. If interested, please e-mail me at skiten44@yahoo.com.

ferrari_827
01-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Backcourt, I have a Ti-80 but the handle is very customized with the buttcap removed, and I'm sure many would find this objectionable. I even removed the buttcap on my RDX. I like a more gradual taper towards the handle than traditional buttcaps, but for many, it would feel too flat and lacking support.

backcourt
01-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Ferrari, how difficult would it be to replace the but cap? I see that TW has them for sale.

ferrari_827
01-07-2005, 07:51 AM
I don't know. I also recontoured the handle with sandpaper (!) . Have you played with the Ti-80 ? You should playtest it because it has a tinny, metallic, hollow feel to it that I definitely did not like.

backcourt
01-07-2005, 08:16 AM
I haven't played with it, but have picked one up and really like the head light feel. I am a big Yonex fan but not $175 worth for a new rdx. Pretty happy with my MP 3i and bought the Tour 5 as a backup, but although I like it, have decided I dont like the xtra length and also found another backup MP 3i in the meantime. So figure if I can trade the Tour 5 for another Yonex I may like better, why not? Sounds like your ti 80 is a bit too funkified to trade for though.

ferrari_827
01-07-2005, 08:36 AM
If you can wait six months, or maybe less, the price on RDXs will inevitably go down. I predict it will drop to 140-150. In spite of all these reviews and mania (!), always demo the rackets because you never know.

PS I bought the RDXmid this time without even a demo so I took a risk, but normally I always demo no matter how confident I am.

Mulligan
01-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Mono...I added some lead at 10 and 2 to my MP 5 and it sure played with a more solid feel. Still very maneuverable (quite headlight) but had good stability and pop. I've tried the RDX's (and liked the mid), but the MP Tour 5 is a real winner. I have a 2H backhand and sometimes need help with spin. the MP 5 (with a little lead) is a great weapon. I would strongly recommend any of you that have hit with this frame to try adding a bit of weight in the upper hoop. It really helps!

ej
01-07-2005, 07:45 PM
I demoed this today and loved it. Reminded me a PS 6.0 95 -- insanely head light, incredible head speed, making topspin and control almost too easy. Unmistakeable Cozy flexy Yonexy feel with that magic potion of high dwell time/ball gripping euphoria. But, as mentioned, very anemic upper hoop without lead. Loads of control, but it did feel light and uneven when I was pressured and made a poor swing, i.e., poor mechanics are not rewarded with this frame, go figure. I was able to punish serves: power and spin are blended perfectly in this frame, the headspeed is unreal, i.e., the racquet's head accelerates with a nice combination of smooth quickness on serves and grounstrokes. Moreover, it didn't feel like some dense-pattern racquets that have (for me) unpredictable depth-&-trajectory responses on topspin; I never had to guess or plan where the ball would go. Even when I hit the ball too high in the string-bed, the stringbed felt very controlled and predictable (just not sweet).

My two handed backhand fell in love with this racquet, i.e., felt like I had the directional control of a laser.

There was definitely some vibration on off-center reaction volleys, but that was my fault more than the racquet. Age has slowed me down. At best, it felt like the RD7 did when I was in my late twenties -- a surreal combination of comfort, control and spin (though lacking the insane RD7 brick-wall plow-through feeling).

I doubt I could use my string set-up in this racquet. I'm guessing kevlar wouldn't work; it requires a comfy multi with proportional stringing to save the off-center. I had the same feeling about the MP Tour 90: would have been great if it had a more even response and was tad heavier, but I still felt like it was a great stick.

Final thoughts: it has that classic, addictive yonex feel. I'm a sucker for it. I think, pre-lead, it would be nice on a slower high bouncing surface like clay, but against big bombers on hard courts, I would need some lead or cleaner strokes. Ultimately, I think it would end-up in my closet right next to my PS 6.0 95...where the racquet's specs make it absolutely perfect and completely flawed at the same time. Regardless, I think it's a great frame . . . but I never met a yonex I didn't like.