PDA

View Full Version : Backhand video, advice?

TGCV
03-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm having trouble staying away (sideways) from the ball. I feel like my racquet
handle has gone to far around me by the time I hit the ball. Also, any advice on how to not stop my non-hitting hand from letting go of the racquet neck too early?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TXIQgLNGPY

Thanks!;-)

junbumkim
03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
hmm

nice backhand in general.

One thing I am a little concerned is that your wrist is too wobbly at the end of the stroke. I can't really describe in words, but followthrough for 1 handed backhand usually finishes out in front a little higher than your hitting shoulder. And wrist usually don't wobble like that. I don't know if it's because of lack of strength in children's arm.

Best way to desribe might be you accelerate through the contact zone and you come to a stop around shoulder height.

You look at pros, sometimes their swings are exaggerated depending on the situation, but in normal rally / practice situation, their finish is as I described. (probably with the exception of extreme backhand grips).

Also, I am not sure why you are pushing off the ground with your left leg. It's good that it's coming around for recovery, but it should happen AFTER you make the contact with the ball.

Frankly, I think the ball is a little too high for your height and you have to move too much to hit the shot.

junbumkim
03-31-2008, 01:46 PM
I understand that you are trying to get inputs from experts on this board, but I suggest you rely more on lessons with coaches.

You are learning tennis at a young age and need to develop proper techinique and habits. There can be a lot lost and misunderstood in communication through words.

While I (and other people) admire your zeal and effort, look for good coaches in your area as well.

quicken
03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Why why why why why why the one handed backhand? Two hande would provide you with way more consistency.

Djokovicfan4life
03-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Why why why why why why the one handed backhand? Two hande would provide you with way more consistency.

She's made a wise decision to stand out from the crowd in a sea of women two-handers.

fuzz nation
03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
It's good that your legs are active for your stroke because they need to be a primary source for power when you swing. I'm also psyched to see you taking a big broad release on that backhand.

Looking at the slo-mo shots in your video, it looks like your legs are running you through the stroke instead of providing a nice base for rotation forward through the shot. One of your strokes actually shows you running diagonally away from the baseline as you sort of heave the racquet through the ball (I know you're working with less than full grown frame here). In those cases when you're more "stretched" and can't set up well, you'll eventually want a good slice bh to keep you in some points.

When you do have time for a good set up, you'll want to ideally be stepping diagonally forward onto your right foot as your legs and hips drive your rotation through the hitting zone. You already seem to have a nice shoulder turn and if your long, loopy backswing is taking too much time to set up, you could consider taking the racquet immediately down and back to where you release it for your stroke.

Experiment with setting for your bh swing without hitting a ball - take the racquet back, stop and look at its position, and see if you can abbreviate the backswing. If so, get familiar with the difference in the feel of that racquet position, but keep your full follow through. If you can get yourself set up at the hitting zone before the ball arrives, you'll be fine, so concentrate on quick feet and try a more compact takeback if you need to stay ahead of the ball.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm having trouble staying away (sideways) from the ball. I feel like my racquet
handle has gone to far around me by the time I hit the ball. Also, any advice on how to not stop my non-hitting hand from letting go of the racquet neck too early?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TXIQgLNGPY

Thanks!;-)

Your followthrough has your arm bending up which can throw off your form. Try following through with a straight arm instead of curling up at the end.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 04:02 PM

The one hander at an early age will save her the trouble of switching in the future. The one handed backhand is the right choice.

Babb
03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Enough with the 1hbh vs. 2hbh comments already. Both have their place and neither is "better" than the other.

drakulie
03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
two things:

1. keep your left foot planted on the ground, and your right shoulder should be dipped (pointing down to the ground before you beging your forward swing.)

2. You are opening up your upper body too soon. When you begin the forward swing, make sure your right shoulder is pointing down, and your left foot is planted, and then swing using more of your shoulder without uncoiling your upper body.

Good luck. Thanks for sharing the video with us. It looks really good so far. You are well on your way to developing an awesome backhand.

[K]aotic
03-31-2008, 04:32 PM
1. keep your shoulder closed longer.
2. keep a firm wrist
3. keep your feet planted.

ps. gj on the stepping into the backhand. alot of people don't do that so kudos to u!

baek57
03-31-2008, 09:31 PM
keep your arm straight and wrist firm. and use your off hand to balance yourself better. should also help with opening up too early.

35ft6
04-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Who is this little girl? This video, her clothes, that racket, looks like it was shot in the early 90's.

watermantra
04-01-2008, 05:38 AM
I personally think her backhand is progressing nicely. She appears to be at most 10-12 years old. At that age, how many of us had strong wrists? How many of us had perfect form? She's striking the ball out in front, in or near the sweetspot, and with confidence and good timing. That is the most important thing. If you take a look at the other video of the serve from the youtube account, you'll see the same sort of progression. Great form for the apparent age, but the wrist is a bit wiggly.

Otherwise, you do seem to be hitting balls a bit off balance. I think rather than the things you mentioned, that you would be best served by working on footwork and body placement.

My advice would be to hit, hit, hit, hit. You seem to know what you want to improve. As you and your coach watch your progression, nip bad habits in the bud, and go from there. Watching videos of myself was the most helpful moment of my early tennis instruction.

And kudos for having the guts to use that one handed backhand and having the persistence to get it grooved!

Maybe in a few years she'll be another check in the box for the One Handed Backhand Society.

Rickson
04-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Who is this little girl? This video, her clothes, that racket, looks like it was shot in the early 90's.

The car that drives by in the serve video is not from that long ago so although these might be older clips as you've stated, they're definitely not from 1990 when mullets were popular and VHS was still king.

TennisProdigy
04-01-2008, 05:56 AM
It looks like you need more muscle strength to be able to control the swing of a one handed backhand. Or maybe your racquet is too heavy.

WBF
04-01-2008, 05:58 AM
Enough with the 1hbh vs. 2hbh comments already. Both have their place and neither is "better" than the other.

This.

Looks like a decent backhand for your age. fuzz nation and drakulie had some good input, I would work on implementing their advice.

TGCV
04-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for those tips you gave me everybody!
Today I worked on keeping my left foot on the ground and lifting my arm instead
of swinging like a merry-go-round. Keeping my left foot on the ground helped me lift my arm. I'm posting another video, what adjustments do you think I should make now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7mbh5Cxyf4

I think I'm hitting with a slightly bent arm and maybe that's why I'm too close (sideways) to the ball?

Thanks everybody!:wink:

Kobble
04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Get some good videos of Gustavo Kuerten, watch it in slow motion (pay attention to the sequence in which he starts rotating his body) and copy that. The competition will throw in the towel.

Djokovicfan4life
04-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Your swing is fine until the very end where your wrist flops all over the place.

Work on keeping that wrist straight and you're on your way to a great backhand. :)

Good to see that you've got the biggest step down already, which is stepping into the shot. I see a lot of people trying to just swing their arm only resulting in a weak shot.

Solat
04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
It looks like you need more muscle strength to be able to control the swing of a one handed backhand. Or maybe your racquet is too heavy.

exactly, get a lighter racquet whilst you are learning technique then use a heavier one when you have solid stroke mechanics

Essential Tennis
04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I understand that you are trying to get inputs from experts on this board, but I suggest you rely more on lessons with coaches.

You are learning tennis at a young age and need to develop proper techinique and habits. There can be a lot lost and misunderstood in communication through words.

While I (and other people) admire your zeal and effort, look for good coaches in your area as well.

This is the smartest thing posted in this thread and I agree with it. You're too young to be messing around with the opinions of people who don't do this every day for a living.

TGCV you're doing wonderful with your strokes, and it's inspiring to me as a teacher to see a student so willing to learn and work. If you're really serious about becoming the best player possible, go find a good coach or teaching pro to get instruction from. Keep up the good work :)