PDA

View Full Version : How do you exactly hit the Topspin-slice serve? thanks

Kratos
03-30-2008, 06:18 PM
please help people, i'm having alot of trouble understanding how exactly it is that you hit this serve, much more even doing it, so could someone please explain it to me, also the differences of this one from a twist serve, please help! kratos

Vision84
03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
For a twist serve do a search as it has been explained many times. My second serve is a top-spin slice. To hit it just brush up the back and the side of the ball. For righty's this will make the ball jump upwards to the left.

Rickson
03-30-2008, 07:05 PM
How do you exactly hit the Topspin-slice serve?
Easy, you don't because it doesn't exist. You said it's different from a twist serve, but that's the closest thing to what you're describing. You have a topspin serve, a slice serve, and a kick serve which can also be called a twist serve. A topspin-slice serve is a kick serve, but if you're looking for something different, it doesn't exist.

Kratos
03-30-2008, 07:56 PM
For a twist serve do a search as it has been explained many times. My second serve is a top-spin slice. To hit it just brush up the back and the side of the ball. For righty's this will make the ball jump upwards to the left.

but how exactly do i do this "brushing up the back and the side of the ball"? Where's the toss?

Easy, you don't because it doesn't exist. You said it's different from a twist serve, but that's the closest thing to what you're describing. You have a topspin serve, a slice serve, and a kick serve which can also be called a twist serve. A topspin-slice serve is a kick serve, but if you're looking for something different, it doesn't exist.

Well, i know all there is to know about all the other serves, specially the twist/kick serve, except this blasted topspin-slice one. I don't get how it can be hit almost like a twist serve, and still curve to the left and continue to bounce left like a slice then, what i wanted to know is that if for this serve you hit it just like a twist serve, except only that you throw the ball in front of you at a 45 degree angle or where exactly do you throw it?

GPB
03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Gee... I understand the flat, slice, and topspin serves... what is the twist serve that I see floating all around this place?

Vision84
03-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Topspin slice is the easiest serve for me to hit. I find it a lot easier than hitting a slice. The ball should be to your right but not as far as a regular slice and a little in front of your head or right above it. Experiment with it. Your racket should carve the side of the ball while coming up on it at the same time. On a clock face you would be hitting around the 1 or the 2.

And with names, it doesn't matter to me what it is called, especially when the person knows what you mean. It makes things overly complicated at times.

Kratos
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Topspin slice is the easiest serve for me to hit. I find it a lot easier than hitting a slice. The ball should be to your right but not as far as a regular slice and a little in front of your head or right above it. Experiment with it. Your racket should carve the side of the ball while coming up on it at the same time. On a clock face you would be hitting around the 1 or the 2.

And with names, it doesn't matter to me what it is called, especially when the person knows what you mean. It makes things overly complicated at times.

so you say i should hit it kinda like in this pic i made? but do you brush from the center-up into that direction or do you hit the ball down in that direction? is the pic even right?

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7961/balljl6.th.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=balljl6.jpg)

Vision84
03-30-2008, 10:39 PM
That is right. If you highlight from that corner to the bottom left corner an add an arrow pointing from bottom left to top right then that should be your point of contact and racket path. Otherwise if you just hit that top corner then the ball will get pulled down and not get over the net. It is basically halfway between a topspin serve and a slice serve.

Just experiment a little. You won't truly get a sense of it till you can practice with it and see what adjustments do what to the ball.

kabob
03-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Tennis magazine's website has some great instructional videos on good serving tips, including how to hit with slice and topspin.

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionvideos/serve/serve.aspx?id=110352

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionvideos/serve/serve.aspx?id=35852

Kratos
03-31-2008, 02:08 AM
That is right. If you highlight from that corner to the bottom left corner an add an arrow pointing from bottom left to top right then that should be your point of contact and racket path. Otherwise if you just hit that top corner then the ball will get pulled down and not get over the net. It is basically halfway between a topspin serve and a slice serve.

Just experiment a little. You won't truly get a sense of it till you can practice with it and see what adjustments do what to the ball.

Tennis magazine's website has some great instructional videos on good serving tips, including how to hit with slice and topspin.

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionvideos/serve/serve.aspx?id=110352

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionvideos/serve/serve.aspx?id=35852

well, thanks for the advice! i'll be sure to put in practice all the tips here, we'll see what comes out

anchorage
03-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Another good tip (which works for me!) is to have the feeling that you're pulling the racket handle straight up as you start to attack the ball. Also, visually, try the actually see the racket head ending higher than the ball at contact - really gets you reaching up.

heartman
03-31-2008, 08:22 AM
For a right-handed person, your racquet moves across the back of the ball from left to right on a slice serve. Just the opposite if you're left-handed - then it's right to left across the back of the ball.

On a twist serve, whether you're right- or left-handed, your racquet moves from the back bottom of the ball to the top of the ball, creating topspin on the ball.

Best bet may be to watch a few folk who use the slice or twist serve, then try to imitate them.

Kratos
03-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Another good tip (which works for me!) is to have the feeling that you're pulling the racket handle straight up as you start to attack the ball.

i don't really get this, could you explain it just a little?

Kratos
03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
For a right-handed person, your racquet moves across the back of the ball from left to right on a slice serve. Just the opposite if you're left-handed - then it's right to left across the back of the ball.

On a twist serve, whether you're right- or left-handed, your racquet moves from the back bottom of the ball to the top of the ball, creating topspin on the ball.

Best bet may be to watch a few folk who use the slice or twist serve, then try to imitate them.

i think that for a twist serve, it's only useful IF you have a very fast swing, or racquet-head speed, therefore creating alot of spin and ultimately kick and also getting it to travel very fast, not like a first serve of course, but fast; otherwise, if you're a rookie or can't hit it with that much speed or spin, the ball just steps up and asks to be killed, and it's not such a weapon.

Also, i wanted to ask you something about the slice serve.
When anyone hit one, a pro or a good server, does a slice serve travel very fast like the flat, or does it travel sort of slow but with spin, because well frankly this is the serve i use the least, and on the times i actually do hit one, i just feel it travels too slow to be a weapon, because what i heard was that you have to imagine peeling off the right side of the ball, and it doesnt get alot of speed that way, so i just wanted to know if you can actually hit a good one with pace and how to. Thanks

Zachol82
03-31-2008, 10:25 PM
i think that for a twist serve, it's only useful IF you have a very fast swing, or racquet-head speed, therefore creating alot of spin and ultimately kick and also getting it to travel very fast, not like a first serve of course, but fast; otherwise, if you're a rookie or can't hit it with that much speed or spin, the ball just steps up and asks to be killed, and it's not such a weapon.

Also, i wanted to ask you something about the slice serve.
When anyone hit one, a pro or a good server, does a slice serve travel very fast like the flat, or does it travel sort of slow but with spin, because well frankly this is the serve i use the least, and on the times i actually do hit one, i just feel it travels too slow to be a weapon, because what i heard was that you have to imagine peeling off the right side of the ball, and it doesnt get alot of speed that way, so i just wanted to know if you can actually hit a good one with pace and how to. Thanks

What kind of shot DOESN'T benefit from fast racquet-head speed?

To answer your question about the slice serve. A slice serve travels slower than a flat serve. It's impossible to hit a slice with more pace than a flat while applying the same amount of force to the ball. A flat serve simply applies all the force directly into the position you want the ball to go.

A slice applies most of the force on the side of the ball by brushing it, which then creates a spin and THAT spin is what guides the ball to wherever you want it to go. Therefore, the more force you put into a slice, the more SPIN it will have which means that it will curve MORE in that certain direction. For example, if you are right handed, a slice serve would curve the ball to YOUR left as it leaves your stringbed and as it bounces. Putting more force into this serve would make the ball curve left MORE but this does not affect how fast it is going...rather, the more spin you have tend to slow the ball down even more. Also, the more sidespin you have here, the lower the ball would bounce as well.

Hot Sauce
03-31-2008, 11:59 PM

Are you sure..?

Kratos
04-01-2008, 08:07 AM
What kind of shot DOESN'T benefit from fast racquet-head speed?

To answer your question about the slice serve. A slice serve travels slower than a flat serve. It's impossible to hit a slice with more pace than a flat while applying the same amount of force to the ball. A flat serve simply applies all the force directly into the position you want the ball to go.

A slice applies most of the force on the side of the ball by brushing it, which then creates a spin and THAT spin is what guides the ball to wherever you want it to go. Therefore, the more force you put into a slice, the more SPIN it will have which means that it will curve MORE in that certain direction. For example, if you are right handed, a slice serve would curve the ball to YOUR left as it leaves your stringbed and as it bounces. Putting more force into this serve would make the ball curve left MORE but this does not affect how fast it is going...rather, the more spin you have tend to slow the ball down even more. Also, the more sidespin you have here, the lower the ball would bounce as well.

do you know like what the average mph for a slice serve for pros? thanks

GPB
04-01-2008, 10:00 AM

So lemmie get this straight...

Flat = no spin = hit through the ball (fast)
Slice = sidespin = hit 8-2 (bounces low and jumps to the side)
Twist = topspin = hit 6-12 (bounces high)
Kicker = extreme pronation (bounces opposite to a slice)

Is that right? Is there another serve that needs to be added to this list? I'm trying to learn the terminology (never heard a topspin serve called a twist before).

Caladbolg
04-01-2008, 01:55 PM
So lemmie get this straight...

Flat = no spin = hit through the ball (fast)
Slice = sidespin = hit 8-2 (bounces low and jumps to the side)
Twist = topspin = hit 6-12 (bounces high)
Kicker = extreme pronation (bounces opposite to a slice)

Is that right? Is there another serve that needs to be added to this list? I'm trying to learn the terminology (never heard a topspin serve called a twist before).

Ok, the serves i've read about and know of are:
1-Flat serve (or cannonball serve), is hit directly through the ball with almost no spin
2-Slice serve is hit brushing the right side of the ball, that would be contacting it at 3 o'clock (for a right hander), curves left and continues to skid left upon bouncing
3-Topspin serve, is hit throwing the ball straight above your head (at 12 o'clock maybe) and the racquet brushes straight up from 6-12
4-American twist serve/twist/kick serve, is thrown a little more to the left than the topspin serve, and you contact the ball on it's bottom-left side and swing upwards and out to the right from like 8-2 or 7-1, which both can be the corner of the left-bottom side then
5-Topsin-slice serve: i'm still not exactly clear about this one, or how exactly to execute it, but some say it exists, others it does not,so...
6-Reverse-slice serve, is done using either an Eastern forehand grip,semi-western grip or even a western grip some say, and basically you hit the ball with a right to left swing like at 11:30

And i also discovered that i can hit a serve that no one's told me which one it is, but what it does is it curves to my left when hit, like a 12-6 o'clock curve clockwise, and when it bounces it kicks off to the right, but the thing is it's not the same twist serve because i don't hit it behind my head and i don't brush up, instead i throw it like a flat serve, with a continental grip and i hit the ball on it's top or maybe at 11:30 from left to right.

xnarek
04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
In the end of a serve, the racquet has to end up down ur arm to the back?

Caladbolg
04-01-2008, 05:59 PM
In the end of a serve, the racquet has to end up down ur arm to the back?

what? well just watch any pro serve, yes the racquet should be under your left arm and beside your left leg if you're right handed, opposite for lefties