PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my forehand volley

Federer_pilon
03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
I know I'm not supposed to take a big swing at the ball when I volley, just do a short punching motion. However, I find that I'm not getting enough pace on my forehand volleys, especially when volleying a slow ball. Pace is not an issue when I'm volleying fast balls though. I can just use the ball's pace. So my question is...how do u hit volleys with pace without taking a big swing if the incoming ball is slow?

Rickson
03-31-2008, 06:46 PM
I know I'm not supposed to take a big swing at the ball when I volley, just do a short punching motion. However, I find that I'm not getting enough pace on my forehand volleys, especially when volleying a slow ball. Pace is not an issue when I'm volleying fast balls though. I can just use the ball's pace. So my question is...how do u hit volleys with pace without taking a big swing if the incoming ball is slow?

I'm glad you're not using that abomination known as the swinging volley. No pace balls are the easiest balls to volley, but I don't bother trying to rip low volleys, I use a little slice and drop volley. It wouldn't make a lot of sense trying to rip a low volley anyway. High volleys that have no pace are extremely easy to volley; just punch down on those suckas.

Bagumbawalla
03-31-2008, 07:14 PM
There is no one, all encompasing, rule for hitting volleys.

There are "touch volleys" that you hit very gently, allowing them to drop into the court, volleys that you pop through with pace for winners, volleys with slice for control and accurate placement, half-volleys, volleys that resemble smashes, low volleys, high volleys, poached volleys.

All have their time and place. Some you hit hard, some gently. As mentioned above, you do not have to take a big swing at the ball to hit it forcefully.

In general, your volley will resemble a short jab or "punch". Timing and positoning, combined with a good grip (continental) and lots of practice will do the trick.

Have someone just toss you hundreds of balls across the net. Stand back from the net about 6 (or so) feet, so you are not tempted to just pound them over the net. Practice volleying them to first one baseline corner and then the other, then alternate down the middle shots and and angled volleys to where the service line meets the side line. Just or fun every once in a while send over a drop-volley that lands just a couple feet, or less, from the net.

Practice is the key.

quicken
03-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Why bother trying to hit a winner off a slow incoming ball when you are at the net? Harass the player, place the ball where its going to hurt the opponent the most, no need to wham the ball in.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I love slow ball volleys. Those slow ball volleys are so easy to smash! Fast ball volleys are actually tougher than slow ball volleys for 99% of volleyers. The OP falls in the 1% for some odd reason.

Djokovicfan4life
03-31-2008, 07:42 PM
On most fast shots you should just punch the ball, but if you get a slow sitter don't be afraid to blast that crap into next week. :twisted:

Even pros swing on volleys when the ball is slow enough, just watch the Bryan brothers!

Rickson
03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
On most fast shots you should just punch the ball, but if you get a slow sitter don't be afraid to blast that crap into next week. :twisted:

Even pros swing on volleys when the ball is slow enough, just watch the Bryan brothers!

I swing down for sure on volleys above the net. As for actual swinging volleys, I only do those for long volleys and I'm talking behind the service line. I would never do a swinging volley on regulation volleys, but like I said, I definitely swing down on high volleys. Maybe the op is thinking that swinging down on a volley is like a standard swinging volley but it's definitely not. The swinging volley is ok for long balls, but for standard volleys, it's an abomination.

Federer_pilon
03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Actually the volleys I was talking about all the slow ones above the net. I got a few of those today but I didn't want to get a bad habit of swinging at them so I tried to just block them. The lack of space on the ball resulted in a weak but deep volley that the other player had no problem at all to return.

Federer_pilon
03-31-2008, 08:29 PM
i know the difference between the so-called standard volleys and swinging volleys. Swinging volleys are just like your regular forehand or backhand stroke except that you take the ball in the air before the bounce. I can actually hit a pretty good swinging backhand volley (1 hander) but I only do it from midcourt, not at the net. Does anyone hit swinging backhand volleys with a 1 hander? It's a shot I barely ever see people hit.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Actually the volleys I was talking about all the slow ones above the net. I got a few of those today but I didn't want to get a bad habit of swinging at them so I tried to just block them. The lack of space on the ball resulted in a weak but deep volley that the other player had no problem at all to return.

Those are the absolute easiest volleys around! Don't be afraid to swing down on slow, high volleys. Everyone who can volley worth a crap swings down on high volleys.

split-step
03-31-2008, 08:42 PM

How's your backhand volley on such balls?

Federer_pilon
03-31-2008, 08:59 PM
How's your backhand volley on such balls?

Better than my forehand volley. I can hit it with more pace. Actually I use a bit of slice on my backhand volley to help me control it but I don't swing. I just tilt my racquet face a little bit and use a little downward motion of my arm. Is that bad?
The backhand volley feels way more natural than the forehand volley for sure...at least for me.

split-step
03-31-2008, 09:07 PM
The reason I asked how your backhand volley was is because your problem sounds like you aren't stepping into your volley.
This is the classic case with the forehand volley when you can volley fine when the ball is hit hard at you and you just have to punch it back but when you get a slow ball and you try to do that, no oomph on the volley.

It is not a matter of just swinging down because if you don't have forward momentum you will net your volleys if you swing down.

(The backhand volley almost forces you to take the ball in front and close the stance, thus naturally causing you to get your body weight into the shot)

For slower balls to your forehand, you have to get into position and step into the shot, get your body weight behind the shot and that will provide the momentum for you to punch the volley.

You don't need a big backswing. A little backswing will suffice.

Look at some clips. Here is Rafael Nadal with a high forehand volley. He doesn't hit is as aggressively, but rather hits it short, yet he still steps into the volley. Notice basically very little backswing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMS8NGfUQAs&feature=related

Here is Pete Sampras hitting a forehand volley. This he is putting away. Notice that he steps into this volley as well, even though he has to stretch a bit to get to it. Again notice very little backswing and no swinging down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6E3vPigzxI

This is a great sideways clip of Steffi hitting an aggressive forehand volley off a high defensive slice. She takes a slightly bigger backswing than the previous guys probably because that ball was slow, but see how aggressively she gets her body into the shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6vtxak-9iQ

Also she didn't swing down. Don't do that. It will cause more problems than fix. Advance players can do that because they have ultimate control of the racquet head.

Off The Wall
03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Split-Step is correct. Move to and through your volleys if you can. Your momentum will add pace. Your lack of swing will allow more control.

Rickson
03-31-2008, 09:26 PM
It depends on how close he is to the net. There is absolutely nothing wrong with swinging down on a high volley that is coming at you slowly because you should be closing in on that sucka anyway. I'm an excellent volleyer and I have no fear of swinging down on slow incoming volleys and you don't want to tell me I don't know how to volley.

Zachol82
03-31-2008, 09:33 PM
I love slow ball volleys. Those slow ball volleys are so easy to smash! Fast ball volleys are actually tougher than slow ball volleys for 99% of volleyers. The OP falls in the 1% for some odd reason.

The OP falls in this 1% because he is simply blocking back the shots. So naturally the shots would be blocked back with more pace if it was traveling faster toward him just like when you hit against the wall.

You really can't smash a ball unless it's over your head and that would be considered an overhead. If you do "smash" the ball when you are volleying then you are not just simply "punching" the ball like the OP is stating.

The only way you can return a slow and low volley with a lot of pace is if you take your racquet back further...but then that would be considered a wide swing. So...I really don't know how you would do this either. I just angle these slow volleys to the far left or far right.

Federer_pilon
03-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks for taking the time to provide such an elaborate reply. I appreciate it.

The reason I asked how your backhand volley was is because your problem sounds like you aren't stepping into your volley.
This is the classic case with the forehand volley when you can volley fine when the ball is hit hard at you and you just have to punch it back but when you get a slow ball and you try to do that, no oomph on the volley.

It is not a matter of just swinging down because if you don't have forward momentum you will net your volleys if you swing down.

(The backhand volley almost forces you to take the ball in front and close the stance, thus naturally causing you to get your body weight into the shot)

For slower balls to your forehand, you have to get into position and step into the shot, get your body weight behind the shot and that will provide the momentum for you to punch the volley.

Look at some clips. Here is Rafael Nadal with a high forehand volley. He doesn't hit is as aggressively, but rather hits it short, yet he still steps into the volley. Notice basically very little backswing.

Here is Pete Sampras hitting a forehand volley. This he is putting away. Notice that he steps into this volley as well, even though he has to stretch a bit to get to it. Again notice very little backswing and no swinging down.

This is a great sideways clip of Steffi hitting an aggressive forehand volley off a high defensive slice. She takes a slightly bigger backswing than the previous guys probably because that ball was slow, but see how aggressively she gets her body into the shot.

Also she didn't swing down. Don't do that. It will cause more problems than fix. Advance players can do that because they have ultimate control of the racquet head.

split-step
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
It depends on how close he is to the net. There is absolutely nothing wrong with swinging down on a high volley that is coming at you slowly because you should be closing in on that sucka anyway. I'm an excellent volleyer and I have no fear of swinging down on slow incoming volleys and you don't want to tell me I don't know how to volley.

lol defensive much?

Rickson
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
The OP falls in this 1% because he is simply blocking back the shots.

You got that right.

You really can't smash a ball unless it's over your head and that would be considered an overhead.

If you move in on a ball that's coming in slowly, you can smash that baby. I've done it plenty of times and I'm not referring to overheads.

The only way you can return a slow and low volley with a lot of pace is if you take your racquet back further...but then that would be considered a wide swing. So...I really don't know how you would do this either. I just angle these slow volleys to the far left or far right.

The op already said he was talking about forehand volleys above net height.

Federer_pilon
03-31-2008, 09:45 PM
I noticed on that on the volley that Sampras hit in that video his racquet face goes horizontal after contact with the ball. Does he do that on purpose? for control?

Rickson
03-31-2008, 09:48 PM
I noticed on that on the volley that Sampras hit in that video his racquet face goes horizontal after contact with the ball. Does he do that on purpose? for control?

He put a little slice on it, that's all. You definitely don't want to do that on volleys above the net. You want to punch those volleys. Slice volleys are good for low volleys.

split-step
03-31-2008, 09:56 PM

Most forehand volleys look like that. It is more prominent on down the line forehand volley than on cross court. It is just a result of punching forward to the target. It is not being done on volition or purpose.

Cindysphinx
04-01-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm with split-step. You can volley a slow-paced ball hard and deep if you are aggressive with your footwork/weight transfer. You'd be surprised how much pace you can generate by using your legs to volley (not that I am always successful at this).

Yes, you can take a big old backswing and crush a slow ball that is above net level if you are nice and close to the net. I think you will miss a higher percentage of these shots than if you use proper FH volley technique. This is especially so if you are farther from the net.

Nellie
04-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Agreed to the answers above about stepping into the shot - you will see the Bryans stepping 5-6 feet forward on volleys.

Also, if the ball is slow, why not use touch and angle to put the ball away

paulfreda
04-02-2008, 04:15 AM
Hitting down on a volley that is below your head is a very bad idea IMO ..... Unless you are very close to the net AND you are angling a winner OR or in doubles hitting to the netman's feet [and even this is risky against a good player].

Much better technique to hit thru the ball to place it deep. JMHO

Vision84
04-02-2008, 04:28 AM
For a high paceless ball you are free to add a tiny bit of a back swing and then punch foreward with the same form as you would without the backswing. This will get your rackethead a little faster and help you handle the high balls. Don't try to overhit it though as I see a lot of people miss these volleys for this reason.

I would ignore people who tell you to just swing the crap out of the ball. Follow the advice I gave so you don't lose form, overhit and mess up the shot. One problem I used to have was I would do this and get wristy on these and mess up as a result. Keep that wrist firm.