PDA

View Full Version : Index finger separation from rest of fingers on forehand?

Mansewerz
03-31-2008, 04:24 PM
When i hit a forehand, I've been told that the spacing in between my index finger and my other fingers is more spread out than the norm. I was reading up on the racquet lag/drag thread and it said that having the racquet lag a bit is the result of a relaxed wrist and it induces more speed, power and spin. My brother told me that maybe this spacing is preventing me from letting that racquet drag and whip into the ball. Do any pros do this, and is there anything wrong with doing this? I'll hopefully upload a pic in a bit.

Mansewerz
03-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Anybody????

itsstephenyo
03-31-2008, 04:57 PM
I think it's pretty common to spread out your fingers on forehands. A quick search on Google will find lots of Federer forehand pictures with his fingers obviously spready out.

Mansewerz
03-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I think it's pretty common to spread out your fingers on forehands. A quick search on Google will find lots of Federer forehand pictures with his fingers obviously spready out.

Yes, I just wanna know how spread out. The pictures i've seen seem to be too far away. I'll take a quick picture holding my racquet.

CoachingMastery
03-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Spreading your fingers out does several things: 1) It creates more surface area covered on the grip by the hand; 2) It helps prevent players from holding the racquet like a "club"; 3) It can help add touch and feel on shots.

We call it holding the racquet in a "trigger" grip where the index finger is spaced a little apart from the others. In time, this grip will help you gain control and feel. Initially, it will feel a bit weak.

As to your ability to lay the racquet head back, it shouldn't have that much to do with your ability to lay it back.

itsstephenyo
03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
I spread my fingers out quite a bit. Maybe an inch between my index finger to my middle finger and about a quarter inch between my middle to ring fingers.

On my backhand my fingers are closed together, though.

Mansewerz
03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
I spread my fingers out quite a bit. Maybe an inch between my index finger to my middle finger and about a quarter inch between my middle to ring fingers.

On my backhand my fingers are closed together, though.

Wow, that's a lot of spacing.

Spreading your fingers out does several things: 1) It creates more surface area covered on the grip by the hand; 2) It helps prevent players from holding the racquet like a "club"; 3) It can help add touch and feel on shots.

We call it holding the racquet in a "trigger" grip where the index finger is spaced a little apart from the others. In time, this grip will help you gain control and feel. Initially, it will feel a bit weak.

As to your ability to lay the racquet head back, it shouldn't have that much to do with your ability to lay it back.

Sweet, that's great to know.

here's a pic of my hand for more reference.

http://i30.tinypic.com/15ecnib.jpg

itsstephenyo
03-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Haha, yea mine are spread out even farther than yours. It's weird, because to me, the more conservative of a grip I use, the more I space my fingers out. I usually use an Eastern, but if I ever get the feeling to knock around with a Western, my fingers are almost fully closed.

Mansewerz
03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Haha, yea mine are spread out even farther than yours. It's weird, because to me, the more conservative of a grip I use, the more I space my fingers out. I usually use an Eastern, but if I ever get the feeling to knock around with a Western, my fingers are almost fully closed.

Strange, I use semi western though.

azn_tomato
03-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey, thats pretty much how i hold my racquet! Although a tiny bit more space.
I recently started caring much more about my form and all, and i looked at my grip when i'd play and be like "Is this right?" but i was afraid to make a topic because i felt it was a really, really stupid question.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 09:21 PM
When i hit a forehand, I've been told that the spacing in between my index finger and my other fingers is more spread out than the norm. I was reading up on the racquet lag/drag thread and it said that having the racquet lag a bit is the result of a relaxed wrist and it induces more speed, power and spin. My brother told me that maybe this spacing is preventing me from letting that racquet drag and whip into the ball. Do any pros do this, and is there anything wrong with doing this? I'll hopefully upload a pic in a bit.

You're supposed to separate your pointer from the other fingers. As for pros, JHH keeps a hammer grip on her one handed backhand, but just about every pro has the pointer away from the other fingers during a forehand grip. I don't even know where there's an issue, but if you thought keeping the pointer apart was wrong, you needn't worry.

Solat
03-31-2008, 09:37 PM

is this TM in disguise?

i totally agree about trigger grip being the bomb

Kuzarain
03-31-2008, 11:51 PM
yep, that's the way to go(trigger grip), i also use it on my one-hbh, but only the middle is spread there,the others maybe just a milimeter

Dr. K
04-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Anyone remember the plastic trigger you could integrate with your grip? "Back in the day" (70's/80's) there was a gripping aid you placed under the leather grip that stuck out between the wraps. You put your index finger on it like a trigger, spread out even further than this photo. Supposed to give you extra leverage for kick serves, etc.

Damn, I'm old.:cry:

Rickson
04-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Anyone remember the plastic trigger you could integrate with your grip? "Back in the day" (70's/80's) there was a gripping aid you placed under the leather grip that stuck out between the wraps. You put your index finger on it like a trigger, spread out even further than this photo. Supposed to give you extra leverage for kick serves, etc.

Damn, I'm old.:cry:

It seems to be the case.