PDA

View Full Version : Prokennex Copper Ace

Cup8489
03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
I just recently played with my uncle's old PK Copper Ace...it appears to be a 93 sq in midsize.

i threw a tournagrip over the original leather to match my preferences..and it still has the cheap nylon original strings..

but when i went out to hit with it, i almost died. the flex was amazing, it is one of the flexiest i've ever played with. the power was nonexistant, which is ok, b/c i prefer this. but i had a hard time picking my o3's back up again, since the differences were so great.

does anyone know of any modern equivalent to this frame?

i read somewhere that there have been several model cosmetic changes, not sure about characteristic changes, but if it helps, the pj is a dark blue, with copper colored decals (a line around the frame, with copper ace on the left throat)

can someone help me find a modern match to this frame?

anirut
03-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Cup,

No, no modern frames matches those of the good old days ...

But, if you like flexy stuff, there's the PK Redondo, one of the flexiest modern stick that plays "almost" like the old days (except for that old days' feel).

Check the link in my signature.

hit2mybh
03-31-2008, 08:50 PM
that was my stick when i played juniors, was a great racket. I had issues with them breaking though (and not from abuse). i had one break on a stringer also, but that was my fault for walking away from the stringer mid job for some pizza.

Deuce
04-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I just recently played with my uncle's old PK Copper Ace...it appears to be a 93 sq in midsize.

i threw a tournagrip over the original leather to match my preferences..and it still has the cheap nylon original strings..

but when i went out to hit with it, i almost died. the flex was amazing, it is one of the flexiest i've ever played with. the power was nonexistant, which is ok, b/c i prefer this. but i had a hard time picking my o3's back up again, since the differences were so great.

does anyone know of any modern equivalent to this frame?

i read somewhere that there have been several model cosmetic changes, not sure about characteristic changes, but if it helps, the pj is a dark blue, with copper colored decals (a line around the frame, with copper ace on the left throat)

can someone help me find a modern match to this frame?
The head size of the original Copper Ace is around 86 sq. in., I believe.
As for the colour... I saw it more as a charcoal/brown base with the copper colour piping...

I used the original Copper Ace back in the early to mid 80s. One of the best frames I ever owned - great feel.

As another has said, you'll not find a frame today like that.
The closest would be something like the Prestige Classic 600/Mid. But even that's not exactly current.

Just be thankful you have it and enjoy it.

dallasstarsfan
04-01-2008, 03:12 AM
If I remember correctly, the copper ace was part graphite and part fiberglass (which is why it is so flexy compared to modern frames). I don't recall any modern frame using fiberglass.

0d1n
04-01-2008, 04:40 AM
If I remember correctly, the copper ace was part graphite and part fiberglass (which is why it is so flexy compared to modern frames). I don't recall any modern frame using fiberglass.

Volkl dnx 10 mid is pretty "modern"

MichaelChang
04-01-2008, 05:57 AM
I have a Copper Ace. The racket is 40% graphite, 60% fiberglass. Here explains the flex. Yes, a very very nice racket. I can fully swing through and the ball lands in deep, that is the control I need. The racket beam is the thinnest I have played with, as thin as a PS85, slightly thinner than PC600.

The racket head size I would say more likely to be 89.5, because I put it right next to PC600, they look same size, and put it next to a PS85, the copper Ace is obviously bigger head.

Cup8489
04-01-2008, 10:36 AM
any string setups i should give a try? i'm never gonna put poly in it, no way.

Colecash
04-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I actually learned how to play with this racket, itīs my father racket and he still uses it with luxilon alu power rough and itīs amazing. Although lowpowered itīs very comfortable and with lots of control. The headsize is 90sq and the mold is very similar to the prestigeclassic600, althought the balance is more alike with my trustworthy Prostaff 6.0 85. The cooperAce is the main reason i could play so well with the ps85 the first time i hit with it(14 years old). Great racket

rabidcow
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
This racket is insane, the amount of flex is unbelievable. I still take them out for a swing every now and then. The truth is that they just don't make rackets that flexible anymore, I think it was either 40 or 60% fiberglass (Can't remember which way it was*). I guess the closest thing today would be a Redondo mid but that would be a stretch

Bud
04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
This racket is insane, the amount of flex is unbelievable. I still take them out for a swing every now and then. The truth is that they just don't make rackets that flexible anymore, I think it was either 40 or 60% fiberglass (Can't remember which way it was*). I guess the closest thing today would be a Redondo mid but that would be a stretch

The Donnay P1I is 25% FG, 75% graphite and is quite flexible. It's probably closer to the Copper Ace than the Redondo Mid.

toughshot
04-01-2008, 05:53 PM
any estimates on the flex rating?

i think maybe low 50's

Ten_nuts
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
In my opinion, the mid size frame with noticable flex is the Wilson K Blabe Tour, Head Prestige Classic 600, Pro Kennex Redondo Mid.

MichaelChang
04-02-2008, 09:20 AM
I have hit Copper Ace and PC600 side by side. PC600 has higher power and stiffness, and thicker beam. They have similar swing weight, with Copper Ace slightly lighter, as I feel. And note the Copper Ace has no bumper, but PC600 has CAP, so I tend to say inside out these are 2 very different rackets.

rabidcow
04-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I think flex may be right around 50 +/- a few points, although just a shot in the dark

itsstephenyo
04-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I have one that I hit with once in a while. The flex of the racquet is insane. I can literally feel the racquet BEND every time I hit a ball. The flex is most noticeable when doing the little ball pick up thing.

Like someone else stated earlier in the thread, it's 40% graphite, 60% fiberglass. It would be my main stick if it were stiffer and more powerful.

Deuce
04-02-2008, 11:38 PM
I have one that I hit with once in a while. The flex of the racquet is insane. I can literally feel the racquet BEND every time I hit a ball. The flex is most noticeable when doing the little ball pick up thing.

You should try a Head XRC. It's significantly more flexible than the Copper Ace, even.
Talk about feeling the racquet bend... with the XRC, it feels like the racquet head is bending to touch my elbow.
It has the most comfortable feel of any frame I've ever hit with.

vwfye
04-03-2008, 12:11 AM
i loved my Copper Ace! it was my first 'serious' play racket.