PDA

View Full Version : I wanna learn the kick serve ^^

SeekHeart
03-31-2008, 10:40 AM
I've been trying to learn the kick serve for months now and so far I have not made any progress. I know that you have to brush up and that the toss is more to the left and behind your head, but problem is I can't get myself to hit up and I have no idea what to do with the wrist. I use a continental grip and I want my kick serve to be very effective and get good penetration and maybe even break to the right?

Djokovicfan4life
03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Do a search, this topic has been discussed to death on here.

I can't help you, my kick serve stinks, but there are already several threads with all the information you need to know.

SeekHeart
03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
I know but, I need help doing the brush motion not with the actual serve cause I already know the motion.

swimntennis
03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm also learning the kick serve and watching Radwanska's serve for some reason made it click. Have a look:

Youtube Link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=uYDOFGnfkiw)

I tried to copy that exaggerated "wrist-bend" motion in her take-back and it's helped me a lot.

SeekHeart
03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't see it xD. What does the wrist do still snap down?

swimntennis
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
It's really the exaggerated movement of the how the racquet comes over the ball. What I was doing before was I had a really firm wrist and couldn't come over it well. Now I try to have my wrist "broken" behind my head and snap over the ball. It's working so far.

SeekHeart
03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm getting frustrated by how I can't brush on top and over the ball xD.

lolsmash
03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
That's cuz in a kick serve you don't brush up and over. You brush diagonally towards the right. If the ball was a compass, you'd go from Southwest to a little bit inbetween North and Northeast.

Go to fuzzyyellowballs.com

They have a very helpful kick serve video instruction there. Also, stop using the term wrist snap. It implies a painful wrist action even though all you are doing is turning the forearm(not the wrist), which is called pronation.

SeekHeart
03-31-2008, 04:29 PM
oh, lol ok so my wrist turns inwards like a flat serve? or does it go off to the side.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Please search other threads, much better information is given there. Actually, lolsmash, in a pure topspin serve, the "brush up and over" motion is exactly what you want to do to get good topspin on the ball leading to a higher bounce or kick. The American Twist serve is the serve which has you (assuming RH) brush up AND to the right...not sure if this is what the OP wants. But anyway, use the forum search tool.

SeekHeart
03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
I already searched and all but I can't find anything on what the wrist does during a topspin serve. Also I plan on evolving the topspin to american twist asap. Will someone verify for me if the movement of the kick serve is like waving hi?

lolsmash
03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Please search other threads, much better information is given there. Actually, lolsmash, in a pure topspin serve, the "brush up and over" motion is exactly what you want to do to get good topspin on the ball leading to a higher bounce or kick. The American Twist serve is the serve which has you (assuming RH) brush up AND to the right...not sure if this is what the OP wants. But anyway, use the forum search tool.

No, a kick serve and twist serve are the same. The reason a kick serve "kicks" is because of the side spin. A topspin serve will not have the same "kick" action. There is a difference between the topspin serve and kick serve. Ask the more experienced people on this board. They will tell you the same thing. A topspin serve, in the end, assuming that the same degree of spin is the same, will bounce lower than a kick serve. It seems weird, but it's true.

quicken
03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
You don't do the wrist.
you never do the wrist.

xpaulinabearx
03-31-2008, 07:40 PM
My dad used the kick serve on me, and it was amazing.
haha
I swear, i thought the serve was a fault so i just there.
-_-

Service Ace
03-31-2008, 08:01 PM
I can get it to kick. What I can't do is keep it in. It's always long by the same 6 inches and it really ****es me off.

SeekHeart
04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I still can't control the blasted serve, argh... I'm still wondering if I'm supposed to wave hi to the ball or not.

f1 tech
04-01-2008, 06:26 PM
I can get it to kick. What I can't do is keep it in. It's always long by the same 6 inches and it really ****es me off.

Try tossing slightly more towards the court.

str33t
04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/serve/develop_kicker.php

http://fuzzyyellowballs.com/index.php?col=7514590

Both of these websites helps an incredible amount.

Nellie
04-02-2008, 06:40 AM
I have changed my service grip on the kick serve to an eastern backhand because I found it going consistently long with a continental

SeekHeart
04-02-2008, 04:14 PM
well I finally got the motion perfectly down ^^. My new problem is that I can't get good kick or rather good depth/effectiveness in the serve. It keeps going to high and landing in but as a sitting duck.

guitarplayer57
04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I had trouble brushing the ball at first too. Just learning this serve, u wanna try exaggerating the ball toss behind u. Throw it way back so that u have to lean almost 90 degrees. When u hit the ball u'll be facing the sky. Then hit the ball like u were hiting an overhead smash close to the net. That should take care of the wrist action ur talking about, and it will give the ball the topspin it needs to kick. Practice it really exaggerated and before long u will be able to do it regularly. Have fun acing people. :)

lolsmash
04-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Try learning it with the continental first before switching to eastern grip. If you can get the brushing motion with the continental, it will be better with the eastern backhand.

Also, do NOT arch your back. NEVER EVER arch your back. At most you can toss it slightly behind you but you can hit a decent kick serve tossing the ball directly above you.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I know but, I need help doing the brush motion not with the actual serve cause I already know the motion.

If you really want to improve your spin serve bite and motion (considering that you know what to do), you have to practice it in an exaggerated way and slow it down.

1st drill: For our twist serves he put TWO targets (cones) on the court. One for the first bounce and the other (for me as a lefty) to the left for the second bounce. One worked on aim and the other on the twist. It was fun and we made it a challenge to score the most points.

2nd drill: My coach also used to have us go to the back fence and really spin the ball high over the net. He didnt care if the ball was in (unless we were competing for points), he only cared that the ball behaved according to the spin being worked on.

Long loopy strokes were needed and the ball went high into the air and did its thing. You are trying to get the motion down. Once you feel okay with it, move up to the baseline and begin working on increasing the speed of your motion.

I have used this exercise forever and it works.

SeekHeart
04-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Just to verify, the motion should be from 7 to 1 right?

Dupree
04-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Bang yourself in the head.
Jk, yes for the twist you have to swing in that direction or from 8-2 if you wish.
Actually i find that hitting a twist serve the way i do is way better than the actual one because: 1-I toss the ball like a first serve, only slightly closer to my body and more to a 12 o'clock position, but somewhat infront, not behind my head, whic i find way better because it's easier to hit, you don't bend back and risk back problems and weird and annoying pains 2-It has a lot more disguise, because that toss is very similar to a flat serve, so they won't see it coming 3-You can add more pace to it and get it to kick more 4-Ultimately the way i hit it is use a continental grip or even slightly but just a teeney bit more to the eastern bh, and what you do is try to hit the ball like at 12 o'clock or even 11:30, either works, and swing the racquet from left to right (if youre right handed of course) and also forward for the pace

Rickson
04-04-2008, 07:03 AM
I've been trying to learn the kick serve for months now and so far I have not made any progress. I know that you have to brush up and that the toss is more to the left and behind your head, but problem is I can't get myself to hit up and I have no idea what to do with the wrist. I use a continental grip and I want my kick serve to be very effective and get good penetration and maybe even break to the right?

Kick serves rock!

doogoshly
04-04-2008, 07:10 AM
ok so you have the swing motion. the wrist motion that i do is quick and early pronation (like you do in the flat serve) and also adduction at my wrist. adduction of the wrist is best described if you hold your arms at your sides and have your palms facing forward, adduction would be bending your wrist to bring your hand closer to your body.

to get depth, you will want to open your racquet face a little to pop it up more. i don't think you want to hit forward more to accomplish depth because that reduces spin potential and makes it more like a flat serve.

adding directional movement on the bounce would make it a twist serve (topspin + slice) and i think you'll can work on that once you learn the kick serve.

SeekHeart
04-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I think I am getting better at the motion, but I can't get the ball to break right at all. Help?