PDA

View Full Version : Unnatural Forehand.

Babb
03-30-2008, 04:13 PM
My forehand is my weaker side, and my backhand just came pretty naturally. But what's weird is that FHs feel so strange and foreign to me. Like throwing a ball left handed. I mean, it's not bad like throwing a ball left handed, but is just weird feeling like that. But yet backhands make me feel right at home. Is anyone like this?

Rickson
03-30-2008, 04:19 PM
My forehand is my weaker side, and my backhand just came pretty naturally. But what's weird is that FHs feel so strange and foreign to me. Like throwing a ball left handed. I mean, it's not bad like throwing a ball left handed, but is just weird feeling like that. But yet backhands make me feel right at home. Is anyone like this?

Only when I play lefty. I actually run around my forehand to hit a backhand when I play lefty. I do the exact opposite when I play righty.

Babb
03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Exactly. I'm backwards. The drawback is that it is much harder to run around a forehand than to run around a backhand. Especially for two handers like me. But the good thing is that people almost always hit approach shots to my BH and I either rip a cross court pass or a down the line and watch their jaws drop open. However, it's very hard to attack without a good forehand.

Babb
03-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh-- and for an example, I would rate my BH a 4.5 and my forehand a 3.5 (maybe even 3.0 on a bad day!) on NTRP-style rating, if that makes sense.

Rickson
03-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh-- and for an example, I would rate my BH a 4.5 and my forehand a 3.5 (maybe even 3.0 on a bad day!) on NTRP-style rating, if that makes sense.

Just practice your forehand, that's all. If I really wanted a good lefty forehand, I'd have one by now, but I only play lefty when I horse around so I don't bother.

Babb
03-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah. I feel like my technique on my FH has degraded since I stopped taking lessons because of school tennis. However, I just scheduled a lesson for Wednesday, so hopefully my FH rehabilitation will go well :D

Vision84
03-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Well the 2-handed backhand is biomechanically more correct which may be why it feels more natural to you. The best way to get comfortable is just lots of practice with it to hone down the muscle memory. of course this needs to be with correct technique.

boojay
03-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I've actually had the same problem until recently. I would consider my forehand to have more variable movement than my backhand (i.e. more complicated) and my backhand to be a simpler shot, mechanically. For this reason, there was less that could go wrong on my backhand side and I was producing a more consistent swing. Lately, however, I've been able to simplify my forehand to match my backhand, and as a result, have been able to find consistency.

I'm not sure what your forehand looks like, but pay close attention to your backhand and take from it the elements that allow you to be so consistent and apply it to your forehand. For me, it was a matter of making things simpler. Video recording yourself and watching your technique will do wonders.

ohhgourami
03-30-2008, 10:40 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT!

you have a 2h fh? if so, that feels freakin weird for me too. i feel right at home for any almost style. i hit 2h bh but i feel perfectly comfortable hitting it 1h too.

try to bust a santoro with the 2h fh slice ahahhaha. i tried learning it but my timing is really off.

DJG
03-31-2008, 12:33 AM
O, yes, I can relate. The FH is my most un-natural stroke. BH (1HBH) just feels so right.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 03:12 AM
I've actually had the same problem until recently.

It's always about you, Boolio. Jeez!

boojay
03-31-2008, 08:43 AM
It's always about you, Boolio. Jeez!

And why shouldn't it be!?!?

Babb
03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT!

you have a 2h fh? if so, that feels freakin weird for me too. i feel right at home for any almost style. i hit 2h bh but i feel perfectly comfortable hitting it 1h too.

try to bust a santoro with the 2h fh slice ahahhaha. i tried learning it but my timing is really off.
No... it's a one hander... I think I mislead you when I said something about it's hard to run around a FH when you have a 2h... and I meant 2hbh, not 2hfh. Sorry for the miscommunication :)