PDA

View Full Version : analyze my strokes

raiden031
03-30-2008, 07:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrk2jVUxmxs

I filmed myself today practicing with a guy on my league team. I felt a little sluggish as this was filmed after about 2 hours of playing doubles prior. Most of my shots went in except for one or two of the backhands I believe.

Comments on the strokes plz.

Also I could use some advice on where to set up the camera. I really want to get a from-behind shot but I don't know if the camera should be on a tripod or if it can sit on the ground. Any suggestions?

zidane339
03-30-2008, 08:01 PM
maybe use your nonhitting arm more for more power.seems you use your dominant arm alot through your stroke.

CantBeBeat2
03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
not bad but you seems lazy. after you hit the ball instead of getting back into ready position, you just dangle your racquet down to the ground and wait for the ball to come. get the racquet back infront of you.

kctennis1005
03-30-2008, 08:17 PM
u slap it a little too. your wrist should not move when u hit through the ball

Vision84
03-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Forehand:
1. Get your left arm out om front to help balance yourself as currently it just kind of dangles there.
2. Rotate your torso more when you are preparing for the shot. Imagine yourself coiling like a spring.
3. Use your legs more. When you coil up your torso put your weight on your right leg in the open stance, bend your knees and then as you begin to uncoil and explode into the shot feel your weight transfer upward and around onto your left leg.

Watch what Nadal does with these points in this slow motion clip.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yEjtLGMd2p8

Backhand:
1. Use your left arm to go back behind you. You do this a bit already but really straighten it.

Also show some more intensity. Stay on your toes and don't look so casual and laid back hitting the ball.

Your fundamentals are sound though so you have a good base for things. Keep up the good work.

quicken
03-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Your non dominant hand is not doing anything.

Look at pros and mimic their left hand movements.
They use it so well, thats how they produce balance in their shots.

You want to take your racquet back with your left hand on your forehand then tuck the left hand in as you hit the shot.

On your backhand, you want to extend that left arm of yours to balance out your racquet hand.

smoothtennis
03-31-2008, 05:41 AM
Yeah, agreed on the left arm - that really sticks out.

Raiden - what are you doing with that left arm on your forehands? It will improve your balance as you swing through the shot. Got watch the pro's. Also, it's hard to be lazy when you get that left arm extended out. Try it.

FH2FH
03-31-2008, 06:00 AM
I usually put the camera on one side or the other, for forehands or backhands. It's impossible to see both at one time.

raiden031
03-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Raiden - what are you doing with that left arm on your forehands? It will improve your balance as you swing through the shot. Got watch the pro's. Also, it's hard to be lazy when you get that left arm extended out. Try it.

I thought I was using my left arm because when I shadow swing at home I always use my left arm to bring my racquet back on the forehand side. Maybe since I am more focused on the ball than the stroke while on the court, I got sloppy. Also I was exhausted when I was filming this so that could have contributed to it. Regardless, I'm going to start focusing on the things that people are saying in this thread and film myself again sometime soon and see how it looks.

Vision84
03-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Ok. Make sure your in good energy so your form and footwork is strong and we can better evaluate you like that. With your left arm on the forehand it is good to bring the racket back with it and then keep it out front and then tuck it in as you swing through.

Doc Hollidae
03-31-2008, 07:48 AM
Unit turn and use of hips, use your off arm for balance, and deeper knee bend.

Vision84
03-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Here is a great instructional video on the forehand I just found which explains some of the points I was trying to make very well.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=whpVYbiJpFs&feature=related

JMS
03-31-2008, 07:56 AM
The lack of knee bend stuck out to me.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 07:59 AM

I filmed myself today practicing with a guy on my league team. I felt a little sluggish as this was filmed after about 2 hours of playing doubles prior. Most of my shots went in except for one or two of the backhands I believe.

Also I could use some advice on where to set up the camera. I really want to get a from-behind shot but I don't know if the camera should be on a tripod or if it can sit on the ground. Any suggestions?

The forehand's not too bad, but the backhand needs work. You should bend your legs a little more and your followthrough bends up at the top. You'd do better with a straight armed followthrough looking like the statue of liberty because that bent arm can throw off your form quite a bit.

smoothtennis
04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I thought I was using my left arm because when I shadow swing at home I always use my left arm to bring my racquet back on the forehand side. Maybe since I am more focused on the ball than the stroke while on the court, I got sloppy. Also I was exhausted when I was filming this so that could have contributed to it. Regardless, I'm going to start focusing on the things that people are saying in this thread and film myself again sometime soon and see how it looks.

Raiden, even on this vid, you do take your non racket arm back with the racket. What you are letting happen however, is when you release it, you let that left arm kinda die. After you release the racket with the left arm, 'extend' that arm a little more, then as you start your forward stroke, you just naturally counter balance with it. I am not talking about excessive extension, just more than what you are doing now.

Looks like a decent forehand you have going, this will help it one more notch.8-)

Kobble
04-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Like most people, you are arming the stroke in that video. The power should flow from one link to the next. prematurely firing a link causes a loss of power not a gain-a proven fact.

35ft6
04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
You really need to turn your body on the backhand and stop arming it. Right now, the fundamentals aren't there, but you obviously can make contact, so it's not going to be THAT hard to put the rest of the pieces in place, like squaring up your footwork, turning your shoulders more, and driving through more with a straight arm. Right now, your swing is way too angular, brushes up too quickly. As you become better and start playing with better players, that kind of backhand is going to be a real handicap. You can get away with that on the forehand, like Nadal does, but not on the backhand. Practice driving through it more.

raiden031
04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
You really need to turn your body on the backhand and stop arming it. Right now, the fundamentals aren't there, but you obviously can make contact, so it's not going to be THAT hard to put the rest of the pieces in place, like squaring up your footwork, turning your shoulders more, and driving through more with a straight arm. Right now, your swing is way too angular, brushes up too quickly. As you become better and start playing with better players, that kind of backhand is going to be a real handicap. You can get away with that on the forehand, like Nadal does, but not on the backhand. Practice driving through it more.

What do you mean by squaring up my footwork and that my swing is too angular? Its already a handicap when I'm having a bad day. :) There is definitely alot more fluctuation in the level of consistency on the backhand side than the forehand side from day to day, thats for sure.

04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Backhands take much better footwork than the forehand, so therefore on bad days you are probably just being a little lazy with the feet and racket prep.

Yes, your off hand could be better but that is not a huge thing. Even some pros don't look so good in that department. For the record, it should go at a rt angle to your shoulders, nearly parallel to the baseline; Not out in front like a surfer. ( that is beginner position, which you clearly are not)

What I'd like to suggest since I thought you basics were actually pretty solid if you just add some knee bend,

is that you move in on a angle to cut off the ball and take it on its rise, opposed to letting it come all the way back to you. It will give you more power and control without you having to swing any harder. A nice advanced addition that you are clearly ready for!

04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Swinging angular just means not getting good extension towards your target before you follow thru wrap.
You could improve here, but you didn't look bad there, especially since all you were hitting were baseline rally shots, which tend to have less extension anyway.

To cut off balls on an angle and take them as they rise, will require more extension though.

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 07:41 PM

Okay, so I am suppose to give you a break and critique your strokes after hours of play? I really dont care about your excuses. If you post it, I will critque it.

1. Your footwork is very slow and if you dont have footwork, your stroke is now going to suffer.

2. Your shoulders open to soon on the forehand. Try controlling your shoulder rotation over your backleg. You should load over your back leg, "pull" on the handle first as your shoulder rotation almost immediately follows, then use your non-dominant arm to break the shoulder rotation by bringing it into your body which allows your hitting arm to accelerate through. Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5l6NiQ1Upg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaUH9Bevnew&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNm-Vo38Jeo&feature=related

The non-dominant arm in each of these clips is vitally important to maintain good shoulder rotation INTO the ball and not away from the ball. Overrotation leads to an inconsistent stroke. Study your rotation (knee bend, non-dominant arm, balance, etc...) to theirs.