PDA

View Full Version : How should I prepare metally for my match?

Bundey
03-30-2008, 11:09 AM
My HS team has an upcoming match this Tuesday. I'd say I am a 4.0 player, and I'm playing #2 for my HS. I am a sophmore, and last year I barely missed the top six at number seven. That means that besides regionals, when our 5th player was out, this is my first match. It will be our first match of the season, so of course I have some nerves, even though it is against a team that we should beat 9-0. So my question is, what should I do to loosen the nerves, and prepare for the match.

Thanks, Bundey.

i8myshirt
03-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Well, since it's a high school team match, remember that it doesn't really count. There is no money involved, no ranking, pretty much nothing. So go out there wanting to have fun instead of winning.

Bagumbawalla
03-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Imagine that you are confident, imagine that you are going to win, preview the shots in your mind that are going to be winners for you, imagine that they are all going in. imagine that you can see the ball so intently that you can freeze it in mid air-- then go out there and do all those things for real.

Mountain Ghost
03-30-2008, 12:01 PM
As you think of . . . “WHATEVER” . . . keep half of your attention on making sure your breathing is full and steady, and your body is relaxed. In reality, the match you’re about to play is still in the future, where as your breath and your body are right HERE . . . right NOW.

If you don’t practice being “in the moment” before the match, there’s less chance you’ll be “in the moment” during the match.

MG