PDA

View Full Version : Best racquet for this play style?

RoddickistheMan
03-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I tend to stay a few feet behind the baseline and rip forehands and I would like to structure my game with having a big serve than a big forehand. also I have a somewhat weaker serve but would require a racquet that could improve it would the Pure drive plus be a good match. I play with it right now and it seems tot be doing the trick. However comfort seems to be an issue nothing serious just annoying pains during matchplay near my wrist they go away the next day. I was thinking about the aero pro drive and aeropro drive plus as well as the storm tour. Would these racquet's suit this style or hinder my strengths and increase my weaknesses.

Ultra2HolyGrail
03-30-2008, 09:18 PM
You might be better going to a head prestige 98 or something like that. Use some poly and string it very low to get some power like the babolat.

If you use extreme grips that could also be why you're having pain. Also consider taking some time off a tennis imo. Warning sighn's could lead to something bigger, good luck.

iLose
03-30-2008, 09:22 PM
I noticed NOTHING feels quite like a pure drive, its a great stick. When I was having small problems (much like like you). I swished over to a Multi/ syn string and strung it pretty tight. same control a little less spin but the arm problems went away.

RestockingTues
03-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Lol why does everyone assume the Pure Drive will improve your serve? It's the player, not the stick...

NicolasH
03-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't believe that there's a certain racket for a certain playing style. There are too many good players who all play with the same racket and they all have a different style/technique.

The best racket is the one that you like the best. It's all about preferences, you try to find the equipment that you like the best, but at the end of the day a good player is a good player. If you doubt your equipment you should probably change something. If you have a arm problems, try a softer string.
Maybe your arm problems aren't caused by the racket, it could be your technique, your stretching habits, your physique etc.

Yes, tennis is an equipment sport (unlike soccer etc.) but at the end of the day it's the fiddler and not the fiddle that matters the most.

Ultra2HolyGrail
03-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Lol why does everyone assume the Pure Drive will improve your serve?

Because of Roddick :)

crawl4
03-30-2008, 10:06 PM
you should demo some of the speedports as well as the microgel extreme and ag 200/500 tour.

:)

kabob
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
I've never hit with a racquet that served better than the standard Babo Pure Drive. That said, the rest of my game suffered from using that stiff, lightweight, thick-framed POS.

racquet_jedi
03-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Because of Roddick :)

You nailed it...:):):)

quicken
03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
PDR owns at serves, probably helped me the most on FH as well. Great stick, try it out.
And yes its a bit powerful so might string it around the 60s.

tzinc
03-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Because lots of people got PDRs and their serves IMRPOVED by changing to that racquet (with no other changes). It's a well known effect.

Certain racquets fit certain games or parts of games better.

A player who uses a K 90 doesn't play the same game as a player who uses a PD or APDC.

the-robz
03-31-2008, 01:13 AM
old squash racket. the perfect racket for ripping forehands and serves. :D

Petekbladetour1
03-31-2008, 02:36 AM
you should demo some of the speedports :)

To be correct i would recommend the Speedport black.

azn_hobo
05-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't believe that there's a certain racket for a certain playing style. There are too many good players who all play with the same racket and they all have a different style/technique.

The best racket is the one that you like the best. It's all about preferences, you try to find the equipment that you like the best, but at the end of the day a good player is a good player. If you doubt your equipment you should probably change something. If you have a arm problems, try a softer string.
Maybe your arm problems aren't caused by the racket, it could be your technique, your stretching habits, your physique etc.

Yes, tennis is an equipment sport (unlike soccer etc.) but at the end of the day it's the fiddler and not the fiddle that matters the most.

Amen brother!

Drona
05-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I tend to stay a few feet behind the baseline and rip forehands and I would like to structure my game with having a big serve than a big forehand. also I have a somewhat weaker serve but would require a racquet that could improve it would the Pure drive plus be a good match. I play with it right now and it seems tot be doing the trick. However comfort seems to be an issue nothing serious just annoying pains during matchplay near my wrist they go away the next day. I was thinking about the aero pro drive and aeropro drive plus as well as the storm tour. Would these racquet's suit this style or hinder my strengths and increase my weaknesses.

I saw recommendations here and tried the Becker PRO.
Could not abide by the PDR w/ wrist pain;
no pain w/ Becker.
May need to add some weight though I felt very comfortable w/ it stock.

quest01
05-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Because lots of people got PDRs and their serves IMRPOVED by changing to that racquet (with no other changes). It's a well known effect.

Certain racquets fit certain games or parts of games better.

A player who uses a K 90 doesn't play the same game as a player who uses a PD or APDC.

That is actually true for the most part. People who use the PD or APDC tend to play strictly from the baseline while players who use a K90 play more of an all court or serve and volley type game.

Bud
05-23-2008, 07:08 PM
You nailed it...:):):)

That's what he/she said (depending on your preference) :oops:

Topspin Kid364
05-24-2008, 07:10 AM
If the PDR is giving you too much pain, try the AeroPro Drive w/ cortex, I never feel any pain.

DC Tennis Fan
05-27-2008, 06:45 PM
If the PDR is giving you too much pain, try the AeroPro Drive w/ cortex, I never feel any pain.

I have both the Babolat APDC and Becker Pro and both are great racquets that give you a good amount of controllable pop from the baseline and are spin friendly. I also think both racquets are good for serving with a slight edge to the Becker Pro. The Becker Pro needs some weight though added to the stock form. I added 8 grams to the 6 o'clock position of the racquet and gained more depth on my shots and more sting to my volleys, overheads and serves.