PDA

View Full Version : Slow motion serve video

TGCV
03-31-2008, 06:12 AM
I would really appreciate your thoughts on how to improve. Are there glaring errors that stand out? All criticism and advice are very welcome! Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLTLZMh25Dk

Rickson
03-31-2008, 06:47 AM
I would really appreciate your thoughts on how to improve. Are there glaring errors that stand out? All criticism and advice are very welcome! Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLTLZMh25Dk

Is that you, little girl? AWWWWWWWWWWWWW, so cute. You need to be on your toes and not remain flat footed during the serve. Fix that part first and foremost.

Vision84
03-31-2008, 09:25 AM
For your level that serve looks relly good. Nice and fluid with good pronation.

As you get older and more advanced then you can work on throwing your hip forwards and incorporating a knee bend. This is often called the archers bow. This video explains it well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUrOKuldgIc&NR=1

saram
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
You have a better service motion than some 4.0 men that I know. Keep with it. In time, the strength and size will get there. You really have some wonderful fluidity to the motion there. Reminds me of what I hope to see my daughter doing in a few years when she reaches your age. :)

junbumkim
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
wow, pretty impressive-
The motion seems pretty smooth and nice.

One thing she needs to get rid of is the first knee bend. As she brings her arm down before tossing, she also bends her kneeds. This needs to be gone.
She might do this unconciously because she is trying to toss the ball high enough.

Another thing I recommend is her tossing arm action. It's not jerky, but it's going up very fast. Tossing action should be slow and smooth motion.
Again, this might be because she's trying to toss the ball high enough.

All of these problems can be gone with the correct weight transfer. before tossing, the weight should be on her backfoot. As her weight shifts forward, she's going to get slight knee bend on her left knee - this is when tossing should take place. You toss the ball as you shift weight forward -onto your left leg. These parts of service motion takes very very slow as you get into the trophy motion, then explode into the ball. She should try to feel this rhythm of sloooooow - boom.

Right now, weight shift occurs AFTER the toss. This is why she feels the need to toss the ball higher than she needs to.

I would suggest watching Lopez's service motion. He uses pinppoint stance, but he has a pretty classic motion without much junk.

junbumkim
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
also, don't let her swing too hard......She's going to throw her should out.

Bundey
03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Wow, it is funny to see a girl that small serve so well. Okay, well before the initial toss she slightly bends her knees, and that is wasted movement that should be cut out. Also I can't tell if she is using continental, so if she isn't, then she needs to start. Great overall serve though. Very impressive.

TGCV
03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks for those great tips!
When I go out there tomorrow I'll focus on not doing a knee bend during my toss, doing a small knee bend while lifting my racquet, & hitting on my toes.

Thanks everybody!;-);

P.S-- I'm putting 1 on the heel pad and 2 for the knuckle.

junbumkim
03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
hitting on toe will happen naturally if you do the motion correctly.
And you are doing it correctly...In the first motion, you can see the heel of your feet coming off the ground.

Remember, front part of the foot are still on the ground...
It might help you to watch some service motion on youtube

Moz
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks for those great tips!
When I go out there tomorrow I'll focus on not doing a knee bend during my toss, doing a small knee bend while lifting my racquet, & hitting on my toes.

Thanks everybody!;-);

P.S-- I'm putting 1 on the heel pad and 2 for the knuckle.

Both your service action and your posts do you proud.

Keep up the good work!:)