PDA

View Full Version : Hi, Help on my serve *VIDEO*

crazytennis
04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi, I've been watching the forum for a couple of weeks and see that people post videos. So, I finally made a video of myself and posted it on youtube and registered here.
Could you please give me some tips ?

I can see that the knee bend isn't that pronounced and also my trophy pose is lacking.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z15iwFzX1IQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ommsXOGX8k&feature=user

crazytennis
04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Also, Hello everyone.

mmeyer1
04-01-2008, 09:10 AM
I see you do a pinpoint stance where u bring ur back foot forward. I also noticed that you seem to bring the right foot way too far from the left foot which will open up ur shoulders and make you lose some power. Instead try to bring your right foot at most even with your left foot and try to push up with either both feet, or mostly left foot. I think those small improvements with ur feet will do wonders for your serve. That and some minor toss tweaking, and you will probably have a very nice serve!

Vision84
04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Definitely what mmeyer1 said. I thought you had a strange elbow drop and a strange L position but realized it is probably the way your feet are aligned. This is the only thing that stood out to me though.

crazytennis
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks mmeyer1 and Vision84.

Oh yeah, I was watching the video again and found out that I move my foot a lot to the right(to the point of near foot faults).

Others, Please?

smoothtennis
04-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Yep...what they said for sure.

I can see when you load, and then step up, you lose a lot of your coiling as your hips and shoulder square up, before you swing. That is going to help a lot if you can keep that coiled position up until you start your swing.

BallBeemer
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
It's better when you don't 'walk' serve. If you stay in the same position every time then you will get better consistency.

baek57
04-01-2008, 05:44 PM
looks like you have a wild ball toss to me. keep it under control. you also drop your left arm too soon.

str33t
04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Here's a video of my serve:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GKgadWPeFZg

You can see how my back foot comes together with my front foot and I push off from there. Like other posters said, pulling your right foot too far to the right opens up your shoulders, which results in lost power.

Oh, sorry for the terrible quality. The video was taken on my cell phone. 8-)

Mansewerz
04-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Me saying what's on my mind would make this thread like a broken record, but i'll say it anyways. I totally agree with what everyone else said. Because your right foot comes out that far, you lose stability and power. You'll be amazed by how much better you serve will get when you fix that.

quicken
04-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Wrong stance, toss is way too high, wrong form in general.

I suggset you use a platform stance so you don't have to move your feet much. To practice toss height, well... that can only come with great amount of practice. You are opening up your body too early, which comes from the stance you are using, thus you are arming the ball which will result in a slower paced shot and pain in your arm in the long run. Your trophy position is wrong, your body is open towards the courts. This will force your arm to do the whole swing which is called "arming the ball." It's bad, don't do it.

The things I said are kidn of redundant, but I hope you realize that your trophy position and your stance are what is ruining your road to achieving a good serve. Good luck :D

H. Ju
04-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Agree with baek57, try to have more consistant ball toss. I've actually seen the whole video clip and could see that the good ones were with good ball toss. And also (I think this too relates with the ball toos but), your hitting point is too low. I think you should try to hit the ball when it's at a higher point. Good luck!

H. Ju
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Just watched your second clip (didn't know you had two), and agree with what everyone said about your stance. I think the problem with your stance is that by having a wide stance you rotate your shoulder when you drag your right foot to your final stand position, so even before you hit the ball your right shoulder is already opened and facing the net. What you should try to do is (whatever stance you choose) to close (or hold) your shoulder closed (meaning that your right shoulder rotated to your back) and hit the ball with your whole upper body rotation. I hope this helps!

superbooga
04-01-2008, 10:07 PM
If you can't get more than 60% of your serves in, SLOW DOWN, no matter what. Your actual swing motion is actually not bad at all, but you need to work on balance, consistency, and hitting the ball cleanly. Slowing down will improve all of these tremendously. You going beyond your limits. You don't need such a big body motion.

A good remedy for a bad serve is to practice the components of the serve in isolation before putting all the pieces together. Try serving while facing straight forward. Try holding your racquet in the trophy position, then toss the ball and hit it. Try serving while kneeing on the ground. Trying serving with a super low ball toss. These are just some ideas -- work on getting 90% of your serves with these various styles.

fuzz nation
04-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Two big components that power the serve are rotation and vertical drive. The gang has already pointed out how your stance is opening you up early - there's not much uncoiling left to do by the time you hit the ball.

Your weight is often moving in the right direction; toward your target. Not too tough to figure that one out, right? Do your best to make that happen consistently.

Watch a couple of serves in your videos and pay attention to the height of your head and shoulders as you approach contact. They remain at pretty much the same level. Also, later in the first video when you move over to hit to the deuce court, you can easily see your hips and feet kicking out sideways as you hit those serves. That's a huge component of energy evaporating on you.

Think of the motion you'd have to use to try to throw your racquet over the far fence if it weighed maybe five pounds. You'd need an assertive leg drive up through your release and your momentum would probably make you jump forward into the court a little bit. That's the same type of drive that your legs can give you as you surge up through contact. It doesn't have to be overblown, but the big muscles in your legs can pitch in some more. Just keep it loose.

crazytennis
04-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Thanks guys! I'll try to improve the right foot moving too much problem next time I practice.

Thank you once again. :D