PDA

View Full Version : Avery M3 Control Midplus

montx
03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi, anyone played with this racquet? With Lead added? Just appreciate thoughts on this racquet, thanks.

montx
03-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Hoping for some input :S.

montx
03-31-2008, 01:42 AM
Still hoping for some insight into this racquet.

Ross K
03-31-2008, 01:52 AM
Still hoping for some insight into this racquet.

Me too!

If it's the frame I think it is, I remember hearing very high praise for this in the past. I suppose it's one of those that sits in the back of your mind with a big question mark. Anyhow, if I recall correctly, I don't think they sell them in Europe, but I'm still interested in ppl's views.

montx
03-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Yes me too, I love the specs except 12 points Head Light.

Those specs and 5 points Head Light I would buy a few.

montx
03-31-2008, 02:00 AM
I just never heard of how good this manufacturer is. Its not like its a Boris Becker which you know is a Volkl.

Ross K
03-31-2008, 02:24 AM
Very much like the Fischer's that are now impressing me so very much, I think with Avery they're reputation is excellent, but not everybody really knows about them. They are something of a well-kept secret.

montx
03-31-2008, 02:48 AM
Thats what I'm thinking...I asked Tennis warehouse to help with lead tape but they have made a mistake on 2 racquets I ordered.

I think 18 grams on this baby might really be nice.

But you really got to hear what its like from the playtesters, last thing I want to do Is buy a racquet that plays dead.

80'stennis
03-31-2008, 03:24 AM
This isn't my main racquet so what I say probably doesn't hold as much weight as you'd like. My main racket is a PS85. The Avery has a very nice feel no doubt, a bit more muted but not dead. It doesn't have that "woody" feel I associate with the PS85 even though it's graphite racquet. Something to do with the pocketing effect. I don't really experience this with the Avery so much. It's solid, but a good deal lighter than the PS85 so the plow through effect I'm used to isn't completely there. I wouldn't say this racquet has a lot of pop (strung with k-gut). It's got really good control and spin potential is great. The stock frame swung way too HL for me, so I did add lead at 3 and 9. I don't usually play with a 95, but this one is narrow at the throat with a greater proportion of the surface area at the crown giving it a smaller feel for me at least. Overall a high quality frame, absolutely nothing to worry about by the company's lack of exposure. I do, however, have only one frame. But judging by this one I would put it above Wilsons where, for example, a recent frame I got has a rattle in the handle.

With my demo-mileage, which isn't tremendous but is still substantial, I'd put this racquet at better than 85% to 90% of the other frames I've hit with. The only reasons I don't play it more is because of the lack of pop/liveliness and the headsize. That and the PS85 exists. As I think about it, it almost feels like the strings aren't as open a pattern as they in fact are. Hope this helps. I would recommend the Avery insofar as I bought one myself.

montx
03-31-2008, 03:55 AM
That was a great review thanks a lot.

My understanding is that is has good specs and plays good to specs. Provides a good muted feel but at the expense of being lively and pocketing the ball well (which could probably be resolved by lowering the tension a tad)

Your also saying the stock frame is HL and way too much, which I totally agree, I was thinking of cranking the weight up at 12.

What your saying about the dead feel was my main concern as is with 100% graphite racquets. I guess it might be worth trying out but trying to configure a lively set of strings on the string bed is probably going to be paramount with this thing.

Thanks again for that, it is really got specs I like, but I probably will settle for the Boris Becker 11 Mid. The midplus has been my exalibur recent times but I think the smaller headsize is more my cup of joe.

Again, I am grateful for your honest review.

montx
03-31-2008, 04:01 AM
I have an alternate racquet which is the Djokovic one, but mainly Im a BB11 standard dude. It just if I were to write my own specs for a racquet, the avery comes closest to what I want, all except as you agree the 12 points HL. I would have even not bothered asking about it if it were 4 or 5 points HL or even as much as 8 Points.

80'stennis
03-31-2008, 04:06 AM
Certainly glad to be of help. The only thing I'd add is that I don't want to paint the picture that this racquet is in any way dead. I mean it's all relative to what I like and the racquets I've had a chance to play. I'm hoping there will be other Avery users who'll contribute so you can get a few more opinions.

That new Becker Mid does sound sweet. Let us know what you think once you get your hands on one. :)

80'stennis
03-31-2008, 04:08 AM
What do you think of the Avery Power? From what I remember a bit stiffer, but otherwise close to what you want? I haven't played that one.

montx
03-31-2008, 04:15 AM
I will definitely let you know on the Becker Mid, and I understand what your saying about the Avery M3 control 95. I know if I ever get it as a test racquet, I will need to lead it up anyway which who knows what it will swing like after. I don't feel like I have to worry with the Becker Mid 11, cause I've played with the Becker 11 standard as my main until now, but the serve is a tad taxing.

If I were to experiment with the Avery, it would be lots of lead and probably look for some sort of string combination that is very lively, maybe even thinner string?!

The Avery Power just doesn't have the specs I like, especially the swingweight is too much. That is why I don't like it.

By the way, would you know if I went with say 17 Guage, would I be in effect creating a livelier string bed?

ThiTran
03-31-2008, 07:29 AM
I've been playing with both Avery M3 control and Wilson PS original 95, both are strung with Luxilon ALU rough, and TiMO in that order.

The Avery has good spin on both sides and it seems like I can server a little faster with it. I can slide a little better with the PS 95, maybe due to the string. I can volley just a little better with the PS 95, just a little.

On paper the Avery is a little more HL compare to the PS 95 but it does not feel like it to me. The Avery seems to have a very good balance and swing weight; my arm does not feel tired at all. Overall, I really like it.

The Avery is in production and readily available at TW; so it's a plus also.

You can try to demo one and see for yourself.

iplaybetter
03-31-2008, 08:15 AM
i have wondered about their sticks in the past, but cannot seem to get an answer, i think it is quite easy to get free sticks from them

montx
03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
So is the concensus its a good racquet?

Thanks