PDA

View Full Version : adding points to make a racquet more headlight

mikejsb876
01-04-2005, 07:40 PM
how many grams equal one point and where on the grip ( if i have lead tape) ... should i add the weight to? any dis-advantages about having a 8+ or more point headlight racquet?

iloveradical
01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
As long as I have experimented, about 5gs of lead tape change one point, when it is placed at the end of the handle or just inside the butt cap (Wilson & Dunlop). Aside from the amount of lead tapes, another problem you have to consider is where to put lead tapes, because even the same amount change the swing weight by a lot depending on lead tape spots. IMO, simple balance point doesn't have any meaning unless the place of weight (swing weight) is taken into account.

rich s
01-05-2005, 03:12 AM
it depends on how heavy the frame is.

s = d*(m / (M + m))

where
s = shift in cg (cm)
d = distance from added mass to original balance point (cm)
m = mass added (kg)
M = original mass off the racquet (kg)

mikejsb876
01-05-2005, 05:37 AM
after i add the lead tape and weight.... and then find the balance point ( in cm) how would i know how many points that is?

for instance if i were to find the point to be 40cm on a 27 inch frame

regardless of the weight i added.... how would i figure the points

rich s
01-05-2005, 06:33 AM
a point is 1/8" = .125"

1" = 2.54 cm

27" x 2.54 cm per inch = 68.58cm

68.58cm/2 = 34.29 cm

40cm - 34.29 cm = 5.71cm

5.71 cm / 2.54 cm per inch = 2.25"

2.25" / .125 inches per point = 18 points Head heavy

Gaines Hillix
01-05-2005, 09:03 AM
how many grams equal one point and where on the grip ( if i have lead tape) ... should i add the weight to? any dis-advantages about having a 8+ or more point headlight racquet?

As Rich said, 1 point = 1/8" and is used as a reference to how far the balance point of the frame is from the mid-point(half the distance from the butt to the tip). Any change in balance depends on how much weight you add and where you add it. You can use Rich's calculations to determine where it will be for a given amount of weight at a given point. If you add lead tape to the butt end of the raquet to make it more headlight it will be more stable on hard hit balls and will transmit less shock to your arm. If a frame is very head light and also has a low swingweight to begin with it will feel unstable. It's sort of a flyswatter feel instead of being substantial and stable feeling. That happens with some of the sub 12 oz frames that are extremely head light. The Prince More Precison and Volkl Tour 8 come to mind.

mikejsb876
01-05-2005, 12:07 PM
is a balance board or the babolat balancer... the only true way to find the balance point... personally i do not own either... do i have any alternatives? i simply want to add 3 or 4 points to a babolat control racquet i own... iloveradical said about 5 grams equal to one point... but it is a very general calculation...

JoostT
01-05-2005, 03:35 PM
is a balance board or the babolat balancer... the only true way to find the balance point... personally i do not own either... do i have any alternatives? i simply want to add 3 or 4 points to a babolat control racquet i own... iloveradical said about 5 grams equal to one point... but it is a very general calculation...
Sure, I use a round stick and a table. :)

Steve Huff
01-05-2005, 03:57 PM
...and a ruler.

matchpoints
01-05-2005, 05:20 PM
I just made a straight line on my desk with a wet erase marker. Then I made a mark 13.5" from the egde of the desk. I aligned the racquet on the line with the butt hanging off the edge and marked the spot where it started to swing down. I tried it with the head part hanging off also and got the same result. 6 pts head heavy :( no wonder I was having a hard time maneuring that stick. Time to take some lead tape off :)

I think it's pretty accurate since my desk has a sharp edge.

Using a round stick is probably better in case you don't have a straight beam racquet.